Soft Ice Cream

rome2009

I must admit I never liked the Whippy type ice cream served in the UK. On Sky Princess we both quite liked the soft stuff served on sun deck.  On the other hand we were less than happy with the gelato served in the atrium. Perhaps it’s down to expectation; didn’t expect much from the soft stuff & it was fine, higher bar for the gelato and it was just ok. We had the plus package but we rarely used up our ‘allocation’ at the gelato outlet - and when we did we ordered the premium desserts and after the first time we requested no cake, no sauce, no sprinkles and no cream. 

Posted (edited)

There was a similar thread on RCCL a few years back. Someone posted a photo of their soft serve mix, showing the ingredients.

QUOTE: Main ingredients: water, corn syrup, oil. Explains why I never liked it and haven't bothered trying again for years.

20171021_102544b.png.95721e767ba59b0d95536add9ff4c69b.png (675×900)

Edited by Teechur

12 hours ago, Gnat said:

I thought it was okay.   I'm wondering if anyone knows the ingredients of the soft serve and where it is manufactured.  My grandchildren have allergies to tree nuts and peanuts plus coconut.  Wondering if it could contain coconut or was processed in a factory that also processes nuts.  I don't believe that it is made on the ship.  

I'm not sure about the ice cream but their oatmeal cookies last cruise were loaded with nuts. 

Isn't a coconut a fruit, not a nut?

We have always enjoyed the soft serve on our Princess cruises. I have been known to go out and get a scoop to go on top of my bread pudding or brownie dessert from the buffet. 

It’s been shared on the Sun Princess thread that while they still have “free” soft serve available near the buffet, the soft serve at the ice cream venue by the pool is $5 - because it’s “premium”. Not sure what constitutes premium soft serve, but I don’t think I would pay $5 for it. If I want to pay for premium ice cream, I’ll have the gelato!

3 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

We have always enjoyed the soft serve on our Princess cruises. I have been known to go out and get a scoop to go on top of my bread pudding or brownie dessert from the buffet. 

It’s been shared on the Sun Princess thread that while they still have “free” soft serve available near the buffet, the soft serve at the ice cream venue by the pool is $5 - because it’s “premium”. Not sure what constitutes premium soft serve, but I don’t think I would pay $5 for it. If I want to pay for premium ice cream, I’ll have the gelato!

Not that I know for sure but I think someone else posted it was $5 for the premium ice cream, perhaps Smize? 

I believe the free frozen custard was still available.

On 2/5/2023 at 2:45 PM, rome2009 said:

It seems to me that it would be such an easy fix, and yet for Princess it doesn't seem to bother them 

Same reason they use nasty syrup to make coffee. 

On 3/9/2024 at 9:42 AM, karatemom2 said:

Location, location, location!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Location, location, location!

Side hustle - take orders at the pool and charge 3 dollars and get them free near the buffet! Call it a 3$ delivery charge.

Edited by Globaler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2