Best check in time?

asmit4

I know I'm beating this topic to a pulp- but I'm asking anyway. We are going out of Port Canaveral on Escape. The ship is sold out. We don't want to pay for priority and are not Haven. We want to be on the ship 'early' but don't want a 2 hour wait in the terminal either. What time would you pick? I'm thinking 10:00? ---that should ensure not much time standing around in the terminal before the typical ship embarkation which is like 11:30 if things go ok right? 

We always pick 10.30 but are Platinum so are one of the first to get onto the ship. Check in times start at 9:00 so if you pick 10:00 you will have a bunch of groups before you. Just depends on whether you want to wait in the terminal before or wait in line after.

I would go for noon myself, if you are staying at a hotel it gives you time to get up pack have breakfast and then get to the ship.  I figure  there is plenty of time vs things to do on your first day to tell the truth.  I have checked in at 2PM before and there was no line at all just walked up at every point and was the only person there.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, asmit4 said:

I know I'm beating this topic to a pulp- but I'm asking anyway. We are going out of Port Canaveral on Escape. The ship is sold out. We don't want to pay for priority and are not Haven. We want to be on the ship 'early' but don't want a 2 hour wait in the terminal either. What time would you pick? I'm thinking 10:00? ---that should ensure not much time standing around in the terminal before the typical ship embarkation which is like 11:30 if things go ok right? 

If you arrive at 10 and embark at 11:30, that's almost your two hour wait.  

I would suggest you rethink and decide which is more important, getting on board early or avoiding standing around.

32 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

We always pick 10.30 but are Platinum so are one of the first to get onto the ship. Check in times start at 9:00 so if you pick 10:00 you will have a bunch of groups before you. Just depends on whether you want to wait in the terminal before or wait in line after.

Yes, you and 75% of the ship are Platinum. Two cruises ago, I couldn't find an affordable hotel room in Manhattan, so I arrived in Manhattan on Peter Pan at 11:30. Got to the pier about 12:15, and there were zero lines at check in and we walked right on the ship. Last cruise we opted to just take the bus in again the day of the cruise. Once again there were zero lines, and we walked right on Prima. There is still plenty of time to go to the dining room for lunch.

Edited by vince_g

3 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you arrive at 10 and embark at 11:30, that's almost your two hour wait.  

I would suggest you rethink and decide which is more important, getting on board early or avoiding standing around.

When I would stay in Manhattan the day before a cruise, I would always arrive early at the terminal. And boy did I hate sitting around waiting for boarding. Breezing right thru check in and walking right on the ship just makes embarkation day feel stress free.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, asmit4 said:

9:30. Show up early, avoid the crowds in security and check-in. Sit and chill. 9:30 does not mean "2 hour wait in the terminal". Part of the time is checking your bags with a porter, waiting in line for security, waiting in line for check-in, and then checking-in. Those "waits" only get longer the later you show up. 

Remember, online check-in and selection of the time to arrive at the terminal opens at 12 midnight eastern time 21 days prior to departure (based on count down clock on your MyNCL account). Early times will sell out by the next day. 

Not sure how you're getting to PC, but it is a long drive from Orlando Airport (MCO). We normally show up a day or two early and drive in a rental car to the port. We allow time for the drive, picking up gas, returning the car, then waiting for the car rental shuttle to get us over to the cruise terminal. 

Edited by BirdTravels