First time on Carnival…what are the major differences from RCCL?

SarahD112

7 hours ago, Pellaz said:

We actually opted to skip Chibang for dinner due to lackluster reviews here on Cruise Critic, and I wish we hadn't, just so we could have formed our own impressions.   

As I mentioned, my stir-fry bowl was great...but I'm a Mongolian/hibachi FIEND.  They also have a separate lunch menu there, free/included, aside from the stir-fry bowl option.  Enjoy!   

Just now, NLBarry said:

It is definitely our favorite.  We did it twice on the Magic and I did Guys twice too.   I did not even get a chance to try everything I normally do, like the sandwiches.

The lunch choices are definitely one of the places CCL wins.

Out of Galveston especially there are differences. 

Drink pkg on carnival starts day 2, does not include private islands, and is limited. I've also read didnt include last morning of debark. 

Rcl drink pkg starts right away, not limited, and includes coco cay and labadee. Even my 5 free drinks I can get on private islands. 

Carnival I get priority debark, rcl doesnt have it unless you buy the key or suite. Tender priority too on carnival. 

Nothing huge, but I notice. Carnival pay restaurants more reasonable $$. 

Carnival the free sandwich choices are good. The sandwiches on rcl in Mdr imo the bun is always soggy. I like lunch on carnival.  I like the white pizza on carnival.  

Edited by firefly333

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Nothing huge, but I notice. Carnival pay restaurants more reasonable $$. 

I noticed this in February when I sailed on RCI.  Their Italian specialty restaurant was $30+.   Carnival's (Cucina del Capitano) is $15.   

Steakhouse prices are closer together nowadays, but Carnival is still a bit less expensive.  

5 hours ago, Pellaz said:

I noticed this in February when I sailed on RCI.  Their Italian specialty restaurant was $30+.   Carnival's (Cucina del Capitano) is $15.   

Steakhouse prices are closer together nowadays, but Carnival is still a bit less expensive.  

It's not black and white, but overall it's nice to have a fixed price. I get BOGO as diamond plus so pay for one get one free. Half price. I've been offered deals once onboard rcl, mexican for $18 a person offered to my Mdr table. Sales pre boarding. I booked a lunch at Giovanni for $20.04 and they have the filet or garlicky shrimp on the lunch menu. March 12. 

Carnival doesnt do big sales and pre boarding sales or offer bogo every cruise. So it's not apples to apples just overall I wish rcl had the same value as carnival for speciality.. I'd do carnival specialty before rcl. Rcl doesnt offer surf and turf either at chops. Maine lobster is extra. Just the filet now. 

Carnival gets my vote for this. 

I happened to look at my dream jan 13 2024 and I realize it was offered cheap to a lot of gamblers, but OVs sold out and suites sold out. Nothing you can see out anymore for a reasonable price. 

• Like 1

We sleep around quite a bit... so here are my personal opinions/observations in no particular order. While your opinions may vary, that is ok too.

1) Shows/Entertainment - RC

2) Live Music - Carnival

3) General stuff to do (Bingo, misc activities, etc.) - Carnival

4) Overall food quality - RC

5) Buffet - RC

6) Pizza - RC (and much faster than Carnival)

7) Food Options - Generally RC but with the Mardi Gras and Celebration, may give this one a tie

😎 Pool parties and pool activities/events - Carnival

9) Cruise Directors - Carnival

10) Innovative Ships - RC

11) Price - Carnival

12) Private Island - RC w/ CoCoCay

13) Excursions - RC

14) Variety of different room types - RC (though Carnival has stepped their game up some on Mardi Gras)

15) Onboard shopping - Tie

16) Loyalty Program - RC

17) Itineraries - Tie

I think that covers a lot, but I am sure I am missing something. We actually made a comparison a while back and both my wife and I agreed to mostly everything.

At the end of the day, there is no "Perfect" cruise line. They all have their specialties and strengths/weaknesses. It's about choosing what is right for YOU and YOUR FAMILY, or whomever you travel with. And while I think one thing is better on RC, someone else may feel Carnival is better. That is ok too... that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream, or even Neapolitan. 🙂

• Like 3

On 2/28/2023 at 6:16 AM, Rudyard said:

I booked a cruise on Allure for this September. We wanted an itinerary that included Roatan and it was actually cheaper than the same dates on Vista by about $200pp. Now I'm in the planning stages and am noticing how much more expensive the onboard experience is on Royal. Not complaining and it's not a deal breaker, but there was some initial sticker shock. Especially the price for specialty restaurants and internet. On the other hand I am looking forward to the wider variety of specialty restaurants (we're doing the 3 meal plan to offset the cost of the more expensive ones) and the shows, especially Mama Mia. 

We are doing Quantum of the Seas in May and sticker shock is a good description. Everything is more expensive, specialty restaurants, excursions, internet, drink packages, etc. We wanted a bigger nicer ship when visiting Alaska and Carnival just had small ships going there. But like you the extra cost isn’t a deal breaker for us either. And we did the 3 meal plan too. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 10:38 AM, Cayman1 said:

We sleep around quite a bit... so here are my personal opinions/observations in no particular order. While your opinions may vary, that is ok too.

2) Live Music - Carnival

5) Buffet - RC

7) Food Options - Generally RC but with the Mardi Gras and Celebration, may give this one a tie

11) Price - Carnival

13) Excursions - RC

14) Variety of different room types - RC (though Carnival has stepped their game up some on Mardi Gras)

16) Loyalty Program - RC

17) Itineraries - Tie

I think that covers a lot, but I am sure I am missing something. We actually made a comparison a while back and both my wife and I agreed to mostly everything.

At the end of the day, there is no "Perfect" cruise line. They all have their specialties and strengths/weaknesses. It's about choosing what is right for YOU and YOUR FAMILY, or whomever you travel with. And while I think one thing is better on RC, someone else may feel Carnival is better. That is ok too... that's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream, or even Neapolitan. 🙂

We have sailed both and have upcoming reservations on both. Completely agree with this assessment!

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 7:16 AM, Rudyard said:

I booked a cruise on Allure for this September. We wanted an itinerary that included Roatan and it was actually cheaper than the same dates on Vista by about $200pp. Now I'm in the planning stages and am noticing how much more expensive the onboard experience is on Royal. Not complaining and it's not a deal breaker, but there was some initial sticker shock. Especially the price for specialty restaurants and internet. On the other hand I am looking forward to the wider variety of specialty restaurants (we're doing the 3 meal plan to offset the cost of the more expensive ones) and the shows, especially Mama Mia. 

Look for sales near the major holidays.  Unlike Carnival, Royal has dynamic pricing and you can sometimes catch a deal on the dining packages, drink package, Wi-Fi, and excursions.  Loved Allure and Mama Mia.  Also enjoyed the Jazz Club.  We booked the late Speakeasy and it was also fun, with many drinks included.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:38 AM, Cayman1 said:

2) Live Music - Carnival

5) Buffet - RC

11) Price - Carnival

13) Excursions - RC

16) Loyalty Program - RC

17) Itineraries - Tie

This is a great checklist.  We sailed on Vision of the Seas this past December.  It was a terrific 11 day Southern Caribbean itinerary.  All 6 ports were first time for us including Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia and ABC.  No complaints about the vacation and we knew going in that the Vision is an older ship.  Our cabin and the ship were fine.  However...

...the quality and selection in the Lido (Windjammer) buffet was poor for both breakfast and dinner.  I would rank the casual dining free food options as better on Carnival.  This would include the Lido, Pizza, Burgers, Mexican, Sandwich Deli, and stir-fry (for ships that have this).

As others have shared differences can come down to which ship you are on.

Cheers to all of the posters on this thread for keeping it real.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SF Cfan said:

This is a great checklist.  We sailed on Vision of the Seas this past December.  It was a terrific 11 day Southern Caribbean itinerary.  All 6 ports were first time for us including Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia and ABC.  No complaints about the vacation and we knew going in that the Vision is an older ship.  Our cabin and the ship were fine.  However...

...the quality and selection in the Lido (Windjammer) buffet was poor for both breakfast and dinner.  I would rank the casual dining free food options as better on Carnival.  This would include the Lido, Pizza, Burgers, Mexican, Sandwich Deli, and stir-fry (for ships that have this).

As others have shared differences can come down to which ship you are on.

Cheers to all of the posters on this thread for keeping it real.

Well vision as you said was older so less food choices. I did grandeur last may, pushing for pts. It was a one and done, I'm a fan of big ships with more food.

I find that before the cruise rcl sales win. I got 2 excursions for march 27 10 day on radiance for 35% off. Old town in Columbia for 27.99 ..I cant take a taxi for that. Other to see locks. I booked Giovanni for lunch march 12 oasis, with taxes $20.04. Pizza day one day price. They had the filet for lunch I'm looking forward to. I get bogo on specialty restaurants. .. so it's really dynamic pricing on rcl vs almost no sales on carnival but better price once onboard. 

Because of pushing prices I get diamond plus and solo discount. And my ta has refundable group lower prices. I sure wish carnival was as low price. Rcl wins big for prices. What is in my signature of course carnival is the highest, 14 days, but I'm in about 1k for 10 days, even harmony 8 days to coco cay. Miracle is at least $500 more. Eeek. Both allure this sept in a inside balcony are under $700, so under $100 a day. Nothing on carnival out of texas is under $100 a day. 

I think carnival wins for pizza. Yes it takes longer because it's made from scratch,  not just toppings added. I love the white pizza on carnival. Really enjoy lobster rolls on carnival. Nice dinner. .. just their cruise prices too high.