Will They Give me the Room Key?

hkbragg

14 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hi, @ontheweb,  while it is part of our job to try to get all passengers legally on board, we also have a responsibility to the cruise lines to respect their rules and standards (which vary between brands). 

When the boarding pass is scanned, it shows who is in the stateroom.  The pier agent will ask where is the adult (dad) who the 17 yr old is listed as sharing the stateroom with.  It's at this point that concerns about the minor alone in the stateroom would kick in..  I have no doubt that both the mom and the 17 yr old will be embarked, it just might not be as straightforward. 

Carnival plainly states that adults are to be checked-in first, and the handheld check-in devices will not sync up if a minor is embarked before an accompanying adult.  It's possible that a line supervisor will be called over at that time, or that the mom and 17 yr old will be sent to counter agent and a higher level supervisor will get involved. It's also possible that it could get turned over to the 1-2 ship personnel behind the counter that handle document issues, and other last minute problems.

I think the very least outcome at embark will be that that stateroom of the 17 yr old (who will have the room to him/herself) will be flagged.  My guess is that the stateroom's mini bar will be emptied, and that ship security will be notified so it is on their radar for noise or party complaints.

I have no reason to doubt that the OP's 17 yr old is a well mannered responsible minor, but the ship has a responsibility to keep that 17 yr old safe, and for folks in neighboring staterooms - a quiet hallway.

A goal in posting on this thread was to let the OP know that having the two staterooms (one with just a 17 yr old minor), might not be as straightforward as her travel agent lead her to believe.  The ship will have the final say on what the outcome will be.

Actually, @Ferry_Watcher, have you ever encountered this situation when checking passengers in. You also specifically mentioned Carnival (and of course this is a Carnival thread), but how might some other lines' policies differ?

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, @Ferry_Watcher, have you ever encountered this situation when checking passengers in. You also specifically mentioned Carnival (and of course this is a Carnival thread), but how might some other lines' policies differ?

Personally, I have not encountered this situation that the OP outlined.  If I did, I would call a supervisor and move on to helping the next passenger.

IMO, the Carnival rules and expectations tends to be more of a 'nanny state' partly because it has to. Carnival, unfortunately attracts a larger share of challenging cruisers, whose on board antics, physical interactions, and  trying to avoid financial responsibility has caused Carnival to resort to this nanny state.  Even on Carnival ship days at the port, we are more likely to see a police presence in and around the terminal area just as 'calming' effect.

Carnival IMO, has the most complicated embark system, with many guidelines, where the other brands are more straight forward.  The manual we get at training is 201 pages long!  For example, every Carnival passenger must have either a credit card on file, or put cash down on their account (even children's accounts must have a financial guarantor on record).  If a passenger cruising on another line said that they wanted to deal with credit card once on board, it's not a problem.

If a Carnival passenger checks that they are traveling with a CPAP machine, there is a alert placed on their embark, and they need to confirm that yes, they do have their CPAP machine with them.  If they dropped it off with the porters, they are asked if medically if they could survive without it if it was lost.  If they answered that they medically need it, then they are asked to step aside and longshore is asked to find it so the passenger can carry it on themselves.  (It's possible that this just happens on the Alaska bound ships since onshore medical help is not close by).

Last season on Carnival, there were so many Alaska bound passengers showing up without the required Canadian Covid/Health App ArriveCan, that Carnival instituted a policy that every passenger had to show proof of having completed the app (a QR code) before they were allowed to enter the building.  None of the other brands had to take such drastic measures.  Also, on Carnival days, there is a large 'dump barrel' at security to dispose of all the confiscated alcohol, and even flower bouquets are not allowed onboard.  Again, no other cruise line has similar policies/actions.

Carnival is just a very different experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

IMO, the Carnival rules and expectations tends to be more of a 'nanny state' partly because it has to.

Last season on Carnival, there were so many Alaska bound passengers showing up without the required Canadian Covid/Health App ArriveCan, that Carnival instituted a policy that every passenger had to show proof of having completed the app (a QR code) before they were allowed to enter the building.  None of the other brands had to take such drastic measures.  Also, on Carnival days, there is a large 'dump barrel' at security to dispose of all the confiscated alcohol, and even flower bouquets are not allowed onboard.  Again, no other cruise line has similar policies/actions.

Watching cruisers trying to download ArriveCan in the drizzle out in the parking lot had to be almost as entertaining as watching the pier runners in Cozumel! 

I'll admit it @Ferry_Watcher, the 'typical' Carnival cruiser ain't no experienced 'world traveler'! And thanks again for all your 'border crossing' and Vancouver help last year.  Alaska is magnificent people.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Watching cruisers trying to download ArriveCan in the drizzle out in the parking lot had to be almost as entertaining as watching the pier runners in Cozumel! 

Thanks!  Actually it wasn't all that bad.  To help these folks, there were unique printed instructions supplied each cruise day with specific and current dates for the cruise, and arrival date and location in Victoria (needed to complete the registration).  Bar height tables were provided for folks to gather around while entering info on their phones, and best of all, there were 3-5 young staffers who would  answer questions, but could (and would) just offer to enter all the needed info for those Carnival passengers who were all struggling with completing the ArriveCan registration.  At the beginning of the season, there were a few passengers who didn't even have an email account, and our staff actually had to create one for them.  All of this happened under the terminal awning, so those folks were out of the elements.

Another (unplanned) handholding service was a number of passengers booked on the end-of-season transpacific cruise to Australia hadn't applied for the required visa.  Luckily, it was one of those easy apply visas, and a visiting corporate Carnival employee set up her laptop and assisted passengers who needed that visa to get on the ship. 

We also had passengers who needed one booster shot (in addition to the Covid Vaccination) to board the TP cruise.  Those passengers were given the name/address of a local drug store, and brought outside and a taxi was called for them so they could get the booster, and be incompliance to get on the TP cruise.  Without the required booster, they would have been denied.

The management team that runs Pier 91 in Seattle really does everything possible to get folks on these cruises.  It's really amazing to watch.  It's great to be part of the team.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Personally, I have not encountered this situation that the OP outlined.  If I did, I would call a supervisor and move on to helping the next passenger.

IMO, the Carnival rules and expectations tends to be more of a 'nanny state' partly because it has to. Carnival, unfortunately attracts a larger share of challenging cruisers, whose on board antics, physical interactions, and  trying to avoid financial responsibility has caused Carnival to resort to this nanny state.  Even on Carnival ship days at the port, we are more likely to see a police presence in and around the terminal area just as 'calming' effect.

Carnival IMO, has the most complicated embark system, with many guidelines, where the other brands are more straight forward.  The manual we get at training is 201 pages long!  For example, every Carnival passenger must have either a credit card on file, or put cash down on their account (even children's accounts must have a financial guarantor on record).  If a passenger cruising on another line said that they wanted to deal with credit card once on board, it's not a problem.

If a Carnival passenger checks that they are traveling with a CPAP machine, there is a alert placed on their embark, and they need to confirm that yes, they do have their CPAP machine with them.  If they dropped it off with the porters, they are asked if medically if they could survive without it if it was lost.  If they answered that they medically need it, then they are asked to step aside and longshore is asked to find it so the passenger can carry it on themselves.  (It's possible that this just happens on the Alaska bound ships since onshore medical help is not close by).

I guess it is safe to say that what the OP proposes to do is a very rare occurrence.

And thanks for the rest of the post, very intriguing.

11 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Thanks!  Actually it wasn't all that bad.  To help these folks, there were unique printed instructions supplied each cruise day with specific and current dates for the cruise, and arrival date and location in Victoria (needed to complete the registration).  Bar height tables were provided for folks to gather around while entering info on their phones, and best of all, there were 3-5 young staffers who would  answer questions, but could (and would) just offer to enter all the needed info for those Carnival passengers who were all struggling with completing the ArriveCan registration.  At the beginning of the season, there were a few passengers who didn't even have an email account, and our staff actually had to create one for them.  All of this happened under the terminal awning, so those folks were out of the elements.

Another (unplanned) handholding service was a number of passengers booked on the end-of-season transpacific cruise to Australia hadn't applied for the required visa.  Luckily, it was one of those easy apply visas, and a visiting corporate Carnival employee set up her laptop and assisted passengers who needed that visa to get on the ship. 

We also had passengers who needed one booster shot (in addition to the Covid Vaccination) to board the TP cruise.  Those passengers were given the name/address of a local drug store, and brought outside and a taxi was called for them so they could get the booster, and be incompliance to get on the TP cruise.  Without the required booster, they would have been denied.

The management team that runs Pier 91 in Seattle really does everything possible to get folks on these cruises.  It's really amazing to watch.  It's great to be part of the team.

Yes, I always get the impression that you truly enjoy your job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate all the feedback. The rooms are within the proper range for a 17 year old - within 6 doors of the parent's room -  so I would hope they will let us have both. Our PVP didn't think it would be an issue. But if so, we'll cross that bridge on Saturday. Can't be mad about it either way - it is what it is! I'll let y'all know what happens. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, hkbragg said:

I appreciate all the feedback. The rooms are within the proper range for a 17 year old - within 6 doors of the parent's room -  so I would hope they will let us have both. Our PVP didn't think it would be an issue. But if so, we'll cross that bridge on Saturday. Can't be mad about it either way - it is what it is! I'll let y'all know what happens. 

Good, I guess we are all going to find out how this plays out.

12 hours ago, hkbragg said:

I've found this very interesting.  I hope things work out for you and you get to keep both cabins. Let is know how it all plays out!

On 2/13/2023 at 12:54 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@Ferry_Watcher, how does that 201 page Carnival manual compare to other lines? Is it twice as long? Four times as long, etc.?

In Seattle, you must have ships from Princess (I know we sailed to Alaska on Princess from Seattle), HAL, Royal Caribbean, NCL, (and possibly others), as well as Carnival. Are the manuals that much different other than Carnival being longer?

20 hours ago, hkbragg said:

In January 2022, I was supposed to be in one balcony with a grand, and my daughter was supposed to be in the balcony next door with my then 21 year old grand.  The grand in my room got COVID, so she and her mom were no shows.  The 21 y/o and I checked in together for our separate rooms, and were asked if the others were coming and we said no.  Was not a problem and the 21 y/o and I truly enjoyed having our own side by side balconies!  This was on Royal, but thought I would give you some encouragement.  Have a great cruise! 

13 hours ago, lazydayz said:

In January 2022, I was supposed to be in one balcony with a grand, and my daughter was supposed to be in the balcony next door with my then 21 year old grand.  The grand in my room got COVID, so she and her mom were no shows.  The 21 y/o and I checked in together for our separate rooms, and were asked if the others were coming and we said no.  Was not a problem and the 21 y/o and I truly enjoyed having our own side by side balconies!  This was on Royal, but thought I would give you some encouragement.  Have a great cruise! 

A 17 year old is still considered a minor while a 21 year old in not.

• 3 months later...
On 2/13/2023 at 11:54 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Thank you so much for explaining this.  It makes lots of sense to me.  My husband is the CPAP user, but I feel confident that I will be the one carrying it onboard, since he will INSIST that it can just go in his checked in baggage.  I’m not about to risk him not having that machine at bedtime.

3 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Thank you so much for explaining this.  It makes lots of sense to me.  My husband is the CPAP user, but I feel confident that I will be the one carrying it onboard, since he will INSIST that it can just go in his checked in baggage.  I’m not about to risk him not having that machine at bedtime.

Yes, best to carry the CPAP machine onboard, rather than put it in your checked luggage.

Be sure to have your paper boarding pass with you, as well as whatever travel documents you are using (passport, birth certificate, etc), as you will be asked to show that you have it as you are approaching the terminal building.

Hope you have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1