Rental car in Aruba?

Ravensfan1973

On 1/27/2023 at 8:25 PM, MotownH2O said:

I have used Jay's Car Rental several times, last in September 2022 with great success.  They meet you at the Pier and cars are in walking distance (5 minutes).  www.jayscarrentalaruba.com

Did you have to have the rental back by a certain time?  We are in port until 10pm.

• 3 weeks later...

You will find many vendors as you walk out the port.  So if you don't rent ahead of time, no worries.  We've rented there a couple of times.  We were able to keep the car until 7 pm.  It was dark then anyway so didn't need it

Edited by Duanerice1
  • Like 1

Questions about renting a car in Aruba:

I see I can rent a car at the port.  But we are staying for a few days post cruise.  Can we return the car to the airport?

Do they have automatic transmissions?

Do they rent vehicles that can accommodate four people with luggage?

What side of the road do they drive on?

Which rental agency would be best, in your opinion?

Thanks, Bill

Easy peasy.... Rent ahead of time or at the port.....  drive on 'normal' side of the road.  Just rent a big car or a van....  I think we used Royal and they were fine......

Not sure if you can return to the airport....

Question, which cruise line finishes their cruise in Aruba?

Have fun

13 hours ago, Duanerice1 said:

Easy peasy.... Rent ahead of time or at the port.....  drive on 'normal' side of the road.  Just rent a big car or a van....  I think we used Royal and they were fine......

Not sure if you can return to the airport....

Question, which cruise line finishes their cruise in Aruba?

Have fun

Thanks for your responses.  I will check before reserving if I can drop at airport.

Windstar Pride ends a 14 day cruise from Barbados in Aruba.  And then leaves for Panama Canal.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 4:03 PM, ttnc4me said:

Is it cheaper to rent ahead of time?  I feel like they know you're at their mercy if renting at the port upon disembarking. 

yes.  I did hertz through Expedia.  It was $45.  Avis was $60.  Was just there 2 weeks ago.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2023 at 7:05 AM, jean87510 said:

yes.  I did hertz through Expedia.  It was $45.  Avis was $60.  Was just there 2 weeks ago.

Did you pick up from the airport? Or...? How did you get the car?

57 minutes ago, ttnc4me said:

Did you pick up from the airport? Or...? How did you get the car?

We walked into town to get it.  It was about a mile.  It was a little confusing as to the pickup but everyone was helpful and we did find the Hertz desk.  We dropped off at the airport and took a cab back to port.  

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/30/2023 at 7:21 AM, butterfly55 said:

Hi Everyone. We are only going to be in Aruba from 7 to 3 which of course means we have to be back on ship around 2pm. Do you think it is worth it to rent a vehicle for that short of a time? Thanks for your responses.

Well, that really depends upon what you want to see and do. We've rented from the outfit that is just outside the cruise pier three times and have been totally satisfied. The cost was about $50 for a small/mid size sedan with automatic transmission. All the cars from that agency and 2 - 5 years old but clean and in great condition, considering....

If you want to go to places like the lighthouse, Baby Beach or explore the side of the island that has a "low rise" beach area (no structures over three stories, if memory serves), the high rise area and down to Malmok for shore entry snorkeling, yes, renting makes sense. However, know that roads are poorly marked and if there is a sign it will be in Dutch. But it's always pretty easy to find your way back or to a place if you know it's location relative to landmarks.

If you were going to be on Aruba longer I would strongly suggest using the local bus service, which is very good and costs about $10 for a full day of hop on/hop off. The bus depot is almost directly across the main road from the cruise ship pier. Just be sure to study the big map there or online to be sure you get on the right bus. All buses do circular routes and most of the time you don't have to wait more than 20 minutes or so until one comes by.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 10:59 AM, ssawjo said:

Thanks for your responses.  I will check before reserving if I can drop at airport.

Windstar Pride ends a 14 day cruise from Barbados in Aruba.  And then leaves for Panama Canal.

Bill

Most of the rental companies aren't allowed to have their vehicles dropped off at the airport anymore,  but most of them have offices just down the road.  Renters usually return the car to the office,  and someone from the company usually drives them to the airport. 

• 1 month later...

We recently used Jay's on a one day cruise stop. They were wonderful. Met us with a sign at the gate and walked us to the car maybe 200 yards away. We didn't have to tell them exactly when we returned - they were waiting at the same public lot in the afternoon. The island is very manageable and very easy driving. Traffic in early March was easy - roads were pretty good.