Disembarkation one port before final destination

Hey! Jude

31 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Not impressed. We have three cases of passenger were allowed off early. In this thread we not had an example of anyone who was denied disembarkation for any of the reasons cited by other posters.

Compliance lawyers in large companies set policies and for cruise lines they would be applying policies to prevent violations of locals laws that would attract large fines and perhaps prevent future sailings. I strongly suspect those cruise companies have sailed the waters far more often than any single sea captain. 

Well, if information provided by those who are actually educated, experienced, and knowledgeable in a field fails to impress you, well, c'est la vie. I do hope that other readers make a better choice.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Can you imagine the lawsuit if a passenger had a major medical issue and died onboard because the ship refused to let them off to be hospitalized. Even if they have to pay the fine, that's a drop in the bucket. 

Of course a sick passenger would be allowed off for hospitalization, and the cruise line would swallow, or argue, the fine.  I know of one case where the passenger died onboard, and his remains and spouse were disembarked early, and the couple were levied the fine.  The cruise line did provide the necessary paperwork for the surviving spouse to contest the fine with CBP.

31 minutes ago, Shorex said:

Well, if information provided by those who are actually educated, experienced, and knowledgeable in a field fails to impress you, well, c'est la vie. I do hope that other readers make a better choice.

I'm going to respectfully disagree....

In the context of this thread ,  the actual experince of the OP and the other posters who actually EXPERIENCED disembarking a port early means much more than what is being said by so-called experts who are wrong as often as they are right.

I'm mot impressed by the Canadian credentials of a ferry boat driver enough to outweigh what the posters here have done.

Edited by JRG
spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JRG said:

In the context of this thread ,  the actual experince of the OP and the other posters who actually EXPERIENCED disembarking a port early means much more than what is being said by so-called experts who are wrong as often as they are right.

And, what were the exact circumstances of the posters that allowed disembarkation, and how do those compare with the OP's situation?  Enquiring minds want to know if you know the facts.

6 minutes ago, JRG said:

I'm mot impressed by the Canadian credentials of a ferry boat driver enough to outweight what the posters here have done.

And, I'm sure that Heidi13, who was an unlimited Master (just the same as any cruise ship captain), who skippered passenger vessels and cargo vessels (and later ferries) all around the world for decades, is not impressed with whatever credentials you bring to the discussion.  But, you don't seem to hold the entire maritime industry in high regard anyway, just your opinions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Oriana_(1959)

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 8

This is a cruising forum,  and I believe there are hundreds of passengers who have successfully done the same thing (disembarking a port early),  after having properly reviewed the exit and entry requirements with the proper authorities.

I believe we are entitled to hear the opinions of those other passengers who have done the same things so that we don't inadvertently spread false information that certain activities can't be done,  just because so and so says so.

Please listen to the experience of the people who have been there and done that.

p.s. Maybe CC can dedicate a section to the many marine professionals on the board who also deserve the same credential recognition,  lets just make sure we do it the right way.

Edited by JRG
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, JRG said:

This is a cruising forum,  and I believe there are hundreds of passengers who have successfully done the same thing (disembarking a port early),  after having properly reviewed the exit and entry requirements with the proper authorities.

I believe we are entitled to hear the opinions of those other passengers who have done the same things so that we don't inadvertently spread false information that certain activities can't be done,  just because so and so says so.

Please listen to the experience of the people who have been there and done that.

p.s. Maybe CC can dedicate a section to the many marine professionals on the board who also deserve the same credential recognition,  lets just make sure we do it the right way.

Except anecdotal advice is often the worst kind of advice. "I could do you it, so you should be able to also" completed ignores all relevant facts. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Shorex said:

What better choice should they make? Not ask if they can leave a cruise early because an anonymous poster who claims to have been a sea captain and professes to have intimate knowledge of Canadian maritime regulation says it might be against the law? 

I preferred to find out for myself and the cruise line accommodated my desires without strife or drama as has been reported by others in this thread. 

Two issues are being conflated here (shocking, right?). Generally, disembarking early is not a problem. On the other hand, disembarking early when the port is in the same country as the embarkation port, can and most likely will come with repercussions. Anyone who paints them with the same brush and says the second is simple because so many have done the first, is providing false and totally foolish advice. Opinion does not exempt one from the law. Period. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Two issues are being conflated here (shocking, right?). Generally, disembarking early is not a problem. On the other hand, disembarking early when the port is in the same country as the embarkation port, can and most likely will come with repercussions. Anyone who paints them with the same brush and says the second is simple because so many have done the first, is providing false and totally foolish advice. Opinion does not exempt one from the law. Period. 

Foolish is not asking based on posts from self-professed experts claiming in-depth knowledge of maritime law. If you want off early ask the cruise line. They are happy to facilitate the request and so far in this thread and as I recall others on the same subject no one who has asked has been denied. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, K32682 said:

Foolish is not asking based on posts from self-professed experts claiming in-depth knowledge of maritime law. If you want off early ask the cruise line. They are happy to facilitate the request and so far in this thread and as I recall others on the same subject no one who has asked has been denied. 

Anyone, professional or not, can look up and read the law. Anyone who takes the time to do that will see that the people you are contesting are right, so perhaps it is time you back off from this topic.