Better late than never: MSC Meraviglia Review Jan 22-29, 2023

PammyMouse

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review on any page!"

PammyMouse was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Background - I’ve been a loyal NCL cruiser, the last with NCL Dawn in the Baltics this past summer.   We’ve sailed in Suites or Jewel-Class mini-Havens for the last three family cruises.  I also did a suite solo on Princess in January 2022.  I prefer suites if we can manage it due to preferred boarding, priority, space, etc.

I booked Meravigia because of the very attractive solo rates in the YC.   I had wanted to try this line to see if it would work for our family.  We are only three, DH, DD (10), and myself.  What also appealed was the European feel, since I lived abroad for 16 years in Germany and France. 

Flew out Jan 21 from ORD, stayed at a MCO airport hotel - Courtyard by Marriot.  Booked transfers through a private company.  No real issues with my flight, hotel, or my transfers.  Transfer company was running a little late but I heard there were issues disembarking Mera before us, so it wasn’t their fault.  I chose the transfer company (Cruise Control) because of the hotel pick up – they were communicative and friendly.

Boarding was fairly smooth.  I found the YC tent, went up to YC check-in and then sat in the holding area for a bit.  There were a few false starts on the boarding, but I was in the YC Top Sail Lounge before lunch.  The cabin wasn’t ready but I got a nice lunch, then went back to the lounge until it was ready.  My luggage arrived quickly (earlier than NCL).  One thing I thought is that MSC should update the website with the current services for YC.  I had expected some Prosecco in the room, not the case.  I did get some fruit and wine on the third day.  Chocolate covered strawberries on the elegant night.  There was nice chocolate each day before bed.  On departure they gave us some macaroons.

I liked the food\and the variety.  Maybe because I’m not really a meat eater – I don’t totally avoid it, but large portions aren’t for me, so this is mostly a pescatarian’s/vegetarian’s view. There were a few misses, some dumplings were dry on the first day, but all tasted pretty good.  I liked that the menus for lunch and dinner changed each day.  Some items appeared again, but it was good to have the variety.  They do get a little funny about your habits – I decided for no coffee one evening and they brought it after I was gone, also I do like French rose, but after I had it a couple of times, and wanted something else, so it got a little weird.

Entertainment – I went to all but one of the evening shows in the main theatre.  I also went to the paid show “Rock Circus” and wasn’t terribly impressed.  I thought the best main theatre performance was the last one, “Journeys”, and the main theatre had the best performers.  The crew show was fun.

Cabin – I Had a deluxe suite, basically a large balcony cabin.  It was comfortable, the climate control good.  Hanging space was a bit limited, but enough for me.  If I were to share it with my family, storage might be tight, but we could use the drawers for DD.  There are drawers by the beds and desk/mini-bar area.  I don’t know if they will bring extra hangers, but I filled all of mine – and I travel carry-on only. 

Other venues – I liked the promenade area, especially the pub downstairs (my main source of IPA), the tables just outside of the pub looked down on the main shopping/restaurant area, and they did a few spontaneous show things a la Royal Caribbean.  I also had good service in the Champagne bar, which was mostly quiet in the evenings.

From what I observed, the main pool deck seemed a little overrun.  I’m not sure I would want to spend much time there.  I liked the jogging track area and the gym was usually quiet when I went in the afternoon to use the treadmill, even on a particularly rainy afternoon in Cozumel.

Some of my issues were my own fault – the wine by the glass at dinner for example.  I wish they had a list of what was on offer by the glass, but I could have been more proactive and asked what reds or whites they had.

Ports – Nassau:  I did a private walking tour, at first fun, then felt like a sales pitch. Ocean Cay:  walked around a lot, had lunch at Ocean House, did the light house climb which was nice. They were cleaning up Ocean House when I came back and wanted a drink, so I headed back out to a bar by the marina.  That was a nice find, sitting by the water sipping Coronas.  😊  Belize City:  I did a ship tour to Alta Ha.  It was 2 hours driving back and forth and a bit of walking around.  It was nice to see but terribly muggy and hot.  It was also 10:30-2:30 which meant I was starving – no lunch.  I raided the snacks in the lounge when I got back.  Cozumel:  I did the biking and taco tour.  We made it through 2 stops and it was called because of the rain that was pouring down.  Even though it was cut short, that was my favorite tour, the food was good and the guide gregarious.

I've had a few weeks to mull it over, but I would go again.  I thought the food was good.  I don’t expect gourmet food, but I had some nice dishes that I rarely get anymore (I was naughty and had foie gras).   It was good to think about it a bit, as I had to put some prejudices aside, especially since the last cruise I had NCL’s Premium Plus package which meant Brunello and Veuve on repeat.  The YC was very relaxing, loved the pool area, the excellent coffee in the YC.  One thing which I didn't totally get though, the lounge sometimes had bowls of raisins as a snack.  I like them, but that seems like an odd choice, and well, too many raisins are not a good thing.

I have one question if anyone can answer – what was the brand of the magnifying mirror in the YC bathroom?  It was one of the best ones I’ve used.  I’m getting to that point in my life where I need it!  😄

Have a great weekend and Happy Cruising, 

PM

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Your experience sounds similar to ours. Mostly great with a few imperfections here and there. Regarding the sparkling wine, we had to ask but it was provided. In the past it was already in the room. 

I figured that it was probably due to my inexperience and lack of assertiveness.  I agree with your assessment, too. I'm never going to find a "perfect" cruise line, and I am willing to stay flexible.

• Like 1

We just got off the Meraviglia Feb. 12th and it was our 4th MSC cruise and 2nd on Meraviglia.  MSC has so much to offer, especially if one speaks to bang for the buck.  We usually do balconies, but find we are being priced out to oceanview and even interior on other lines.  We are diamond with RCL...which was first 'good' point with MSC, as they status matched us to their GOLD level.  But this was also the first glitch as we were first issued silver sea cards.  After waiting at customer service in a long line, we were given GOLD cards...but then they would not unlock our stateroom.  It was this kind of thing that seemd commonplace...what I'd call glitches, or inefficiency. Embarkation was very chaotic...again long lines..but it was also raining that day so that might be overlooked to some degree.  We seemed to be waiting in lines throughout this cruise.   MDR food was not as good as other lines [like RCL and especially Celebrity]...but we're not foodies and it was certainly adequately good.  We liked the marketplace [their windjammer buffet].  Always found a table and not as chaotic and the food, again, adequately good. On the good side, our cabin was one of the nicest we've been in, quite roomy, and the balcony nice.  storage was a bit limited [something we found on Seaside also], but manageable.  Bathroom was quite nice, shower large and robust.  We found the bars often 'packed' and hard to get a drink...again, cuz of the lines.  

Wow, sounds like I'm being overly critical here, but thing of it is, we LOVE MSC.  These ships are absolutely beautiful...and there's all the bells and whistles...the entertainment great [there were at least 4 production shows] plus 2 wholly different 'Carousel Shows' [a hold over lounge setup from the old Circ de Soleil that used to perform there].  

Truth is, as much as we'd love to be devoted to MSC [their cruise fares are priced way below other lines]...they just need to get their efficiency down better.  Our embarkation, for example, was one of the worst we've experienced [in the top 3 worst].  More 'hurry up and wait' lines...first to be called to debark...and then something like an hour standing waiting for our luggage to be brought to the pickup area.  I think there may have been a medical emergency that cause the delay though [not sure...just that we stood for a long time].  

There was something that happened at Cozumel also...a line to get back on the ships [mostly to do with the Allure that was also docked]...that was unbelievably long.  That may have not been MSC's fault though [perhaps the Port authorities or something].

Another good thing, this was the first time we went to Ocean Cay, MSC's private island in the Bimini chain.  It was quite nice.  MSC has put a lot of money in building that island and it was beautiful. We'd love to go there again. 

All in all, nothing here that we'd term a 'deal breaker'...and we'd gladly book MSC again if we see a good itinerary. Yes, MSC does need to work on that efficiency, but if they ever pull that together, they are going to grab market share for Caribbean cruising like you wouldn't believe.  Better lookout RCL, NCL, and Carnival.   

Hope this not stepping on toes of OPoster...but thought we'd add our 2cents to the topic.  It really was a great cruise for us overall [even with the lines, the gliltches, and perhaps not inspiring MDR dishes].  But you gotta love that fare price.  And those balcony cabins are exceptional.  

• Like 2

Our recent experience is Virtuosa B2B that sails out of the UK.
When things go well they are very good but sometime they go spectacularly wrong.

We had two main instances that caused chaos

They decided to change currency  between the cruises no one really seemed to know the impact when asked, on the day it became apparent(might be considered Obvous) they needed every account settled before they would open the ship to new passengers and the B2B ones, long lines at guest services to get accounts closed, many only found out as they tried to get off the ship and got turned around making the disembark line go very slow, loads of kids, pushchairs and scooters.

The B2B pax could not get their new cards if you got off the ship you  would have to join the embarkation line to get back on and that was growing as they could not start check in till the system had swapped currency.

Then at the end of that second cruise(which was a multi embark itinerary) UK immigration wanted to do a face to face of every passenger once docked, no organization by MSC resulted in a line the full length of the ship(from carousel lounge right forward past master into TV lounge).

They started with one laptop where they checked you off as having been seen so that line backed up to the multiple immigration officials that were checking passports.

Then that was not linked to the exit scan so no one could get off another big line formed in the galleria,  some just left their cards and walked off.

Again delays for the embarking passengers as the terminal building started to fill.

One issue MSC has is their card scanner take too long to bring up your details which delays every interaction with security most of the time this is ok but if a line start to grow every one is a few seconds longer than they need to be.

The first cruise was very busy(school hols), at times very hard to get seats, our schedule around dining seemed to work and often found seats immediately or short delay as peopled moved on.

After many years I have learnt once you know where you are going to hang out a lot of the time go when quiet and engage the servers and bar tenders we often end up with one we get on with and they will prioritise you when the place gets busy we also anticipate our next drink before we finish so any delay is incidental and does result in no drink periods unless we want them.

We avoid disembark chaos by aiming to be the last group off any ship/line we are rarely in a hurry to get anywhere so can wait a couple of hours(longer when they mess up) get out of the cabin late breakfast....

• Like 1

@PammyMouseThank you for your honest review! We were on the same cruise as you and stayed on for the 4 day after.  We were not in the YC. The same as you, everything was not perfect but we did not sweat the small stuff. Had a great cruise and have already booked our next cruise on the MSC Divina for 18 days. 

As long as one goes on an MSC cruise with an open mind and not knit pick over every little thing then I have found they enjoy the cruise. When one goes on a cruise and compares it to other Americanized lines (RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, etc) that is where the issues begin.

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1