Ending in Anchorage

ljandiernp

I'd like to spend more than 7 cruise days in Alaska than provided by a cruise, but don't think a cruise tour is valuable option for me. I'm wondering if there is anyone who can comment about staying in Anchorage. From my reading it seems as though there is a lot to do there, including hiking, birding and going to the botanical gardens. If you can comment from your own experiences, please tell me about transportation there. Can one take public transportation (bus? cab? does Uber exist there??) to locations outside the city? Thank you, Laurie 

There are many areas for hiking & birding although they are pretty spread out in the Anchorage Bowl. A car rental would be best.  If not, look at staying near the People Mover bus transit center downtown. You can get to most places from there although may need to transfer at some point.  If you’re on Face Book look at the page, “Alaska Travel Tips”. There are many local Anchorage folks on there who will give you some great advice. One area that is particularly good for birding is Potter Marsh. There used to be a shuttle out that direction. It may be posted on the website.

Another option for one of the most hiked mountains in the state is Flattop. So popular that there is a shuttle to the trail head. 

https://www.hike-anchorage-alaska.com/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ljandiernp said:

If you can comment from your own experiences, please tell me about transportation [in Anchorage]. Can one take public transportation (bus? cab? does Uber exist there??) to locations outside the city?

Anchorage has a fair public transportation system, and it provides good service within many parts of the city itself. You can download a Ride Guide for the Anchorage transit system, known as People Mover, from here: http://www.muni.org/Departments/transit/PeopleMover/Documents/!2021 Service Change/2021 Ride Guide.pdf. It is a good guide that is comprehensive. There is also a suburban transit system, known as Valley Transit, to operates from Anchorage to Wasilla. No ride guide as Anchorage has, but its website provides route and schedule information here http://www.valleytransitak.org. Beyond these two urban transit systems, it can be challenging finding scheduled transportation, particularly just for day trips. There are a handful of intercity transportation services, such as the Alaska Railroad and some intercity bus routes, but many routes operate just once daily, and are oriented towards providing long-distance travel rather than day excursions from Anchorage. Even getting to and from relatively close locations, such as Girdwood (home to the Alyeska ski resort), can be both inconvenient and expensive. In short, if your intentions are to remain in the city itself, you will probably be okay relying on the local transit systems. Or if you're able to schedule day tours that include transportation you should also be okay. But if you're looking to explore independently, outside the city itself, you will be hard-pressed. Another person has suggested renting a car, though that requires both skill and license, which you may or may not possess. If you might consider renting a bicycle, keep in mind that, with respect to electric-assist bicycles ("e-bikes"), the state of Alaska is behind the rest of the country and does require licensure for these types of bicycles (but no license required for regular bicycles).

When in Alaska I usually bike (or walk) the coastal trail. There is a great view of Cook Inlet and some interesting homes along the way. Parts of it are wooded and almost always a Moose ( or two ) will be spotted. Also you pass the airport and can watch planes land and take off. There is a food truck at the park and some restuarants are walkable from there. Makes for an interesting day.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the responses; gives me food for thought. There's no reason for me not to rent a car, just like public transportation so that I can enjoy the scenery rather than have to focus on driving in an area I don't know. We will have 3 or 4 days to explore before we have to return to the east coast. I appreciate any ongoing suggestions and I'm going to look at the boards for guides for the area. Keep the ideas coming, Laurie

You can get by without renting a car in Anchorage but as noted above, it might be pricier and less convenient than a car rental.  For short trips after a cruise, we sometimes don’t rent a car.  We get around downtown Anchorage by Uber or walking.  And we stay downtown and not by the airport. We’ve rented bikes and rode along the coastal trail.

There are a number of opportunities for day trips from Anchorage.  We’ve taken the train to Seward and gone on a Kenai Fjords boat tour.  We also took the train for a Spencer Glacier/Float Trip with Chugach Tours.  We like Salmon Berry Tours—have been on the Matanuska Glacier Trek and the Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine tour.  Nice to have someone else driving! 

• Like 3