Covid insurance, please help!

Hello, happy Saturday! I urgently need to get travel insurance for my upcoming cruise. It needs to have Covid cover as per protocols for this cruise. Im going with Covermore but I don’t know exactly what they mean by Covid cover. The PDS information isn’t helping. What do I need or get, I just need someone to tell me which one, basic , comprehensive or comprehensive plus. 
How much do they read what insurance you actually have? 
Thank you 🙂

We have taken out comprehensive cover with NRMA and they have actually provided a separate letter which states "our International travel insurance policy issued to .....for travel dates from.... to.... includes "Covid-19 Benefits". This letter was provided without us requesting it.

• Like 1

In my experience basic cover won’t have COVID cover. I found it quite difficult as well as some such as RAC will indicate they will cover you for your cruise but then a disclaimer will come up saying they won’t cover you. 
I have been looking also. We used 1Cover last year. I found this article yesterday it was very helpful. 
https://amp.nine.com.au/article/56299d65-9c5d-4b6d-9fdd-78bf5bbd9755

hope this helps. 

• Like 1

I used 1Cover for a cruise a couple of months ago. Had to specify that it was for a cruise, which cost more than the basic cover.  It came with a sort of certificate stating that the insured was covered for Covid-caused cancellation and evacuation.  No-one asked to see it when I boarded.

I have had 1Cover and it did include COVID. The last cruise we used Insure and Go and the certificate had this "For one-trip international policies (Silver and Gold only) purchased after 15/11/2021, the sub-limit for medical expenses under Section M2 of the policy (COVID-19 Expenses: Medical Expenses outside of Australia) is unlimited. This policy and its cover is subject to terms and conditions specified in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) distributed along with this certificate".

I took out Annual Travel Insurance with NIB (don't have to be a member) last August, 2022. It has full Covid cover for both domestic and international travel, including cruising. I have done 3 cruises since then, both domestic and international, and have just had to show a paper copy of my insurance on embarkation on Carnival. Also have had to put in a claim which was handled very well.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 9:18 PM, Auscruisefam said:

Hello, happy Saturday! I urgently need to get travel insurance for my upcoming cruise. It needs to have Covid cover as per protocols for this cruise. Im going with Covermore but I don’t know exactly what they mean by Covid cover. The PDS information isn’t helping. What do I need or get, I just need someone to tell me which one, basic , comprehensive or comprehensive plus. 
How much do they read what insurance you actually have? 
Thank you 🙂

What makes you think that Insurance is mandatory for your cruise? - it is usually  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and they have a place for you to register the name of your particular Insurance Company and the name of any Emergency Company - BUT I have never been on any cruise (last one was cruise number 25) where they checked that you actually have insurance. Of course they want you to have it - and you should have it - but you dont need to overworry about it all. 

17 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

What makes you think that Insurance is mandatory for your cruise? - it is usually  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and they have a place for you to register the name of your particular Insurance Company and the name of any Emergency Company - BUT I have never been on any cruise (last one was cruise number 25) where they checked that you actually have insurance. Of course they want you to have it - and you should have it - but you dont need to overworry about it all. 

What makes me think that it’s mandatory is the email that I received from Carnival stating I will be denied boarding if I don’t have insurance that includes Covid. Knowing my luck I will be the one they will check all paper work for. 
Anyway I got insurance with the Covid cover certificate with NRMA for a reasonable price.

I cruised with Carnival on the 29th January and was asked to present proof of insurance which was perused by the staff. The covid coverage is actually required by either New Caledonia or Vanuatu, (I can't remember which one right now) rather than the cruise company but there were definitely people being denied boarding until they could show proof of Covid coverage.

I had QANTAS insurance and was sent an email which stated I had Covid insurance as it wasn't written on the Insurance certificate.

2 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

It is New Caledonia. They require anyone entering the country to have travel insurance, including cover for evacuation because of Covid infection.

That would make sense as to the differences between cruise ships - it is the destination that is the "problem"