Live Review - Harmony of the Seas 2/18-2/26 Southern Caribbean

DaKahuna

33 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We have dinner reservations at 150 Central Park tonight.  It will be the first time we have dined at this venue. 

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts. CP 150 is my favorite specialty restaurant. Make sure to get the cucumber martini.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Good afternoon from Curacao.  We had a leisurely breakfast this morning and once again the grits were ordered.  I found them okay but they were a little more ‘watery’ than the last time so just okay and not great. 

Eggs Benedict were ordered, sans sauce, and extra Canadian bacon on the side.  You need the extra because to me that one thin slice per egg does not cut it.  They really need to look at tripling the thickness of the bacon.

After breakfast it was the walk around the suite sundeck and the Solarium we came back to our room, applied sun cream and off to take a stroll ashore. 

We are docked behind the Norweigan Epic which means we had to navigate more people to get to the RIF Fort area.  As expected the wife picked up an item or three and browsed a number of stores.  Having been here numerous times before we did not even going past the RIF Fort and just made our way back through the crowds to the ship.

we did notice that since we were here last year this feature had been completed and was doing a near SRO business.

E248DAEA-ECE9-4C34-A275-29A43335851A.thumb.jpeg.8c8a05bf03dc9eacf843d5a6dfcd89e3.jpeg

We decided to pass it by and instead see visit my new best friend Eloy at the Suite Lounge Bar. 

Lunch followed in CK.  My wife reports the spaghetti with meat sauce from the Kids Menu is still good.  We split the Margherita Flat Bread, Serrano Ham Wrapped Dates, and both had shrimp and spinach salad.  Dessert was a simple bowl of ice cream each. 

We are now relaxing in the room since there is direct sun on our balcony. Not to future self - book starboard side rooms if you want to face the port on this itinerary. 

i am trying to remember if there were any areas someone wanted me to check for them but think I got them all so far.  If I missed something, please speak up. 

P.S.  Say hello to my little friend 

DB3D37EF-572F-40CE-9093-CDBC82F6C667.thumb.jpeg.083dc74eea785838554c50cf3458603e.jpeg

• Like 3

We saw a great show last night - Martin Brock, a very original and talented magician and comedian.  He will be leaving the ship tomorrow in Aruba.  Maybe he has a date at one of the hotels there.  Anyway, if you ever see him booked, don't miss him.

This morning we had breakfast in the windjammer, then headed off to wander around among the colorful buildings and souvenir shops.  Was able to purchase some sugarfree gum that I had forgotten to pack.  My daughter scored a really nice 100% cotton t-shirt @ $5 for her hubby, and I got a magnet with a painting of the picturesque buildings on it.  Back for a little lunch at the Windjammer, now time to nap.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Good afternoon from Curacao.  We had a leisurely breakfast this morning and once again the grits were ordered.  I found them okay but they were a little more ‘watery’ than the last time so just okay and not great. 

Eggs Benedict were ordered, sans sauce, and extra Canadian bacon on the side.  You need the extra because to me that one thin slice per egg does not cut it.  They really need to look at tripling the thickness of the bacon.

After breakfast it was the walk around the suite sundeck and the Solarium we came back to our room, applied sun cream and off to take a stroll ashore. 

We are docked behind the Norweigan Epic which means we had to navigate more people to get to the RIF Fort area.  As expected the wife picked up an item or three and browsed a number of stores.  Having been here numerous times before we did not even going past the RIF Fort and just made our way back through the crowds to the ship.

we did notice that since we were here last year this feature had been completed and was doing a near SRO business.

E248DAEA-ECE9-4C34-A275-29A43335851A.thumb.jpeg.8c8a05bf03dc9eacf843d5a6dfcd89e3.jpeg

We decided to pass it by and instead see visit my new best friend Eloy at the Suite Lounge Bar. 

Lunch followed in CK.  My wife reports the spaghetti with meat sauce from the Kids Menu is still good.  We split the Margherita Flat Bread, Serrano Ham Wrapped Dates, and both had shrimp and spinach salad.  Dessert was a simple bowl of ice cream each. 

We are now relaxing in the room since there is direct sun on our balcony. Not to future self - book starboard side rooms if you want to face the port on this itinerary. 

i am trying to remember if there were any areas someone wanted me to check for them but think I got them all so far.  If I missed something, please speak up. 

P.S.  Say hello to my little friend 

DB3D37EF-572F-40CE-9093-CDBC82F6C667.thumb.jpeg.083dc74eea785838554c50cf3458603e.jpeg

Supposedly it varies, but we were starboard on Harmony in Dec and we had the view of all three ports.  We certainly enjoyed those views each time.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts. CP 150 is my favorite specialty restaurant. Make sure to get the cucumber martini.

Cheers!

I am definitely in the minority but CP 150 is my least favorite specialty, for me I just hated the spices they added . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

I am definitely in the minority but CP 150 is my least favorite specialty, for me I just hated the spices they added . 

My wife and I don't care for it either.  A little too fufu for us.  

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Cheers!

I apologize but we were a bit disappointed with the food in 150.  The service was top notch but I was not that impressed. The scallops were small although flavorful. The braised short rib was fork tender and melted in my mouth. 

i had the Lobster Thermidor (to share with my wife) and the Lamb Wellington.  My DW had the halibut.  The Lobster was not hot, it was slightly below warm and my lamb was overcooked for my liking. My DW said the halibut was just okay.

I did love the cucumber martini, both of them.  The Cabernet Sauvignon that followed the martini’s was good also.  Did not even check to see what it was.

My wife has decreed that I am not to make reservations there again. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, topnole said:

Is there reserve seating for D+ at the aqua show.  I don’t remember that.  

On my last 3 cruises on Oasis class last year-yes, they do!  We sat in them. You have to get there before they release the seats to everyone else. I think 15 minutes before showtime is when they do that. They are near the center, top and there is usually a crew member holding a sign. 

Edited by zanydoc

41 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I apologize but we were a bit disappointed with the food in 150.  The service was top notch but I was not that impressed. The scallops were small although flavorful. The braised short rib was fork tender and melted in my mouth. 

i had the Lobster Thermidor (to share with my wife) and the Lamb Wellington.  My DW had the halibut.  The Lobster was not hot, it was slightly below warm and my lamb was overcooked for my liking. My DW said the halibut was just okay.

I did love the cucumber martini, both of them.  The Cabernet Sauvignon that followed the martini’s was good also.  Did not even check to see what it was.

My wife has decreed that I am not to make reservations there again. 

Sorry it was disappointing. Ever restaurant on every ship is different. Who knows if you try it again on a different ship the result may be different.

21 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

For those that are interested a new bourbon made an appearance in the Suite Lounge bar today - Tin Cup.

Also a new rum, which I am having for my current Rum Old Fashioned. 
69BBE81D-4076-40CF-AE2A-608E09A79F62.thumb.jpeg.9a800a19c22d14cea4ec8e126bad0ebf.jpeg

I like Tin Cup. Interesting that they even had it.

3 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Um, that's not enough bourbon. I live in Kentucky. This is our local steakhouse's selection of bourbon. 

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 10.50.41 PM.png

Ehats the name of that restaurant? I need to stop there on my next visit.

24 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

On my last 3 cruises on Oasis class last year-yes, they do!  We sat in them. You have to get there before they release the seats to everyone else. I think 15 minutes before showtime is when they do that. They are near the center, top and there is usually a crew member holding a sign. 

Cool.  Thanks for that info.  

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

My wife and I don't care for it either.  A little too fufu for us.  

My recollection is it was a little different ship to ship.  On oasis I liked a few years back.  On another recently it was just OK.  Could be a post Covid cut backs issue. Hard to know.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Ehats the name of that restaurant? I need to stop there on my next visit.

It's called Malone's. They have one location in Louisville and a couple in Lexington. Amazing steak and great bourbon selection. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, njsmom said:

It's called Malone's. They have one location in Louisville and a couple in Lexington. Amazing steak and great bourbon selection. 

I have been to the one in Louisville!  Amazing selections. I was like a kid in a candy store.  One of the few time I hid a bR bill from my DW!!!! 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

For those that are interested a new bourbon made an appearance in the Suite Lounge bar today - Tin Cup.

Also a new rum, which I am having for my current Rum Old Fashioned. 
69BBE81D-4076-40CF-AE2A-608E09A79F62.thumb.jpeg.9a800a19c22d14cea4ec8e126bad0ebf.jpeg

I’m sure the staff rotate, but I feel like I remember the name you mention earlier (your favorite bartender in the SL).  In December we had some top notch guys behind the bar.  One did magic and he was very talented.  

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Always seems to be thin aboard when finished.

A new crew member is slicing a large solid piece of bacon like normal deli meat on the automatic machine not realizing that it shrinks considerably after cooking: or they are ordering generic commercial trays of precut bacon (the bacon is prearranged on an 18"x10" wax paper serving, one deep, that can be lifted and perfectly fitted on a baking tray (minimum 10 Lb box)

I use these at home, easy and economical but as you stated, thin at the end of cooking. Canadian bacon is usually a thicker cut. I wonder what they served you.

I am getting hungry thinking about it, darnittt @DaKahuna, your vivid descriptions and pictures are making me hungry.  😉😁

8 hours ago, topnole said:

I’m sure the staff rotate, but I feel like I remember the name you mention earlier (your favorite bartender in the SL).  In December we had some top notch guys behind the bar.  One did magic and he was very talented.  

His name is Eloy from Peru.  He’s joined by a nice young lady from South Africa, Mapula, but I have not seen any magic tricks yet.

2 hours ago, njsmom said:

My son and I will be on the Harmony on April 1. What is the current Broadway show? Is it still Grease? 

Yes, Grease is still the Broadway show.  We have a reservation for the 10 pm showing tomorrow night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Always seems to be thin aboard when finished.

A new crew member is slicing a large solid piece of bacon like normal deli meat on the automatic machine not realizing that it shrinks considerably after cooking: or they are ordering generic commercial trays of precut bacon (the bacon is prearranged on an 18"x10" wax paper serving, one deep, that can be lifted and perfectly fitted on a baking tray (minimum 10 Lb box)

I use these at home, easy and economical but as you stated, thin at the end of cooking. Canadian bacon is usually a thicker cut. I wonder what they served you.

I am getting hungry thinking about it, darnittt @DaKahuna, your vivid descriptions and pictures are making me hungry.  😉😁

i am sorry to report that the quality of the grits has gone downward. Todays are more watery than I like.  

8 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

His name is Eloy from Peru.  He’s joined by a nice young lady from South Africa, Mapula, but I have not seen any magic tricks yet.

Yeah. Definitely different folks.  I guess one of the names was similar.   Our group was mostly Indian or Filipino.  I assume, even though they rotate, the folks moving to SL every couple weeks are still the ones with the best performance reviews.  Glad to hear you have been enjoying their service.  I also found the SL bar a nice place to have my night cap drink.