New/different COVID boarding requirements for boarding Explorer in Tokyo, March/April(?) 2023

Portolan

All of your reports are very informative and helpful as we will be on many of the same tours in a couple of weeks, if we don't decide to change them based on your reviews.

Thank you for taking the time to report, much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Portolan said:

Kochi: Ms. Portolan did the "Japanese Papermaking Experience.". The actual papermaking took very little time with not much to do while it dried.  The bridge mentioned in the description wasn't very interesting

9 hours ago, Portolan said:

All were worthwhile except the last one in Shimizu, and the papermaking experience. 

On the previous cruise we enjoyed the paper making experience, although more could have been done to explain how the facility makes the various types & sizes of paper on display.

fullsizeoutput_14b6.thumb.jpeg.1b54aa6ba16f327fca5676f511657887.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14b8.thumb.jpeg.dab2d77c96f67400cf66e785536e8b29.jpeg

The trip to see the Nagoya 'submersible' bridge was simply a way of filling the time while our paper samples dried (although we had a debate as to whether the finished paper that we were given at the end of the tour were actually the ones we made earlier? 🤔)

yJ0MG08RmOqCHmlyMrbPw.thumb.jpeg.24bacf4013cf53a8cc83bbdb84901415.jpeg

Our guide gave strict repeated requests that no one should walk onto the bridge, but of course some had to ignore the warnings 🙄

We would rank this excursion as 7/10. Certainly not the best we have experienced with Regent; nor the worst.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 1:21 PM, RachelG said:

We embark today.  Really appreciate Portolan’s info.  I have yen in cash but this far have only used a credit card.

airport yesterday was crazy as lots of people, probably at least 25% , didn’t know about the required enter Japan and QR code.

Regarding the QR code, the site says it is for "Tax-free procedures". I could not get the site (on iPhone, iPad, or my Mac) to capture the photo. It kept saying "failed" and to try making it brighter. I tried several locations to no avail. I did input all the passport information manually, so I hope lack of a QR code does not impact our arrival. Anyone else have this probelm?

10 hours ago, upgrayders said:

Thanks...just wanted to make sure I understood correctly.  

May I also assume you are bringing the covid test kits with you 

Correct again. The test kits are compact so we brought 12 with us.

Dave

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:29 AM, upgrayders said:

May I assume that you showed the results on your mobile device and that the results were generated within three days of embarkation.  Thank you

Also boarded in Yokohama and had to show pictures of our test results, though I don’t think they really looked at the dates.  She basically just glanced at it to make sure it was negative.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:25 AM, BajaBarry said:

Regarding the QR code, the site says it is for "Tax-free procedures". I could not get the site (on iPhone, iPad, or my Mac) to capture the photo. It kept saying "failed" and to try making it brighter. I tried several locations to no avail. I did input all the passport information manually, so I hope lack of a QR code does not impact our arrival. Anyone else have this probelm?

I did not have this problem.  I was able to print out the QR code, as well as reproduce it on my phone where I could take a screenshot.