Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

2 hours ago, WSR said:

This is our first cruise and are looking forward to it very much!!  Any tips would be appreciated!

Welcome to the wonderful world of river cruising. My tip: join a roll call if you have not done yet.

Would love to see a post or two from people on the river. End of July is very much up in the air as regards river levels.

Pfelling gauge: 264cm, definite trend upwards, forecast suggests 270cm and further. Late on the 13th the 290cm is even a high probability. I believe it when I see it...

notamermaid

On 7/8/2023 at 4:58 PM, lawump said:

Currently sailing on the Viking Var; just left Budapest a few hours ago and currently (as I type this) sailing for Vienna.  We were told at the welcome briefing that we will not be able to sail from Passau to Regensburg.  There is only a 1% chance of rain along our trip for the entire week according to the ship’s hotel manager.  So, unless something unexpected happens, we’ll be bussed to Regensburg.

We arrived in Passau this morning (July 12, 2023) Positively not sailing to Regensburg tonight.  We’ll be bussed to our excursions in Regensburg from the outskirts of Passau, and bussed to our flight home in Munich from Passau.

• Thanks 1

Hi all. I've been checking this thread daily as we sail from Regensburg on 18th August, towards Budapest. I'm a bit befuddlled between the Pfelling gauge and other posts above. What is the likelihood that we will be able to complete the cruise without being bussed? I understand that no one can predict rainfall but I am just looking for pointers. Thanks in advance. Ken 

Thank you for the responses everyone.  It is very much appreciate!

Since neither Hungary nor the Czech Republic uses the Euro, do I need to change some currency to the local currency or do most businesses/restaurants take credit card and/or U.S. or Euro currency?  Thank you in advance!

3 minutes ago, WSR said:

Since neither Hungary nor the Czech Republic uses the Euro, do I need to change some currency to the local currency or do most businesses/restaurants take credit card and/or U.S. or Euro currency?  Thank you in advance!

We obtained Forints (Hungary) from our bank in the States two or three weeks before we left.  There are a number of stores/restaurants that are cash only and they don’t take Euros.  We used our credit card when we could, and the Forints we brought when we needed to.  We had a pre-cruise extension in Budapest and $200 worth of Forints was more than we needed.

13 minutes ago, WSR said:

Both times I have gotten local currency (Prague and Romania) I had trouble spending it. Everything took cards. Did I see few places that were cash only? Yes. 

Just told this evening by our cruise’s program director that ships cannot sail from Regensburg to Passau.  Passengers on those east bound ships are having to change boats by bussing to Passau and boarding a new ship in order to continue their trip to Budapest. 

38 minutes ago, lawump said:

Just told this evening by our cruise’s program director that ships cannot sail from Regensburg to Passau.  Passengers on those east bound ships are having to change boats by bussing to Passau and boarding a new ship in order to continue their trip to Budapest. 

I've been watching on Cruise Mapper and for the last two weeks this has been happening.  I wish Viking would send an e-mail to passengers letting them know about the low water.  I understand it could be a day by day thing, but at this point?

On 7/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, deec said:

Gers, we are doing the European Sojourn this fall and there is so little reviewed about the Bucharest to Budapest portion...Do you have an suggestions that would make our trip better?  Did you do the pre-extension in Transylvania?  Was there much free time that I should plan something in Bucharest?  We are doing the Snagov Monastery & Mogoșoaia Palace excursion on the last day of the pre extension?

I know this is WAY off topic but I am looking for current information and the Roll Calls are quiet quiet for this itinerary.

We did not do the Transylvania pre extension. Only one night for us in Bucharest .  They picked us up and did a bus tour of Bucharest while our luggage was conveyed to the ship. The luggage was in our room when we arrived later in the afternoon. As part of the tour we went to the Village museum, which was interesting. FYI I have just posted a review of our trip.

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Last night I had an apparition at least  that is what I  thought. But  the level at Pfelling did rise well over 300cm. Window of opportunity? Back down a bit now.

notamermaid 

You are not wrong, two Viking ships have made it to Regensburg.  We will see if the one makes it to Nurnberg.  Also the bottle neck in Budapest cleared up.  Three Viking ships had to stay in Bratislava. I think there was bridge or lock work.

I would LOVE to have to go to Bratislava...so disappointed that it is on the European Sojourn itinerary.  It was a great stop when we did Grand European in 2012.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, deec said:

I would LOVE to have to go to Bratislava...so disappointed that it is on the European Sojourn itinerary.  It was a great stop when we did Grand European in 2012.

Bratislava is the main reason I have to do the western Danube again at some point.

I had a wine cruise when did Vilshofen to Budapest and they skipped it.  Then I booked my next trip to take a train there from Vienna before heading on to Budapest for my eastern Danube cruise....in October 2020....yeah.....

(finally took the cruise in May but didnt get by Bratislava on the way)

• Like 1

On another site, a person on the Gymir said they were given the go ahead to sail to Nurnberg from Passau as the water was a bit higher, but that the ships before and possibly after would be swapping as the level was decreasing.

Just checked Marine Traffic, the Viking Egdir looks like it's heading from Nuremburg to Regensburg, and the Gymir is in Nuremburg. 2 Avalon ships docked at Regensburg (the View and Illumination), but could be parked for tours.

Cross our fingers guys......

44 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Just checked Marine Traffic, the Viking Egdir looks like it's heading from Nuremburg to Regensburg, and the Gymir is in Nuremburg. 2 Avalon ships docked at Regensburg (the View and Illumination), but could be parked for tours.

Cross our fingers guys......

Yes the Edgir is the sister ship to the Gymir, so it makes sense that if one goes the other one does too.  There are two Viking ships at Regensburg and the Viking Var made it close to Regensburg but turned around and is in Vilshofen now.  Watching Cruise Mapper is like watching the Real Housewives Bravo shows, LOL. We leave for Budapest in a few hours.

Edited by rcaruso
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

Yes the Edgir is the sister ship to the Gymir, so it makes sense that if one goes the other one does too.  There are two Viking ships at Regensburg and the Viking Var made it close to Regensburg but turned around and is in Vilshofen now.  Watching Cruise Mapper is like watching the Real Housewives Bravo shows, LOL. We leave for Budapest in a few hours.

Best of luck we will be approaching the said area from the Amsterdam direction in just over two weeks time

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 2:31 PM, CruiseIreland said:

Hi all. I've been checking this thread daily as we sail from Regensburg on 18th August, towards Budapest. I'm a bit befuddlled between the Pfelling gauge and other posts above. What is the likelihood that we will be able to complete the cruise without being bussed? I understand that no one can predict rainfall but I am just looking for pointers. Thanks in advance. Ken 

Just wanted to bump this. Anyone care to speculate? I want to be prepared, if possible. 

18 minutes ago, CruiseIreland said:

Just wanted to bump this. Anyone care to speculate? I want to be prepared, if possible. 

There is really no point in speculating over a month out. 

• Thanks 1

It's raining in Nuremburg! Weather app says warnings for strong to severe t-storms and they are calling for 11.4mm of rain tonight, with a chance of another 5 mm tomorrow. Now if only it would cool down (35C right now), it may help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1