Alaska Cruise 2024.

portcbob

We sailed her in the Caribbean in 2019 and loved her.  With that said, I would highly recommend the Koningsdam for Alaska for sure….as a matter of fact I am planning to sail her to Alaska as well in 2024.  

3 hours ago, portcbob said:

Hi Holland Cruisers.

Is the Koningsdam a nice ship to cruise the inside passage to Alaska from Vancouver. Newbies researching for our big trip in May/June, 2024. Thank you.

Yes.  The Koningsdam is a nice ship and should get good berths in port since it is a Holland America ship.  I have done Alaska on several Holland ships and you will have a prime location for docking, plenty of viewing areas, and interesting educational speakers.  The food and service is good and the ship is sturdy.  For a first time cruiser if Glacier Bay is included you will enjoy glacier viewing with park rangers onboard and an open bow for better viewing.  From Vancouver you will have smooth and scenic sailing up the inside passage.

Yes a first time cruiser has to have inside passage and Glacier Bay included in your cruise, which I believe the Koningsdam does have on their itinerary...........Glacier Bay is my favorite, so beautiful.

Weather in Alaska is iffy any time you go.........with that said, coming all the way from Australia, if you can, I would push it another month and say mid--late June would be better, May can be a little cool.....I think anyways.

Edited by doone
  • Like 1

I'm on Koningsdam second week of May 2023 for an Inside Passage cruise. Mrs. Klutch absolutely HATES rain. I told her Alaska is rainy and she asked which month typically has the least rain. Turns out that month is May and that's why we're going in May. Cold = OK. Rain = Not OK. 

But I expect we get rain anyway. 🙂

Edited by Colorado Klutch

1 hour ago, Colorado Klutch said:

I'm on Koningsdam second week of May 2023 for an Inside Passage cruise. Mrs. Klutch absolutely HATES rain. I told her Alaska is rainy and she asked which month typically has the least rain. Turns out that month is May and that's why we're going in May. Cold = OK. Rain = Not OK. 

But I expect we get rain anyway. 🙂

If you are doing a land trip you may want to wait a bit since depending on the snow pack some things won't be open.  Despite what the monthly weather is telling you about rain, it can rain any time there. We have gone multiple times and each time had spectacular weather. This was just due to luck and nothing else.   Alaska is fabulous any time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tupper10 said:

If you are doing a land trip you may want to wait a bit since depending on the snow pack some things won't be open.  Despite what the monthly weather is telling you about rain, it can rain any time there. We have gone multiple times and each time had spectacular weather. This was just due to luck and nothing else.   Alaska is fabulous any time. 

Thanks. We are not doing a land trip. Later in the season was also much more expensive. 

30 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

Thanks. We are not doing a land trip. Later in the season was also much more expensive. 

Is there any other place you are going given how long it takes you to get to Alaska and Canada/US.  I

55 minutes ago, portcbob said:

Guys, in our package we are also doing 15 nights through the Canadian Rockies including Gold Leaf on the Rocky Mountaineer Train.

Cheers Bob.

Sounds fabulous - at Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff there will probably still be snow on the ground.  It should be beautiful and not many tourists at that time.  

17 hours ago, tupper10 said:

Is there any other place you are going given how long it takes you to get to Alaska and Canada/US.  I

We are not going anywhere outside of the cruise. From Denver, Vancouver is a short flight. It's an expensive flight, but not long and it's direct. 

59 minutes ago, Colorado Klutch said:

We are not going anywhere outside of the cruise. From Denver, Vancouver is a short flight. It's an expensive flight, but not long and it's direct. 

Wish you had the time to do a bit of a land tour - Alaska is so incredible.  You will have a wonderful time. Enjoy.  

1 minute ago, tupper10 said:

Wish you had the time to do a bit of a land tour - Alaska is so incredible.  You will have a wonderful time. Enjoy.  

Thank you. Mrs. Klutch and I hope to return to Alaska for a land/sea vacation. I love ships and she loves trains. We both love nature and wildlife. 

We been to Alaska 5 times & imo going to Alaska  via cruise ship is OK but to really see Alaska, the great land, you really need to drive at least from Anchorage to Denali National Park & do the tours   .Best place we found to stay just 10 minutes from the  entrance of the park is Denali Lake View In n . check it out ,it is a  AAA  triple diamond B&B  with reasonable prices & a ATV store very close . The rooms over look Lake Otto with lots of ducks ,geese & swans  ,Take a ATV out into the tundra  with a leader from the ATV store , See the dog sled demo at Denali  National Park   .If time & budget allow go to Fairbanks ,in May walk on the frozen sea ,see  the University of Alaska  fabulous museum  😃

Taking just a cruise to Alaska  is like easting half the meal 🙃

• Like 2