The Key for the solo traveler

Curious to hear from solo travelers if they get the key. It isn't something I would normally purchase when traveling with a group. When you consider the included device as a solo it isn't that big of a difference just to get the key. Are the benefits worth it? Is it easy to use? I thought when it first came out you could skip lines to certain things. Is this still the case?

I bought it for my Christmas cruise on Enchantment, mostly because I was anxious about those first few hours with my carry on by myself. Kind of silly, I know, but it was my first solo cruise and first cruise since the restart. 

I really liked being able to drop off my carry on - that was a huge plus. There were no lines at embarkation so it didn't save me much if any time there. The Chops lunch was probably one of my least favorite meals of the whole trip, but it was really nice to have a quiet sit down lunch and not fight with Windjammer. I didn't use the special seating or port of call debarkation, because I had no need to. On the last day, it was very nice to get walked to the front of the line for debarkation.

All in all, my plan for my next cruise is to buy the internet and lunch at Chops the first day, unless the Key drops in price to be about the same, and even then, maybe not ...

• Like 2

Bought Key 3 times now.  I'll do it again.  I wait until the price is down to a couple dollars per day over the internet price. 

What I get: Internet - I would have bought it anyway.  No lines no waiting when boarding.  Take 3 suitcases on board myself, and immediately leave them at the dining room while I have filet mignon for lunch.  Uncrowded seating at the front of the balcony for WWRY. 3 uncrowded hours on FlowRider (one session all to myself).  Leisurly breakfast on departure.  No waiting in line to depart.  My bags were waiting for me right next to customs.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

It's priority only at *tender* ports, of which there are generally not many.

On Enchantment in December, they offered priority debarkation at all ports, none of which had tendering.

Here is my welcome letter:

Screenshot_20230206-171445.thumb.png.659dbfcabc401f19d74f6d40ca063add.png

• Thanks 1

Yes, for a solo traveler it's usually a good deal if you were already planning on getting wifi anyway. Like gmerick, I watch for sales, and when it's about the same, or not much more than wifi, I grab it.  The lunch, the dropping off your carry on are well worth it to me on boarding day.  

12 hours ago, Rubyfisch said:

On Enchantment in December, they offered priority debarkation at all ports, none of which had tendering.

Here is my welcome letter:

Screenshot_20230206-171445.thumb.png.659dbfcabc401f19d74f6d40ca063add.png

This is not needed in most ports. Ship docks early and no lines, you can leave easy whenever you want, especially early as most people go for breakfast and leave later.

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

This is not needed in most ports. Ship docks early and no lines, you can leave easy whenever you want, especially early as most people go for breakfast and leave later.

I wasn't saying it was needed, I was saying it was offered. It was 35 degrees in Port Canaveral when we arrived - I walked straight off the ship because I wanted to go for a walk. There was no one in line. I didn't get off in Nassau until several hours after we docked, and again, no lines.

Here's a way to decide.  Take the difference between a 1 device Voom package vs. the Key.  With that upcharge in mind, are the benefits worth the hassle?

1.  Special Lunch.  Is this worth it?  As well as the luggage dropoff?  This can be easily mitigated by getting your own lunch prior to boarding, and then boarding closer to the time your stateroom is ready.  As a solo, you could probably manage lunch wherever you want without a logistical hassle.  I had the Key Lunch once.  They combined the b2b lunch and the Key together and we all got the same menu.  I wasn't that impressed, but to be able to eat lunch in the MDR without dealing with the WJ on embarkation day is a nice perk.

2.  Private hours with ship activities.  I heard this doesn't work well, because the times are usually not very convenient.

3.  Early access at reserved shows.  As a solo, this would be of limited usage as you   Plus as a solo, it would be easy for you to get a seat wherever there's a gap.

4.  premium debarkation breakfast.  I heard this was decent from a friend of mine.

5.  Priority debarkation at ports.  I found this to be of limited usage as if you have a Royal Excursion, you automatically get priority and if you don't care when you get off the ship, its moot as at some point, debarkation will become free flow.  This only works if you have an independent excursion AND you have to be off the ship quickly.

If the upcharge is low enough, get it, but if its a significant bump, skip it.   As a solo, you only have to worry about a single upcharge as everyone in the cabin has to have it.

As a solo I have bought it on my last two cruises. I buy Wi-Fi anyway so if the additional charge is small it’s worth it.

It was definitely worth it on my last cruise out of Miami on the Explorer, lines were really long for embarkation and I just walked through the door that said Suites and Key - no line at all, on the ship within 10 mins.

Love the sedate lunch in the MDR and food was great as is the chilled out last day breakfast.
I don’t do the shows or any of the activities it it’s still worth it to me.

• Thanks 1