Transfer from ship in Southampton

MAJ

We are disembarking Celebrity Silhouette and then joining P&O Iona . Is it possible to walk or do I need a taxi?

I know we will have a good few hours to wait but don’t really want to go into Southampton with luggage 

Any suggestions really appreciated 

A lot will depend which terminals are involved.

The only ones that it would be practical to walk with luggage would be Ocean and QEll.

The bigger problem will be "killing time" - you will be off one ship around 09:00 and, at best, not able to check in for the other until at least 12:00 and I am not aware of anywhere where you can leave your luggage. Maybe try asking somewhere like the Holiday Inn if they would look after your luggage for a few hours.

Chances are that you will be at City Terminal on Silhouette and Ocean Terminal for Iona. That is quite a long walk with luggage but only a few minutes in a taxi.

Following on from david63's comments, the Holiday Inn is walkable from City Terminal, so yes, you could kill time there as long as you buy some refreshments from them...

The Leonardo Royal Grand Harbour Hotel (adjacent to the Holiday Inn) used to offer a "Cruise Lounge" where you paid a one-off fee per person and were provided with refreshments etc. Might be worth checking if they still do that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

Chances are that you will be at City Terminal on Silhouette and Ocean Terminal for Iona. That is quite a long walk with luggage but only a few minutes in a taxi.

Following on from david63's comments, the Holiday Inn is walkable from City Terminal, so yes, you could kill time there as long as you buy some refreshments from them...

However, Holiday Inn Reception area can be very crowded with people waiting for taxis to ships. Have had trouble finding somewhere to sit at times after checking out at 11. Might be better to ask for latest disembarkation time from Celebrity and go straight to Iona terminal. 

16 hours ago, david63 said:

But that could entail "hanging around" outside the terminal for the best part of two hours or more.

You could take a leaf out of Otis's book and just sit, watching the tide roll away.😉😄

I'll get me coat!🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 2/26/2023 at 7:44 PM, david63 said:

But that could entail "hanging around" outside the terminal for the best part of two hours or more.

City terminal, which Celebrity use, has a very pleasant waiting room just outside the baggage reclaim exit. So latest disembarkation slot, then take your time collecting the luggage followed by an hour or so reading the paper, then a taxi to Ocean terminal, job done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

City terminal, which Celebrity use, has a very pleasant waiting room just outside the baggage reclaim exit. So latest disembarkation slot, then take your time collecting the luggage followed by an hour or so reading the paper, then a taxi to Ocean terminal, job done.

More or less what I said.

I've done this from Ocean Terminal to City Cruise Terminal last October. I disembarked Ventura at Ocean and joined QM2 at City. I got a taxi and waited for inbound luggage to open. I waited in the terminal and around 11.30am they opened for inbound luggage. I gave them my suitcase then took a quick stroll into Southampton to top up my Pepsi supplies. Easy. 

22 minutes ago, Meka3256 said:

Hotels will often have day rates.  It's not advertised on their website, but if you contact them directly you can book a room for a day.

Not sure if that applies to the "budget" end of the market. 

The weather on the day is a big deciding factor for us . We left City Terminal at last call  and walked to Ocean terminal last year via the Starbucks across from the Red funnel ferry office . It was a beautiful day and sat for a while with a coffee  . By the time we got to Ocean terminal check in was open . 

4 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

The weather on the day is a big deciding factor for us . We left City Terminal at last call  and walked to Ocean terminal last year via the Starbucks across from the Red funnel ferry office . It was a beautiful day and sat for a while with a coffee  . By the time we got to Ocean terminal check in was open . 

But doesn't it also depend on how much luggage you have . Could you do it with four suitcases and two carry on bags ?

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

But doesn't it also depend on how much luggage you have . Could you do it with four suitcases and two carry on bags ?

😆,  you obviously take everything to cover all eventualities including the kitchen sink 😆 😆 🤣.  

No, we only ever have one case each plus a carry on , never overpack.