sea sickness

Hottubmomma

while my wife has no problems with the wrist bans, i'd steer away from the patches.

on our very 1st cruise, many years ago, my wife (who talks to everyone) met a very nice lady. she introduced me and i asked where her husband was? she told us, he used the patches, and is nowin their cabin, seeing monkeys!.  go figure!

Patches were just a series of bad side effects, Bonine for the daytime and Dramamine for at night.

You need to keep up on taking the Bonine.  I have also avoided the Caribbean for quite a while. but have also done most of the cruises offered (East, West and Southern) .  Transatlantics,   Alaska and the Med have never been an issue for me.  I get seasick very easily but it it is possible I have gotten better as I have aged.

5 hours ago, kdmbluerzr said:

I have never heard that. I use the ear patches every time I cruise cause they work great for me, and I drink alcohol. Have never had an issue. 

Read the box it says to avoid alcohol right on it and on the prescription print out. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

while my wife has no problems with the wrist bans, i'd steer away from the patches.

on our very 1st cruise, many years ago, my wife (who talks to everyone) met a very nice lady. she introduced me and i asked where her husband was? she told us, he used the patches, and is nowin their cabin, seeing monkeys!.  go figure!

I used them for a while until I had stroke symptoms on board a ship. My left side of my face and neck were numb and my lips were tingling. I couldn’t speak properly. 
Thankfully the doctor on board recognized it was side effects from the patch.  
It was very scary. 

Edited by styles27

3 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Unless they changed the recipe the patches used to have a warning on the box. I haven’t used them since the ‘90s as I’m very happy with Bonine the few times I have problems. 

They still do. 

7 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Years ago a bought a Reliefband for a friend of mine who was going thru chemo. The effects were immediate, overall it worked very well. In the past few years I bought my wife and I pair. I'm a long time boater who never had an issue with motion sickness on my boat. On cruise ships its happened a few times. They are a little pricy but work very well

https://amzn.to/3E3hs0k

Another vote for Reliefband.  I've been using mine since 2008 and never leave home without it!  Works fast with no medication and it's well worth the cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, phoenix1181 said:

Another vote for Reliefband.  I've been using mine since 2008 and never leave home without it!  Works fast with no medication and it's well worth the cost.

On our last cruise I was talking with another passenger on a sea day. For whatever reason I was feeling a little motion sickness and I put the relief band on. The guy ask what it was, I told him and he laughed at the price and said he would never pay that much ($150). About 30 minutes later he asked if he could try it since he didn't feel too well. Within 2 minutes he felt much better, he took it off and gave it back to me. He came to me about an hour later looking really green and offered me $500 cash for my band Lol... (I declined)

I just ordered the rechargeable one for my birthday   https://amzn.to/3E9W5un

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 7:23 PM, Treasure Hunter said:

We feel Bonine is the best. And it doesn’t make you sleepy like Dramamine. CVS or any over the counter pharmacy. 

Meclizine is the generic name for Bonine and a fraction of the cost. If not on the pharmacy shelf, ask for it at the counter. I won't travel without it.

I'm very prone to motion sickness so I start taking it before my flight and daily throughout the cruise. Despite rough seas on the Pacific, Atlantic, and Tasman Sea, the only time I've gotten seasick was in the Panama Canal! That was due to watching the shoreline go by, not due to rough water.