Celebrity vs. Holland America

thecruiserman

My recent experience is Celebrity Beyond (Edge class) November 2022 and HAL Rotterdam January 2023.

Edge class ships are strange - the “Infinite Veranda” is not a veranda/balcony but just a picture window that you can open sometimes, but is closed by the captain whenever the weather is bad. The is no fixed dinner seating, just wait for a table, unless you want to go to the specialty restaurants at $60 per person (plus service charge).  No wraparound walking deck, not much outdoor space unless you want to pay for it. The whole atmosphere is geared to the suite class passengers, not the regular passengers. I am Elite on Celebrity but I am not planning to return to Celebrity.

Rotterdam is the newest HAL ship. It is very clean, cabins are good size, traditional balconies are available, food is excellent in the MDR with fixed dinner seating and walk up options, service is excellent, specialty restaurants are more reasonably priced, and there is lots of outdoor space including the traditional wraparound walking deck. The entertainment is more focused on different areas: BB Kings for jazz, Rolling Stone Rock Room, Lincoln Center Stage for classical music, and the Billboard Piano Bar. Mainstage entertainment is varied (but no production shows every night - if you want that go on MSC Cruises).

I am three star on HAL and I will be sailing on HAL exclusively in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We were on the Apex November ‘21,  then February ‘22.  On the Niew Statendam in March ‘22.  We feel just the opposite! We enjoyed the Apex much more than the HAL ship. We are Elite on Celebrity,   Two star on HAL. We plan to sail exclusively on Celebrity!

We sail in suites and Hal has very little to offer there other than the actual suite. I really liked the entertainment on Beyond two months ago . We are 3 star on a Hal but doubt we will sail them again, elite on Celebrity and diamond plus on rccl which offers the best entertainment, if you are elite on celebrity you will be diamond on rccl , nice perks there 4 free drinks anywhere, discount on balcony and other perks.

• Like 1

We’re 4 star on HAL, but it just got too boring for us once they fully implemented their Music Walk entertainment strategy back around 2017. But if that works for you, then you should definitely head over there. For us we’ll just stick with Celebrity, Princess and occasionally with NCL and book one of their cruises when we see an awesome itinerary that suits us. We simply have more fun and laugh a lot more on one of their cruises than on a HAL cruise.

I am a fanboy for both X and HAL, based on limited cruises (1) with each, before the cutback. There are currently two threads on this forum, extolling the music entertainment on HAL. I too, spent my evenings in BB King's and Lincoln Center Stage. But apparently,  I am the only one who received the memo:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-line-removes-music-venues/

17 minutes ago, rbelshaw said:

I am a fanboy for both X and HAL, based on limited cruises (1) with each, before the cutback. There are currently two threads on this forum, extolling the music entertainment on HAL. I too, spent my evenings in BB King's and Lincoln Center Stage. But apparently,  I am the only one who received the memo:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/cruise-line-removes-music-venues/

There was a pretty long thread in the HAL forum about it when the news was announced earlier in the month.  Since it's still TBD how exactly it rolls out, not a lot to react to other than I personally think it's a mistake to move the Lincoln Center groups out of a dedicated venue into the large theater and to limit their shows to a few times per cruise.  It was definitely a differentiator, and the performances always seemed to be well attended.  If anything, they should change up the repertoire more for all the groups so that there isn't a lot of repetition.  I know the music walk concept isn't popular with some but to me it's an ideal form of entertainment versus the hokey stage shows most cruise lines come up with.

• Like 1

I’m chiming in from the Koningsdam where it’s pack up day.  We were really looking forward to the music walk concept but it’s been hit and miss for us.  We love the band in the Rolling Stones venue but don’t really want to see them three times a night, every night.  The Bb Kings are talented but it’s mostly Motown which is fine but not Blues.  And I don’t like the lead singer who is always checking his watch ….  The pianos at Billboard are ok, and the Lincoln Stage doesn’t really seem to jive with our schedule for some reason and is hard to find on a regular basis.  We miss the vibe of Celebrity and the option for a few different shows throughout the ship in various venues. .  For reference we are four star on HAL and Elite Plus on Celebrity.  Options are nice to have.  

• Like 2

I don’t know, this Cruise Hive article suggests that HAL is doubling down on their Music Walk entertainment strategy rather than changing it, let’s say to an In-Depth EXC program they tried back in 2018 on the Maasdam where they offer more lectures and quality shows in the main theater. That change would definitely get our interest, especially on their longer more unique itineraries.

But then we’re fully retired and stopped hanging out in bars and lounges a long time ago. What can I say! 😂

https://www.cruisehive.com/holland-america-line-makes-major-entertainment-changes/92269

Edited by Ken the cruiser

3 hours ago, thecruiserman said:

My recent experience is Celebrity Beyond (Edge class) November 2022 and HAL Rotterdam January 2023.

Edge class ships are strange - the “Infinite Veranda” is not a veranda/balcony but just a picture window that you can open sometimes, but is closed by the captain whenever the weather is bad. The is no fixed dinner seating, just wait for a table, unless you want to go to the specialty restaurants at $60 per person (plus service charge).  No wraparound walking deck, not much outdoor space unless you want to pay for it. The whole atmosphere is geared to the suite class passengers, not the regular passengers. I am Elite on Celebrity but I am not planning to return to Celebrity.

Rotterdam is the newest HAL ship. It is very clean, cabins are good size, traditional balconies are available, food is excellent in the MDR with fixed dinner seating and walk up options, service is excellent, specialty restaurants are more reasonably priced, and there is lots of outdoor space including the traditional wraparound walking deck. The entertainment is more focused on different areas: BB Kings for jazz, Rolling Stone Rock Room, Lincoln Center Stage for classical music, and the Billboard Piano Bar. Mainstage entertainment is varied (but no production shows every night - if you want that go on MSC Cruises).

Wishing you luck as we wave you goodbye 👋.  Seems you’re not alone leaving Celebrity, sad but I do wonder if you and the others may one day sneak back! 

15 hours ago, thecruiserman said:

We sail both.... I feel HAL has better itineraries, but Celebrity has more excitement on the ship. HAL is more affordable than Celebrity. 

Celebrity seems to be more financially secure than HAL and HAL is struggling more since the restart. I keep wondering if Carnival will merge princess and HAL. I have to keep my options open because of that.

For example, cruising in April with HAL and they still don't have shore excursions available. Already have my July shore excursions booked with Celebrity. 

Hoping for a fabulous cruise with both this year. Glad you enjoyed your HAL cruise! 

15 hours ago, thecruiserman said:

Also agree with you on the suite class with Celebrity. People really get into it and love to flaunt that they are suite class, which is great. I'm not sure if they realize that most that aren't in a suite don't really care if you are ☺️.

We just usually do veranda, which allows us to travel more and we love it. I haven't felt the difference between veranda and suite class amenities on any of my cruises, but it is something that turns me off of the whole concept by Celebrity. I feel you on that.