Splendour on TV.

janecambridge

We have just booked our first ever cruise and it’s on Grandeur in 2024. After watching that Channel 5 series I’m getting worried . It all just looked a tad boring and dare I say a bit like afternoon activities in my mum’s old folks home … I mean i’m in my 60’s myself now  but I was hoping for something a little livelier or glamorous for the very high price tag … 😬

56 minutes ago, Jchisley said:

We have just booked our first ever cruise and it’s on Grandeur in 2024. After watching that Channel 5 series I’m getting worried . It all just looked a tad boring and dare I say a bit like afternoon activities in my mum’s old folks home … I mean i’m in my 60’s myself now  but I was hoping for something a little livelier or glamorous for the very high price tag … 😬

Honestly it is nothing like what they have shown so far 😜😂😂 I think it is very hard to get the 'essence' of a cruise line in a programme like this especially as it is focussing on it from the staff rather than customer point of view but Hi de Hi it definitely isn't.

On port days you are off and out - the more little walking people next to the excursion the more active it is and we would often go off out again on our own after lunch. On sea days you may wish to partake in a few of the friendly (I mean very competitive especially afternoon Trivia) activities to earn some highly sort after Regent points to exchange for a bit of tat at the end of the cruise - my other half just rolled his eyes and disappeared to a quiet area of the ship with his book (unless it was a golf activity which he could win 😜😜)but there is also the gym, exercise classes, spa, champagne lunches, pool, sunbathing, mini golf, short tennis, gazing out as the world slips by It's more like being in an all inclusive luxury hotel/resort but you wake up with a different view each morning.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Honestly it is nothing like what they have shown so far 😜😂😂 I think it is very hard to get the 'essence' of a cruise line in a programme like this especially as it is focussing on it from the staff rather than customer point of view but Hi de Hi it definitely isn't.

On port days you are off and out - the more little walking people next to the excursion the more active it is and we would often go off out again on our own after lunch. On sea days you may wish to partake in a few of the friendly (I mean very competitive especially afternoon Trivia) activities to earn some highly sort after Regent points to exchange for a bit of tat at the end of the cruise - my other half just rolled his eyes and disappeared to a quiet area of the ship with his book (unless it was a golf activity which he could win 😜😜)but there is also the gym, exercise classes, spa, champagne lunches, pool, sunbathing, mini golf, short tennis, gazing out as the world slips by It's more like being in an all inclusive luxury hotel/resort but you wake up with a different view each morning.

Techno123 thank you for this - it’s very reassuring ! The luxury hotel vibe  with spa ,champagne lunches and sunbathing is more my idea of a good time than jigsaw puzzles and origami 🤪

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2023 at 4:50 PM, Jchisley said:

Techno123 thank you for this - it’s very reassuring ! The luxury hotel vibe  with spa ,champagne lunches and sunbathing is more my idea of a good time than jigsaw puzzles and origami 🤪

I couldn't believe the origami session! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It appears we may not see the last episodes of this series for a while.  Channel 5 decided to change their current  Friday night programming schedule, RSSC are

Waiting  for confirmation of the new broadcast time.

I think we’ll probably have been on the Splendor  (March 21st) by the time it’s shown, so we’ll have  had our own experiences of the ship. If it’s anything like our Marner and Explorer cruises,  I’m sure we’ll enjoy everything.

• Like 1

I just can't understand why these shows can't make cruising seem appealing. In the US, the Smithsonian Channel had a show about Explorer that was as bad as your Channel 5. I was in my 20s when The Love Boat was a thing on TV. That show was far from an artistic success, but it actually piqued my interest in cruising, and the rest is history for me.

Times have changed, I guess.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Is there a way to watch the cringe worthy show in the US.  I think I was on Splendor when they taped it.  Anyone have a link? 

You can see the first video in post #8 in this thread. We are in the video . They were filming for about a week after we boarded on Dec 3. The film crew had boarded in SJ, I think, at the end of the cruise before ours. These were Round trip Miami runs. There are a lot lot of staged scenes to make it look like they are filming all through Christmas.

Edited by cwn

9 hours ago, cwn said:

You can see the first video in post #8 in this thread. We are in the video . They were filming for about a week after we boarded on Dec 3. The film crew had boarded in SJ, I think, at the end of the cruise before ours. These were Round trip Miami runs. There are a lot lot of staged scenes to make it look like they are filming all through Christmas.

Post 8 is the Christmas cruise. The series (well 2 so far) is different (and worse 😜😂) and in Northern Europe.

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 10:05 PM, Stefken said:

It appears we may not see the last episodes of this series for a while.  Channel 5 decided to change their current  Friday night programming schedule, RSSC are

Waiting  for confirmation of the new broadcast time.

I think we’ll probably have been on the Splendor  (March 21st) by the time it’s shown, so we’ll have  had our own experiences of the ship. If it’s anything like our Marner and Explorer cruises,  I’m sure we’ll enjoy everything.

Interesting. I was wondering what had happened to the schedule. How they can not complete a short series in consecutive weeks is beyond me!

You’d think RSSC would be a bit upset, especially after sending out a mailing, informing us of the series.

We are looking forward to boarding her anyway. 

Filling in on-line check in Monday, last box to tick, getting closer by the day 🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

12 hours ago, Stefken said:

You’d think RSSC would be a bit upset, especially after sending out a mailing, informing us of the series.

Maybe they are relieved after the adverse feedback on the first cringeworthy episode.

IMO Regent Marketing could salvage the rest of the series by having the voiceover rewritten. Less references to cost and more concentration on value and the good service that we all enjoy.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Maybe they are relieved after the adverse feedback on the first cringeworthy episode.

IMO Regent Marketing could salvage the rest of the series by having the voiceover rewritten. Less references to cost and more concentration on value and the good service that we all enjoy.

100% agree @flossie009, the series about Explorer was so much better. These 2 episodes about Splendor are embarrassing 🥴

3 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Agree.

We we able to watch Episode 3 (don’t know how) but we did. It was slightly better. More about the actual ship, good portion shown of the catering aspect. Chef purchasing fish for a new dish etc. also change over of Captains, so thought the following episodes might have been more  of that ilk. Maybe we’ll see more or maybe we will not. Do we wait with bated breath, no I’ll just look forwards to boarding her in 25 days. 

🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳🛳

• Like 1