The Gem and the Jewel just passed each other in the Panama Canal

Turtles06

We’re on the Gem right now, heading southbound in the Panama Canal. What a wonderful surprise to have the Jewel just pass us in Gatun Lake, heading northbound.  Particularly special for my wife and me as our first transit of the Canal was on the Jewel.  (I hope someone on the Jewel also posts some photos.) 

683345E7-C0AF-4A97-A851-8D31155CC68B.thumb.jpeg.befbda1632f4213117d7033cff76c154.jpeg

F3589B04-FD4B-402D-9966-54C2EB222A47.thumb.jpeg.91e2bd6fead85d8862e31b9d55f74dab.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

FUN!  

Did you have a toast? 🥂 

Did they announce the "meeting" a bit in advance?

GC

Very little warning. Once we reached Gatun Lake, the Canal narrator said we’d be passing the Jewel today. It wasn’t long after that.

51 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Thank You for the wondeerful pictures. Did the Captain's acknowledge each other with a battle of the horns?

I was surprised there were no horns, and wonder if that’s prohibited in the Canal. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, www3traveler said:

This morning I discoverred that while the Jewel and the Gem weere passing each other, the Bliss was also crossing the Panama Canal.  Wonder what the fee was in total for all three ships??

During a tour that I joined in Panama city they told us it‘s about $135 per bed for cruise ships...

4 minutes ago, me_phisto said:

During a tour that I joined in Panama city they told us it‘s about $135 per bed for cruise ships...

Good thing we are having our 2 twin beds pushed together to make 1 queen bed on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise next week! That will save NCL $135… 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2