Since Viking Shore Excursions are refundable, I don't need to insure them, right?

SempreMare

I have a Travel Insured trip insurance policy for upcoming Viking Homelands cruise.

Since Viking Shore Excursions are refundable, I don't need to add them to my total trip insurance policy, right? 

Or, am I forgetting some detail that would make me want to include them even if they are refundable? 

10 hours ago, SempreMare said:

I have a Travel Insured trip insurance policy for upcoming Viking Homelands cruise.

Since Viking Shore Excursions are refundable, I don't need to add them to my total trip insurance policy, right? 

Or, am I forgetting some detail that would make me want to include them even if they are refundable? 

10 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Correct. Only nonrefundable costs are insurable. 

Just one nuance to OTJ's accurate comment. If you were to invoke the interruption portion of your policy for a covered reason, that might mean you were unable to participate is some excursions which were inside the cancellation / refund window for Viking (memory says 3 days, but I'm uncertain).

Many interruption coverages are "unlimited", so not bound by the amount you covered initially and that would solve the problem, but it's worth looking at your particular policy, especially if you have any massively expensive land excursions (think Galapagos or Machu Picchu for example). 🍺🥌

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Another question is, if they are not insured in the policy, are you covered medically if injured while on an excursion?

Good question, but medical I think (my opinion) would still cover this.  I am covered medically for the trip and I may venture off the ship on my own or in a taxi or with a planned excursion.  I have never asked this question of my insurance broker but will now.  I feel that this would be covered UNLESS, any of the excursions fall under the less known clause of extreme activities or sports.  You are generally not covered for bungee jumping, parasailing, zip lining, kayaking, scuba diving, etc.  Does not matter what the circumstances are for any of these types of medical emergencies, you would not be covered.  Not a typical Viking excursion but...  

On Panama we went tubing in the caves.  I did not check with my insurance BUT I would bet that if one of us were injured while tubing in a dark cave, we would not have been covered.  Insurance companies will find any reason possible to not pay out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Another question is, if they are not insured in the policy, are you covered medically if injured while on an excursion?

On all of my various travel policies, the medical coverage is in force for a period of time - there's no relation to the dollar amount insured for cancellation / interruption, or whether your activity is an excursion or not.

I always make sure that the period of coverage starts the day prior to my departure and I add on extra time at the end, in case of delay returning. (It's also possible to call the insurer and extend coverage, but that might be hard if delayed and injured).

As @CDNPolar noted, the only restrictions as to uncovered activities will be those spelled out in the policy - usually the riskier things, or too much enjoyment of the SSBP prior ... 🍺🥌

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I always make sure that the period of coverage starts the day prior to my departure and I add on extra time 

Hi @CurlerRob, I also add on extra days at the end after reading that tip 

Why do you start coverage the day prior to departure? 

Follow-up:

I emailed @TayanaLorna's question "if excursions are not insured in the policy, are you covered medically if injured while on an excursion?" to Steve Dasseos one of the amazing people at the Trip Insurance Store. 

Answer:  Yes

RE:   

Risky excursions. 

I had not heard of this exclusion till after I was on a hot air balloon ride that crash landed in Holland when visiting for Keukenhof 2022.

Here's what a hot air balloon crash landing looks like.  I was so happy we didn't drown in a nearby BIG "canal".  I somersaulted backwards out of the basket, laughed that I escaped death, and started taking pics.  We landed on a beautiful random farm, complete with lush grass and adorable boys who ran across the farm screaming at us in Dutch.  I knew my shoulder hurt a lot, but nothing felt broken.    I did not realize I had completely tore my rotator cuff.   When I couldn't lift my arm to grab the van strap to get in I thought "uh-oh..."   Most painful surgical recovery I've ever experienced.  (rotator cuff tendon tear repair, clavicle bone excision, acromium bone decompression, biceps tenodesis).  6 weeks immobile in that sling. Then 2 hrs / day of PT, 1 hr every 12 hrs while at home for 6 months.

At least $10,000k in out of pocket expenses,  not because of the risky activity exclusion, but because the surgery, 2x weekly PT, etc. occurred here in the US.   Even though the injury occurred on the trip.   That was the surprising part.  I thought since the injury occurred on the trip, I'd be covered for costs related to that injury.  Insurance companies always win.   

[ Yes, I am sure that is spelled out in the policy somewhere, and I should have read the policy closer in order to not be surprised.] 

image.thumb.png.f0513815d42a03c58b65719a6f8452b7.png

image.thumb.png.75aa4ae2c8825e7421d952eee128134c.png

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

Hi @CurlerRob, I also add on extra days at the end after reading that tip 

Why do you start coverage the day prior to departure? 

Sorry to hear of your injuries, but glad you came through the crash!

While we always plan to be at the embarkation site at least a day early, the extra day prior is simply an allowance should we choose to advance our departure at the last minute - usually due to watching the weather forecast in the Great White North. The extra cost is trivial compared to being caught without medical coverage - as your bills illustrated! 🍺🥌

• Thanks 1