White Pass Railroad - help convince me

erienetuser

We've watched video's of  this and  it just seems... kinda meh. We  loved Yosemite, Yellowstone,  Grand  Tetons  and  Maine in  the  fall.  Iceland  was absolutely breathtaking,  and when we were  there we got to  see  the  volcano  erupting which  was  a once  in a lifetime. But this excursion? I  dunno, it  just  isn't doing it  for  me. Will  I regret passing on  it?

I would do the train one way and the bus the other direction. They have different views and the stops you get off on the bus are definitely worthy.

I can tell you I have done the train multiple times, the bus, combo and car drives into the area. People do fall asleep on the way back if they do the train round trip.

The scenery is gorgeous and from a historical stand point, it is amazing to fully understand what people did on that journey. I do recommend going into the area (unless you are going to the a helicopter and land on a glacier). Look at cruise ship tours that do bus one way, train one way or Chilkoot Tours: https://chilkootcharters.com. I prefer Chilkoot due to their vans vs large buses.

If you just hang out in Skagway proper - it is sort of a tourist trap. I would recommend it unless there is something else that really peaks your interest. It is what this area is known for.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Skagway is a national park and rangers give free tours of the town with historical info

We found that quite jnteresting!

I've also done a kayak tour to a glacier there

You don't have to do the trai. ride

My park ranger tour was also really good but it only lasted probably an hour. One can easily do train plus the ranger tour. I know in the past, the park ranger tours would book up quickly - I looked the other day to see if I could book it in advance as last I knew, you could pay a nominal fee to hold a tour slot. 

I have heard great things about Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and almost mentioned that but someone died a few years ago on that tour and a bunch of people who worked for them came out with serious safety violations so I hesitated to recommend that tour.

Edited by Coral

https://www.skagway.com/listing/klondike-gold-rush-national-historical-park/78/

We did not book in advance

I agree you can do something else in addition to the ranger talk

It just doesn't have to be the train ride which to me is the epitome of a tourist activity

Everyone travels differently

It's like someone telling me that a visit to San Francisco is not complete without going to Alcatraz(which I'd never do)

16 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

https://www.skagway.com/listing/klondike-gold-rush-national-historical-park/78/

We did not book in advance

I agree you can do something else in addition to the ranger talk

It just doesn't have to be the train ride which to me is the epitome of a tourist activity

Everyone travels differently

It's like someone telling me that a visit to San Francisco is not complete without going to Alcatraz(which I'd never do)

It took me several trips to get a ticket to the walking ranger tour (this was before they allowed one to book in advance by paying a $1 or so). They always filled up - just wanted to let people know about that. This was outstanding.

There are also ranger talks and I don't think these fill up as much.

Edited by Coral

I would say yes, it is important to get into the Yukon and to understand the Gold Rush story. If you do it via bus or train or combo - it is worth it and really what this port stop is for. It doesn't have to take up the entire day as the train ride is only a small part of the trip. I don't know anyone who regrets it.

We did not do the railroad and I have no regrets for not doing it. Like you, I didn't see the appeal of sitting on a train and watching scenery go by. Maybe on a different trip...but not this one. 

We went into the park office and looked all around. There's an excellent relief map in there and the story of the gold rush is there on display to read about at your own pace. We did not do the historic ranger tour, I wasn't as interested in the theme of the talk for the ones that would work best with our schedule. We then headed over to the Dewey Lake trail system and hiked around. It was fabulous to get INTO the forest that we had been cruising all around and just see what we could see. We were a multi-generation trip with my parents, DH, DS and myself. It was the kind of day where we rotated pairing up on the trail and had great conversation and just enjoyed being IN Alaska.

It felt great to get out and stretch our legs and do something active. We also spent time wandering in Skagway itself. We had plenty of time to do whatever we wanted there. Plan the trip that makes you happy. 

I’m one of those who feel the train was a “one and done” as just the train ride.  The scenery and history is spectacular so may I suggest you do a combo tour?  That way you get to experience the ride and then get off and explore.  Take the train one direction and then come back another way.  You can go into the Yukon, visit Emerald Lake, pet the sled dog puppies, tour the museum at Caribou Crossing before heading back to Skagway via a bus or small shuttle.  You’ll be able to stop at places on the way down for photo ops as well.

We’ve also taken the train up and then rode (coasted, really!) bikes down.   Love working with Sockeye Cycles (https://www.sockeyecycle.com/excursions/).

One of my all time favorite excursions was taking the train up, getting off and then hiking to the Laughton Glacier (https://www.packerexpeditions.com/skagway-hiking-tours/laughton-glacier-hike-white-pass-train-expedition/).

As noted by previous posters, you don’t need to take the train.  Lots of other options in Skagway.  We’ve been there a number of times (and will be visiting 4 times this summer) so the train isn’t a priority any more.  We like to hike and bike now.  But, we did go on the train during our first visit to Skagway (on a Yukon/train combo).

4 hours ago, Coral said:

It took me several trips to get a ticket to the walking ranger tour (this was before they allowed one to book in advance by paying a $1 or so). They always filled up - just wanted to let people know about that. This was outstanding.

There are also ranger talks and I don't think these fill up as much.

I don't see where I would get tickets, was that only a covid thing?

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

I’m one of those who feel the train was a “one and done” as just the train ride.  The scenery and history is spectacular so may I suggest you do a combo tour?  That way you get to experience the ride and then get off and explore.  Take the train one direction and then come back another way.  You can go into the Yukon, visit Emerald Lake, pet the sled dog puppies, tour the museum at Caribou Crossing before heading back to Skagway via a bus or small shuttle.  You’ll be able to stop at places on the way down for photo ops as well.

We’ve also taken the train up and then rode (coasted, really!) bikes down.   Love working with Sockeye Cycles (https://www.sockeyecycle.com/excursions/).

One of my all time favorite excursions was taking the train up, getting off and then hiking to the Laughton Glacier (https://www.packerexpeditions.com/skagway-hiking-tours/laughton-glacier-hike-white-pass-train-expedition/).

As noted by previous posters, you don’t need to take the train.  Lots of other options in Skagway.  We’ve been there a number of times (and will be visiting 4 times this summer) so the train isn’t a priority any more.  We like to hike and bike now.  But, we did go on the train during our first visit to Skagway (on a Yukon/train combo).

The bike trip looks awesome! How close did cars get to you, is the road fairly wide?

I see Laughton Glacier Trail on All Trails, says it's 4 miles with a 860 ft gain. Is that the trail you took?

3 minutes ago, erienetuser said:

The bike trip looks awesome! How close did cars get to you, is the road fairly wide?

I see Laughton Glacier Trail on All Trails, says it's 4 miles with a 860 ft gain. Is that the trail you took?

The bike ride was awesome!  Road is wide enough and not a lot of traffic so it wasn’t an issue.  One of the tour guides rode at the back to watch for traffic and warned us.

Yes, that is the trail. We rode the train to a designated stop, got off with our guides, hiked to the glacier, had a snack and then hiked back where we had a meal.  Ride vans back down to Skagway.  Hike wasn’t too strenuous—I’m in my late 50s and was able to do it okay.

Just now, disneyochem said:

The bike ride was awesome!  Road is wide enough and not a lot of traffic so it wasn’t an issue.  One of the tour guides rode at the back to watch for traffic and warned us.

Yes, that is the trail. We rode the train to a designated stop, got off with our guides, hiked to the glacier, had a snack and then hiked back where we had a meal.  Ride vans back down to Skagway.  Hike wasn’t too strenuous—I’m in my late 50s and was able to do it okay.

We'll shoot, the website says they're taking a break for the 2023 season. 

Just now, erienetuser said:

We'll shoot, the website says they're taking a bre

1 minute ago, erienetuser said:

We'll shoot, the website says they're taking a break for the 2023 season. 

Oops, only the glacier hike is unavailable, bike looks like it's still on

25 minutes ago, erienetuser said:

I don't see where I would get tickets, was that only a covid thing?

I can't find it either.

I think they offered it before COVID. It has been years since I did the original walking tour. I always planned something first thing in the morning (train, car, bus) so I could never get a time slot for the walking tour. They would go fast. Eventually I was able to finally do it and did enjoy it. The past several years I have read that one could reserve it for $1 or so but I haven't been back to Alaska for awhile. I was looking recently. I will post if I find it as I would like to do it again.

7 hours ago, erienetuser said:

But this [railroad] excursion? I dunno, it just isn't doing it for me. Will I regret passing on it?

If you're a railroad enthusiast then you will regret passing on it. But if you were a railroad enthusiast (and I am in that category) then I don't think you would be asking that question, so I assume you're not. In that case I focus on ascertaining if there's anything distinctive about this particular railroad that takes it beyond the railfan community. Some type of engineering feat, distinct areas that are other inaccessible, or historic cars. And there is some interesting engineering here, so too does that exist elsewhere (e.g., Ferrocarril Chihuahua al Pacífico). It is narrow gauge, but that is not unique either (e.g., Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad). There are some areas that are otherwise inaccessible by highway, natural scenery is not so distinct from that from the highway. Some of the cars truly are old, with a few going back to the nineteenth century, but most cars are modern designed to emulate the appearance of older cars. Periodically the railroad operates its steam locomotive to carry cars, something that is appealing beyond the railfan market, but it does not appear as if the railroad is operating any of those excursions in 2023. Finally there are people who need transportation between Skagway and Whitehorse (or intermediate points) and the railroad is simply the most convenient or comfortable to provide that transportation. I think the railroad is largely marketing. It is now owned by a corporate subsidiary of Carnival Corporation, and it is promoted to further line the pockets of the cruise line with another over-priced shore excursion. In San Francisco many tourists ride cable cars, not because they have an inherent and strong interest in that particular transportation technology, but because the tourism industry (including Tony Bennett) has promoted the cable cars as something tourists "must" do. I think the same is true here: the railroad is something that tourists "must" do. And so I think a large number of railroad passengers sit back, watch the landscape go by, with little understanding of how this particular railroad trip compares with other railroad trips, and some with an attitude of, "is this it?" Yes, many are amazed, probably mostly so because they've never been on a train before or have never seen typical Alaska landscapes. And as noted, this is clearly an excursion that will excite nearly any railroad enthusiast. But for others, I think you're correctly looking at this excursion with the proper level of critical review.

• Like 2

I forgot to say for me, whether it was a land or sea vacation, I have not been on an “excursion” that I did not enjoy, even though some are more memorable than others.  I am just thankful that I have been able to take as many trips as I have.  

• Like 2