7 am Athens on Seabourn. Can I make flight!?

suni

Last year we we had an Iberia flight around 16.30 and spent hours waiting before we could check in.  We had left leaving the Encore as long as possible but still arrived at the airport at 10.45. The airport is no more than 45 mins from the Port and there was a road race that day which had closed a lot of roads.  The problem is that with European flights unlike long haul flights is that check in doesn’t open until 2 hours before the flight.  So no matter if you had business class flights it doesn’t help you to get to the lounge.  It’s probably worth mentioning that if you have BA or in our case Iberia flights the lounge is a serious disappointment!! Better to have a snack and pay at one of the delicious looking restaurants outside.

You can always opt for keeping your luggage with you and disembark with it.  This eliminates the need for hoping your luggage off loading from the ship is done in a timely manner.  There is no traffic on Sunday, especially in the AM.  I have done this self debarkation a number of times in different ports and with wheels on my suitcase I never had an issue.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I am also arriving in Athens at 7:00 am, but on a Wednesday, not a Sunday. Do you think on a Wednesday I could make it for a 10:00 am Aegean air flight to Santorini? Not sure how far ahead we would need to arrive for a domestic flight, and not sure what the weekday traffic is like. We could keep our luggage with us for disembarking, we travel pretty light.

Thanks!

On 2/10/2023 at 1:55 PM, Tallante said:

Last year we we had an Iberia flight around 16.30 and spent hours waiting before we could check in.  We had left leaving the Encore as long as possible but still arrived at the airport at 10.45. The airport is no more than 45 mins from the Port and there was a road race that day which had closed a lot of roads.  The problem is that with European flights unlike long haul flights is that check in doesn’t open until 2 hours before the flight.  So no matter if you had business class flights it doesn’t help you to get to the lounge.  It’s probably worth mentioning that if you have BA or in our case Iberia flights the lounge is a serious disappointment!! Better to have a snack and pay at one of the delicious looking restaurants outside.

We had the same issue. Kicked off the ship at 9am, airport by 10am, sat thumb twiddling until 3:30pm check in. No left luggage facilities and minimal seating. Nightmare! Awful place.

8 hours ago, crickette said:

Another question to ask yourself - will you spend the entire cruise worrying about that final morning and making the flight?  Will all that worrying spoil the enjoyment of your cruise?

I don't think so....they have flights every hour (the only reason I would book this one is that it's cheaper), so wouldn't they just put us on the next one if we missed it? Or do the Aegean Air flights fill completely?

On 2/10/2023 at 4:28 AM, suni said:

The flights time are challenging. I’d like to book an 11:30 am out of Athens on a Sunday. Do you think I can make it without going crazy?

Thank you! 

It's a half an hour from Piraeus to the Airport. If you can leave by 8:00am you will be ok.

On 2/10/2023 at 6:55 AM, Tallante said:

It’s probably worth mentioning that if you have BA or in our case Iberia flights the lounge is a serious disappointment!! Better to have a snack and pay at one of the delicious looking restaurants outside.

They are all pretty disappointing at ATH.

2 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

I don't think so....they have flights every hour (the only reason I would book this one is that it's cheaper), so wouldn't they just put us on the next one if we missed it? Or do the Aegean Air flights fill completely?

You miss it, you are a no-show.  Doesn't matter what the reason is when it's an originating flight.  And if you bought a cheap ticket, odds favor that it is non-refundable and non-transferable.  But for specifics, you need to read the fare rules for the specific fare your bought (and that does not just mean "coach" or "business").

You will be checking the fare fules before buying your ticket?

OK that is good info, I just assumed it worked like in the US when you miss your flight. I will probably just pay a little more for a slightly later flight. The next cheap one is at 3 pm and I don't want to go that late. Thanks for the feedback.

6 hours ago, lisa6191 said:

OK that is good info, I just assumed it worked like in the US when you miss your flight.

Not sure you know about USA fare rules.  You're saying that if you miss your originating flight, the airline will just put you on their next flight?  Check again.

• Haha 2