Flight options from Toronto/Montreal/Ottawa to Athens advice please

Polos12

Hi, We have party of 6 booked a cruise from Athens (Piraeus) in May. Exploring cost-effective options from any of YOW/yul/YYZ airports with a reasonable price/duration/stops. I would like some advice on flight route, specific airlines to avoid and if we should select hotel close to port or Athens city center, for embarkation/disembarkation. I did some research and flights are above $1800 except few of them with bad connection/long layovers. 2ndly would like to know if anyone knows a good excursion company to book 1 or 1/2 days tours in Santorini, Mykonos.

Thanks and your precious pointers will be much appreciated!

not know when and where you are flying out of you it is hard to say if $1800 is a lot

Try google.ca/flights 

try Airbnb for a place 

We stayed here one time 

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/17342908?adults=5&checkin=&checkout=&children=0&infants=0&pets=0&wishlist_item_id=1437299091&source_impression_id=p3_1677441816_srBCohNwXNDI%2FG7T

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

not know when and where you are flying out of you it is hard to say if $1800 is a lot

Try google.ca/flights 

try Airbnb for a place 

We stayed here one time 

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/17342908?adults=5&checkin=&checkout=&children=0&infants=0&pets=0&wishlist_item_id=1437299091&source_impression_id=p3_1677441816_srBCohNwXNDI%2FG7T

Thanks for airbnb - the issue is most flights (with good price) on May 14 /15 departs around 5:00AM - so either we come early/late at airport (11pm) and stick around or leave from hotel/airbnb at 2AM (not sure if taxi/uber is possible at that time..? 🙂

if you give the exact  itinerary  departure dates   & cities  it would be more helpful to help you

Try ITA matrix to search for flights that may work for you

I am not seeing any cheap flight to Europe this year   so you will need to make choices  either pay the price or  get up in the night  to get to the airport

If you are trying to book 6 seats on one booking you may be getting higher prices  try to price  2  & see what happens

Good luck

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

if you give the exact  itinerary  departure dates   & cities  it would be more helpful to help you

Try ITA matrix to search for flights that may work for you

I am not seeing any cheap flight to Europe this year   so you will need to make choices  either pay the price or  get up in the night  to get to the airport

If you are trying to book 6 seats on one booking you may be getting higher prices  try to price  2  & see what happens

Good luck

Thanks; I have the option of leaving on May 2/3 and return on May 15 from YOW-ATH; or YUL-ATH. I found a great hotel next to airport upon return (so that problem is solved :). I tried going to Rome and use small airlines to get to ATH but cost is not that much. Where do you nornmally book your ticket from when many airlines/combination are involved. Should I book individual depart tickets and return (not complete return with one). We used exp* 10+ years ago on europe trip but exp** as 3rd party european agents were not helpful

4 hours ago, Polos12 said:

Thanks; I have the option of leaving on May 2/3 and return on May 15 from YOW-ATH; or YUL-ATH. I found a great hotel next to airport upon return (so that problem is solved :). I tried going to Rome and use small airlines to get to ATH but cost is not that much. Where do you nornmally book your ticket from when many airlines/combination are involved. Should I book individual depart tickets and return (not complete return with one). We used exp* 10+ years ago on europe trip but exp** as 3rd party european agents were not helpful

I would book all on one ticket

We usually book with AC KLM or BA  depends on where you are going  & the price

You could do AC  Yow to ATH  connection in YYZ or YUL for about $2000

for more $ YUL ATH  nonstop  flights are  later in the morning so no need to get up  so early

Check AC  site 

• Like 1

Have you looked at the cruiseline air prices?

I stayed at Athens Gate pre cruise, has a restaurant and close to Hop On Hop Off bus.

I used Welcome Pickups www.welcomepickups.com a private car service from Athens airport to hotel and the next day hotel to port.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

With Westjet no longer flying to Gatwick from Eastern Canada , and you are to early for Air Transat flights , it is more expensive 

Have you check with the cruiseline for there air packages 

E3317A8F-4DC7-491F-8250-40A4BDFC7493.png

Thanks yes i did; their prices were not that cheap but lot of uncertaintly of number of stops and last moment (2days earlier only). What I read so far that they made bad connections sometimes and didnot confirm until last moment. Doing my way I can add 3 days before to sight seeing in ATH before cruising.

4 hours ago, phabric said:

Have you looked at the cruiseline air prices?

I stayed at Athens Gate pre cruise, has a restaurant and close to Hop On Hop Off bus.

I used Welcome Pickups www.welcomepickups.com a private car service from Athens airport to hotel and the next day hotel to port.

Thanks - looks good; will do 🙂 Is it easy to goto city center (metro train?) to do sight seeing as we are staying 2-3 days before. So you used welcomepickups to go the Pireaus port - is the price/service reasonable. Best regards!

37 minutes ago, Polos12 said:

Thanks - looks good; will do 🙂 Is it easy to goto city center (metro train?) to do sight seeing as we are staying 2-3 days before. So you used welcomepickups to go the Pireaus port - is the price/service reasonable. Best regards!

I forget the price as in was 2019, paid Euro in advance.  It was the convenience of being met at airport after a long flight from Toronto and met at the hotel to port.  Price is per car not per person.  Both times the driver was waiting for us, clean cars, spoke English.

We only stayed the night before the cruise and used the HOHO bus after checking in the hotel.

The roads everywhere had heavy traffic even the HOHO took a long time going.

I had booked through Princess EzAir - Air Canada - YYZ-ATH non stop in 2019.

Always fly minimum one day in advance to get over the jet lag and depending on the time of your return another day after the cruise.

Check out Ports of Call - for tours suggestions.

• Like 2

Does anyone has experience with EMIRATES connection from newark....does it get delayed or how is staff of emirates finding alternate flights, customer service (800), check-in assists...just wanted to know in case the flight is cancelled (since they they only fly /day). I plan to leave 2 days before - is it enough risk management to not miss cruise.. 

ii) should we book straight on emirates or go through agent - any pros/cons?

Thanks in advance!

57 minutes ago, Polos12 said:

Does anyone has experience with EMIRATES connection from newark....does it get delayed or how is staff of emirates finding alternate flights, customer service (800), check-in assists...just wanted to know in case the flight is cancelled (since they they only fly /day). I plan to leave 2 days before - is it enough risk management to not miss cruise.. 

ii) should we book straight on emirates or go through agent - any pros/cons?

Thanks in advance!

It is rated the best economy section in the world 

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviation/the-best-airlines-of-2022-emirates-ranked-worlds-best-economy-class-airline-1.1664167898580

You should definitely be using a travel agent for your flights to Athens as they will be able to do the research for you. They’ll charge you a service fee but in the long run it will be worth it. If there are any delays you can contact them.

Edited by Travelexpert35

@Polos12

Are you on Oceania for this  cruise ?

You can now fly in up to  3 days early & stay up to 3 days after  the cruise no extra charge  with O air 

if you trust them to pick the flights for you 

I am guessing you opted out of the  air  with them so maybe check what it would cost to add it back on now ?

Just give the gateway that suits you best   they use YYZ YUL & YOW 

JMO

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 11:49 AM, Polos12 said:

Hi, We have party of 6 booked a cruise from Athens (Piraeus) in May. Exploring cost-effective options from any of YOW/yul/YYZ airports 

So out of those those airports which is your preference?  Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto.

I would keep everything on one ticket.  When you do that if there is a delay the airline is responsible for rebooking at their cost.

If your in Ottawa the first leg is going to be Air Canada, WestJet or the Air France bus to Montreal.  In the summer Air France is also going direct.

I would avoid connecting through the US.  You can do it but it is a pain if you have checked baggage.

9 hours ago, em-sk said:

So out of those those airports which is your preference?  Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto.

I would keep everything on one ticket.  When you do that if there is a delay the airline is responsible for rebooking at their cost.

If your in Ottawa the first leg is going to be Air Canada, WestJet or the Air France bus to Montreal.  In the summer Air France is also going direct.

I would avoid connecting through the US.  You can do it but it is a pain if you have checked baggage.

I dont think there is much option from YOW, so next will be YUL. One ticket you mean, deal with only one airline all the way (AC or AF or Emirates or Delta) and not combination of AC/EMI, AC/Luft? or you mean one booking reference# so I dont have check-in each leg/segment. No Westjet and AF bus is very expensive now :). I think baggage will be checked through to ATH. Thanks

17 hours ago, LHT28 said:

@Polos12

Are you on Oceania for this  cruise ?

You can now fly in up to  3 days early & stay up to 3 days after  the cruise no extra charge  with O air 

if you trust them to pick the flights for you 

I am guessing you opted out of the  air  with them so maybe check what it would cost to add it back on now ?

Just give the gateway that suits you best   they use YYZ YUL & YOW 

JMO

No, its NCL. Thx

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I saw that and heard however trying to reach their contact/customer number from last 2 days - they just play a VM msg and hang-up! thats horrible - no call back option; no wait...what if I need to reach them for anything...? Chat folks cant do much other than scripted messages 🙂

On 3/3/2023 at 8:14 AM, Polos12 said:

I dont think there is much option from YOW, so next will be YUL. One ticket you mean, deal with only one airline all the way (AC or AF or Emirates or Delta) and not combination of AC/EMI, AC/Luft? or you mean one booking reference# so I dont have check-in each leg/segment. No Westjet and AF bus is very expensive now :). I think baggage will be checked through to ATH. Thanks

If it is all on one ticket that means there is a single airline that issued the ticket.  The ticket can include flights operated by other airlines, that is not a problem.  When it is all on one ticket the airline the issued the ticket is responsible for getting you to your end destination.

AC, Lufthansa Group and United operate as a joint venture between North America and Europe.  Not a big deal if you mix and match them.

If it is on one ticket it is checked through.   If you buy two separate tickets than it is not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Postcards said:

However as Oceania and NCL, same company,,,

Not exactly

That would be like  say Carnival & Princess/HAL  are the  same company

They are under the  same corporate umbrella  but  do manage their companies  as a separate entity