Rough seas circumnavigating Iceland?

N51EC

We are considering a NatGeo cruise which circumnavigates Iceland but I am concerned about rough seas as I get seasick easily. We would fly directly to Iceland, not cruise to get there. Any input would be appreciated!

As others have said, sea conditions are unpredictable and that would include the waters around Iceland.  But the National Geo ship is quite small and would likely move around more than most larger vessels.  Take along sea bands, Bonine, etc.  Like the Boy Scouts say, "be prepared."

Hank

• Like 1

I’m a huge believer in Meclizine. There are other choices as well. But the key is there are ways of keeping seasickness away. Even in rough seas. Even in a small ship. That sounds like a trip of a lifetime. Don’t let seasickness worried keep you away. 

49 minutes ago, wcook said:

I’m a huge believer in Meclizine. There are other choices as well. But the key is there are ways of keeping seasickness away. Even in rough seas. Even in a small ship. That sounds like a trip of a lifetime. Don’t let seasickness worried keep you away. 

Please consider taking a trial dose (or two) of any new med *before* you are away from home, on a trip.  Make sure it "agrees with you", etc.

And if you are on other meds, a quick question to your physician about any potential concerns might be prudent.

And then ENJOY.  We'd love to take a cruise like this... and maybe we will! 🙂 

GC

23 hours ago, N51EC said:

We are considering a NatGeo cruise which circumnavigates Iceland but I am concerned about rough seas as I get seasick easily. We would fly directly to Iceland, not cruise to get there. Any input would be appreciated!

We were on a cruise around Iceland in August/September 2021. The seas were very calm, except near Reykjavik, but were never very bad. As others said, you never know. My wife gets seasick easily, but using the patch behind the ear worked for her. It should be applied a certain number of hours before cruising. 

On 1/25/2023 at 4:18 PM, N51EC said:

I did an 8 day land vacation in Iceland. I don't see much advantage to a cruise around but of course we only did land tours. Iceland was near the top of the places I have been and we will return but on land for sure. If you get seasick no need at all to do a cruise. Do a land vacation. 

Edited by Charles4515