Cruiseline formal wear for women

I have rented tuxes for my sons from Cruiseline formals & they have always been very nice & fit well. My question, has anyone ever tried the women's offerings? We have a longer cruise coming up & I am wondering about renting one of the ladies tops to go with my long black skirt. Any thoughts?

Wow, Rosie, that was a bit harsh. :eek:

I’ve looked at the offerings, but none of them really suit my taste, so I’ve never used them. I have so many formal things that don’t get worn very often, so it’s a treat for me to get to wear them. I suppose if I didn’t have my own, it would definitely be an option.

I don't think a LADY would wear rented clothing. Go buy something

What does one have to do with the other?

I have never done this as I am picky about fit and also have a great formal wardrobe. I think it would be fine for perhaps a sparkly top to fill in the gaps. I have seen some of the offerings and they are pretty much the same as the dressy attire offered for sale in the shops.

I imagine for the price, you could find something on sale or online (or both!) for the same investment and then be sure of the fit and the fashion.

I imagine for the price, you could find something on sale or online (or both!) for the same investment and then be sure of the fit and the fashion.

That's the problem. I can't find anything on line or locally that I like or can wear. I just wanted a dressy top to wear with my long black skirt so that I didn't have to pack 2 full outfits. I guess I should have shopped for this around the holidays, but I didn't & now I am paying the price. I have another top I can take, but it has glitter on it, and I hate leaving a trail of glitter. I thought renting might be the answer, but I am rethinking that. I guess I will be packing 3 full outfits. Thanks for the help

Have you called and asked what they offer? Are you a hard size to fit or an off the rack size gal?

I know that Rosie 1 might be offended but have you looked at consignment shops or thrift stores? I know they are hit or miss but I have seen nice things.

How much time do you have before your cruise?

Have you called and asked what they offer? Are you a hard size to fit or an off the rack size gal?

I know that Rosie 1 might be offended but have you looked at consignment shops or thrift stores? I know they are hit or miss but I have seen nice things.

How much time do you have before your cruise?

We cruise at the end of April. Yes, I have checked the few consignment stores that our town has. I wear a sz 18 & prefer not to wear sleeveless tops. All I can find still on the racks is left over velvet holiday wear. I will keep looking of course, but I was hoping someone would say "Yes, rent them, they are fabulous"

Skyview - Since you're not going until next month, check out ebay! I know I keep repeating myself, but until December when I really started looking hard for formalwear for Noordam's inaugural, I didn't know about it either. I bought a red cocktail dress ($25, new with tags) & a full-length blue/purple gown ($9, gently used - it's gorgeous).

I just could not find anything I liked locally. Carefully measure something you already have that fits you well. If measurements aren't offered in the auction, ask the seller. You can't go by sizes. I was just thrilled with my ebay experience & my cruise.

Good luck & have a wonderful time!

What a wonderful idea! I love the idea of women being able to rent clothes just as men have the option to do. In fact, 16 years ago I rented my wedding dress and am very thankful because who wants to store something for "x" number of years and hope their daughter wants to wear the old thing! I would rent in a heart beat over buying.

Please post a picture - I bet you will look stunning!

Happy cruising!

I would check out some online sites for a while, you may get lucky and find something perfect.

For myself, I would hesitate to rent. From what I've seen, the stuff is not very attractive and the rental price is very high.

I would also consider wearing one outfit twice, it sounds like you have 3 formals, right? Wear the same outfit the first and third nights, with different accessories. No one will even notice or care and if they do, it will be their problem, not yours, to deal with. I'll bet you would not be the only woman onboard to do this.

... but I was hoping someone would say "Yes, rent them, they are fabulous"

OK, I'll say it for you or a variation. "Yes, rent them. They might not be absolutely fabulous, but, who cares? You'll never see your fellow passengers again."

Ladies do they want, just as gentlemen do. If a gentleman can rent a tux, why can't a lady rent an outfit?

Not often that I encounter such rudeness on the fashion thread. I think the rental tops would be just fine. HeavySurf is right, if a man can rent, why not a women.

Judy

Good grief! If you can afford to cruise, you can afford to go buy an outift to wear to dinner. Yea, you might need to leave whatever little town you live in to buy it, but get over it.

This is not a fair accessment of someone else's situation. I am in the same boat. I will be foregoing formal attire night (they will let you in wearing anything but a swimsuit) as I have spent just about every last dime I've saved just to get on the boat.

A nice pair of slacks from Walmart of Kohls with a blouse would be very nice, and inexpensive.

Rosie 1 ..... I am so angry with your post I could spit. Living in a small town has nothing to do with it. There are many of us out there who use a formal dress once while on the ship and that is it!! Many of us would rather spend our hard earned money elsewhere. There are a lot of people who cruise, and yes, while it is a luxury it is often something that is scrimped and saved for. Spending another bundle for a dress to wear once is just a waste.

Maybe you can afford to go to New York or Paris for a gaggle of dresses, but some of us just have more common sense.

I agree with others. As long as you are nicely dressed and comfortable, that is all that matters.

Kim

This poster Rosie1 sounds a lot like "wonga" over on the TripAdvisor boards. This "person" is wreaking havoc over there something terrible. Flippant & mean spirited remarks. I can only pray that poster has not found their way over here to our happy little community! ;)

I say if you see somewthing you like and they have it your size rent for heavens sake and save room/weight on the luggage. I think renting is a great idea. Sorry I didnt think of it before I went out and bought my stuff. I will certainy keep it in mind for next time...

This poster Rosie1 sounds a lot like "wonga" over on the TripAdvisor boards. This "person" is wreaking havoc over there something terrible. Flippant & mean spirited remarks. I can only pray that poster has not found their way over here to our happy little community! ;)

Well Said and Thank You

The skirts rent for $30 & the tops for $20. For less than $50 I purchased 2 formal outfits on ebay. Also, the sizes are only listed as XS - 2XL, with no measurements provided. I'll go out on a limb & say that most women would like more info than that for something they aren't able to try on ahead of time. What happens if you get to the ship & it doesn't fit?

I'm guessing that some bridal shops rent ladies formalwear so that might be an option. Then you could try it on first.

Rosie - I'm sure you'll look fabulous in whatever you purchase in whatever big city you buy it in. :)

Good grief! If you can afford to cruise, you can afford to go buy an outift to wear to dinner. Yea, you might need to leave whatever little town you live in to buy it, but get over it.

You are just plain wrong. YOU NEED TO GET OVER YOURSELF!!! You should be ashamed of yourself and I can't imagine the hell the people around you must go through day in and day out. Thank goodness I don't know you and you aren't one of my family members.

Skyview, I hope you figure out what to do and that no matter what you decide that you have a wonderful cruise...:)

The reasons I would not rent would be price, fit & selection. In other words--all the things that other people have mentioned:p However, if YOU have found items to rent that appeal to you and are within your budget, there's no reason not to do it. I'm sort of a control freak, too, so I want to have everything squared away before I get on the ship.

In these halcyon days of internet shopping, though, living in the boonies shouldn't hold you back. Trust me, I know about living in the boonies without shopping! That's why the UPS driver knows my name & address as well as my husband's office and in-laws house--if he needs a signature, he'll drive around until he finds one of us to make his delivery:p See, sometimes living in a small town is nice for shopping!

Archived