Cancelled flight compensation

Briguy071

I recently returned from a Celebrity Caribbean cruise.  Our WestJet flight on Feb 18 to San Juan was cancelled due to mechanical problems.  We booked Celebrity Air so they were able to get us to the second port(st.Thomas).  Although, Celebrity Air fulfilled their obligation by getting us to the ship we missed dinner and drinks night 1 and missed breakfast and drinks the morning of day 2.  We are new to cruising so im interested to get advice if anything else can be done.  We booked a second cruise for 2025 while onboard and even inquired about getting an upgrade because of our loss day but that went on deaf ears.  I filled our the online survey and gave excellent review but did score them low on a few things relating to our  loss day.  I message Celebrity through social media and all they would offer us as a good well gesture was $100 cruise credit each for future cruise.  I haven't accepted that offer yet.  

Any advice?

They would have no control over the WestJet cancelations, maybe you should be looking for credits from WestJet rather than Celebrity? I would also suggest reading over the fine print for your Flight booking and/or Insurance to see if you are eligible for any compensation. If you don't find anything, be happy with the $100 credit.

• Like 6

Mechanical issues are, I think, within the control of the airlines.  You should look under the Air Passenger Rights to see if you can claim expenses through that if WestJet or your insurance doesn’t help. 

I agree with the above poster. 

My experience with Celebrity is to take their offer, there will be no other offers.  Booking through Celebrity Air, their guarantee is to get you to the ship which you acknowledge they did. There’s no more to it, cruise is over.  There was nothing more for Celebrity to do than to get you to the ship.

Consider the financial impact if you had not booked Celebrity Air. It 

Your issue is with Westjet.  You may try filing a claim with Westjet for a delayed arrival, $1,000 per person.   I think you would need your Westjet booking/locator number to start.  Don’t let Westjet weasel out of a claim by telling you their mechanical issues are safety related when they are actually maintenance issues.

Sounds to me you had a good cruise, you booked another one.  Time to think of the memories and move on.

• Like 2

Because you booked with Celebrity Air, they assumed the additional cost of flying you on to St. Thomas. That fulfills their obligation to you, as you have acknowledged. Accept the goodwill offer from Celebrity and pursue further compensation from WestJet or your travel insurance company.

It appears that you chose to fly in on the day of your cruise departure, never a good decision, particularly during a Canadian winter. Your experience is an excellent example of what can go wrong.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Briguy071 said:

I recently returned from a Celebrity Caribbean cruise.  Our WestJet flight on Feb 18 to San Juan was cancelled due to mechanical problems.  We booked Celebrity Air so they were able to get us to the second port(st.Thomas).  Although, Celebrity Air fulfilled their obligation by getting us to the ship we missed dinner and drinks night 1 and missed breakfast and drinks the morning of day 2.  We are new to cruising so im interested to get advice if anything else can be done.  We booked a second cruise for 2025 while onboard and even inquired about getting an upgrade because of our loss day but that went on deaf ears.  I filled our the online survey and gave excellent review but did score them low on a few things relating to our  loss day.  I message Celebrity through social media and all they would offer us as a good well gesture was $100 cruise credit each for future cruise.  I haven't accepted that offer yet.  

Any advice?

Since the cancellation was for something related to safety I don't believe you are entitled to any compensation from the airline. https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/air-passenger-protection-regulations-highlights

Not sure why you expect any compensation from the cruise line. Missing all or part of a voyage does not entitle a passenger to compensation. Check the cruise contract.

I'd be embarrassed to seek compensation from a cruise line for something entirely outside its control. 

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Since the cancellation was for something related to safety I don't believe you are entitled to any compensation from the airline. https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/air-passenger-protection-regulations-highlights

Not sure why you expect any compensation from the cruise line. Missing all or part of a voyage does not entitle a passenger to compensation. Check the cruise contract.

I'd be embarrassed to seek compensation from a cruise line for something entirely outside its control. 

I was simply posing the question in this forum.  Thanks for your input

2 hours ago, ken_ll said:

My experience with Celebrity is to take their offer, there will be no other offers.  Booking through Celebrity Air, their guarantee is to get you to the ship which you acknowledge they did. There’s no more to it, cruise is over.  There was nothing more for Celebrity to do than to get you to the ship.

Consider the financial impact if you had not booked Celebrity Air. It 

Your issue is with Westjet.  You may try filing a claim with Westjet for a delayed arrival, $1,000 per person.   I think you would need your Westjet booking/locator number to start.  Don’t let Westjet weasel out of a claim by telling you their mechanical issues are safety related when they are actually maintenance issues.

Sounds to me you had a good cruise, you booked another one.  Time to think of the memories and move on.

Thank you for your advice.  I filed the claim with WestJet.  See what happens.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Because you booked with Celebrity Air, they assumed the additional cost of flying you on to St. Thomas. That fulfills their obligation to you, as you have acknowledged. Accept the goodwill offer from Celebrity and pursue further compensation from WestJet or your travel insurance company.

It appears that you chose to fly in on the day of your cruise departure, never a good decision, particularly during a Canadian winter. Your experience is an excellent example of what can go wrong.

I agree.  There were no direct flights except for day of but I will travelling a few days ahead next time.

• Like 2

Strongly disagree! If you get Covid they quarantine you, but still give you food and alcohol and then reimburse you the total amount for every day in quarantine! So if they are responsible for your flight they should reimburse you for missed days.

I would contact and ask to speak to supervisor and use the Covid analogy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Briguy071 said:

I agree.  There were no direct flights except for day of but I will travelling a few days ahead next time.

It's a tough thing to go through and I understand your frustration and disappointment.

We fly in the day before and if at all possible, I book flights so we land earlier in the day.

I book a lot of travel for work and one of my rules is to never book the last flight or the last connection of the day (if it's cancelled, there's no later option). In the summer, I avoid mid-afternoon and early evening connections in Dallas and Atlanta because of the risk of thunderstorms. I am probably overly careful but there's nothing worse than being delayed when you're starting a vacation! 

• Like 1