What to do not all inclusive beach break

Woody14

Will be in Cozumel in July on the Carnival Vista.   I am looking for something to do in Cozumel and I am not a fan of the all inclusive beach day.   Also not wanting to head to Tulum or Chichen Itza as I have been to both before.

Suggestions welcome

22 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

Will be in Cozumel in July on the Carnival Vista.   I am looking for something to do in Cozumel and I am not a fan of the all inclusive beach day.   Also not wanting to head to Tulum or Chichen Itza as I have been to both before.

Suggestions welcome

There is a thread immediately before your wuestion with suggestions.

also from previous thread

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

There is a thread immediately before your wuestion with suggestions.

also from previous thread

Thanks I was not finding much from either of those and was hoping a specific question would illicit some more responses.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Woody14 said:

Thanks I was not finding much from either of those and was hoping a specific question would illicit some more responses.  

OK sorry, lots of suggestions there that are not AI beach days which was what you asked for.

Perhaps you could be more specific as to the type of activity you are looking for?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

OK sorry, lots of suggestions there that are not AI beach days which was what you asked for.

Perhaps you could be more specific as to the type of activity you are looking for?

other than the AI beach club I have found on that thread:

- bar hopping

- everybody loves ray snorkel

- amazing race

- food tour

Trikes-Cozumel

- private tour of the island

I guess I am just surprised by how few things there are considering it is one of the most visited ports in the world.  I am not sure what I was expecting but some how it was more.

1 hour ago, Woody14 said:

other than the AI beach club I have found on that thread:

- bar hopping

- everybody loves ray snorkel

- amazing race

- food tour

Trikes-Cozumel

- private tour of the island

I guess I am just surprised by how few things there are considering it is one of the most visited ports in the world.  I am not sure what I was expecting but some how it was more.

There are actually several more suggestions than that in the two threads but more specifically you still don’t indicate if you are looking for something active, relaxing, cultural/mayan experiences, food oriented, drink oriented? Something for a couple of hours near the port, something for all day? Tours with a private driver can be customized to your requirements but you have to indicate what they are.

Cozumel is an island and the vast majority of activities revolve around the water- diving, snorkeling, snuba, helmet diving, paddle boards, jet skis, parasailing, pearl farm, fishing. There are land activities too but without knowing your mobility and a little more about what you are looking for it is hard to make suggestions. 

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

I have this same question - 18 people ages 4-45, non drinkers, we're the leftovers who aren't going to SCUBA.  We already have an AI beach in Costa Maya and a private tour of Roatan so looking for something light and easy and not crazy expensive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JenKate said:

I have this same question - 18 people ages 4-45, non drinkers, we're the leftovers who aren't going to SCUBA.  We already have an AI beach in Costa Maya and a private tour of Roatan so looking for something light and easy and not crazy expensive.

The same suggestions and questions as above apply but the big additional question would be which pier in Cozumel?

I agree that Chankanaab might be a good fit, especially because you have a 4 year old with you. It's pretty big and has sand and snorkeling and other animals and some Mayan replica ruins. If you don't even want to spend that much but maybe some want to snorkel, you could try the Money Bar. 

On 2/17/2023 at 6:44 PM, c-leg5 said:

The same suggestions and questions as above apply but the big additional question would be which pier in Cozumel?

Oh, thanks, Norwegian which means Punta Lagosta according to my research!

8 hours ago, JenKate said:

Oh, thanks, Norwegian which means Punta Lagosta according to my research!

Yes, Norwegian generally docks in town although it has been known to use International or tender if port load is very high.

If in town you have the advantage of lots of shops, restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets,  coffee shops, museum, town square and ocean side sculptures/ street art within walking distance. If you want somewhere with pool and snorkeling within walking distance, no entrance fee but food and drink purchase expected - No Name Bar. 

Chankanaab, already mentioned good for multiple generations but taxi and entrance fee required.

Also short taxi ride to Buccanos, snorkeling, small beach, pool, entrance charge but credited to food and drinks.

• 1 month later...

You might want to check the website for safetourscozumel.com. It’s a wonderful company that offers both group activities that you join others or private tours where you can literally do whatever you want.  They will have some suggestions or you can ask for certain things.  For instance, my daughter and I wanted to see a grocery store where locals would shop and somewhere that they made chocolate as well as doing a tequila tasting. 

Trip Advisor has lots of info about what to do also. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 2:15 PM, Woody14 said:

Suggestions welcome

What are you leaning towards in Cozumel?

Like you, we have a variety of ages cruising in July, and trying to stay a little budget friendly, since the bulk (just the week) have announced they want to hang out together in Cozumel.  To add to the challenge of planning, we also have a few who are now frightened to get off the ship in Mexico.  If it were just my immediate family, we would hop in a taxi without thinking twice, but now I'm wondering if we need to stick to a ship-sponsored excursion.  🤷‍♀️

16 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Like you, we have a variety of ages cruising in July, and trying to stay a little budget friendly, since the bulk (just the week) have announced they want to hang out together in Cozumel.  To add to the challenge of planning, we also have a few who are now frightened to get off the ship in Mexico.  If it were just my immediate family, we would hop in a taxi without thinking twice, but now I'm wondering if we need to stick to a ship-sponsored excursion.  🤷‍♀️

Still have not nailed it down yet. I am leaning towards a cooking excursion that also has a 'beach break' or at least time at their pool.    Not so worried about getting off the ship in Cozumel as it is an island on its own so the issues going on in Mexico are not really affecting there (or at least from everything I can tell).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Not sure how ship sponsored would be any safer. Often times in Cozumel transport is via taxi due to union rules, sometimes union approved bus. Fare is included in price but you still travel by taxi. 

violence in Cozumel is not directed at tourists but just like anywhere you could get caught up in crossfire. This is just as possible on ship sponsored or independent excursion. I would let each family do what they are comfortable with. You are never going to find something suitable for all ages. There are always going to be some who want shorter/longer, quieter/more active, AI/PAYG. The more people the more difficult it will be.

I don’t know how many your group involves? Perhaps time to get a private driver and have a sampler day with a custom tour? We usually use ToursPlaza. You could even drop some off for one activity while others do something else within reason if locations are close. Unfortunately in July you are likely to have sargassum on east coast but Punta Sur may be an option but certainly wont tick all the boxes for everyone. It certainly won’t t suit those who want a quick 10 minute ride to the nearest beach with a pool.

One problem with Cozumel is that there are many options for all budgets. Many ideas were shared at the beginning of this thread.