Here we go again. AB booking HC cabins.

Umbarger

The accessible cabins are wheelchair friendly.. at least on the Voyager class of RCCL. Doors are ramped ever so gradually so you can smoothly flow over doorways... even the balconies are ramped. For the cabin door and bathroom door you'd never know they have lips normally if you only have accessible cabin experience.

It is by far better on the newer classes of ships. My first ship was the RCCL Sovereign of the Seas which is older and the Voyager class is much more accessible.

I am disabled.

I walk with a cane most of the time.

I have a HC sticker for my car and I use it.

I would never think about booking a HC room on a ship.

Why would I want a lower bathroom sink if I was not in a wheelchair?

Why would I want a higher toilet if I did not need it?

Why would I want lower hanging bars in the closet?

My back hurts enough as it is why would I want to have to stoop to the sink, toilet and closet if I did not have to?

If there was an emergency I would not want the crew rushing to your HC room, where an able bodied person is staying and missing that other wheelchair bound or crutch using person who is stranded in their non HC room because they are not in their chair because the chair does not fit in the room!

Bottom line: If you are not handicapped DONT book a handicapped room!

It makes me want to book their ship and request' date=' no demand their room! I haven't been much help this time been having problems with the old blood pressure and it sure does go high with these morons.:mad:[/quote']

You and me both. It just makes me see RED. :mad: I am battle weary and most of the people on the cruise crictic board probably hate me. Maybe I should lay low for a while. :confused:

There are many people out there who do not use mobility aids but need the space and accessibility of HC cabins. Some people can't manage the step in or out of the bathroom let alone the shower/bath. Some people need assistance getting in and out of bed. Try helping someone out of bed in 2 feet of space. People with balance issues can fall at the best of times let alone on a rocking ship. Try lifting a 200 lb person off the ground when there's no room to maneuver. Some people can't bend their knees when walking making it very hard to get through narrow doors and hallways.

In no way am I minimizing the needs of people in WC's but please realize that there are other disabilities that require the same space.

Happy sailing

I have neuropathy of both legs and hands. When I walk I look like an alien having to lock my knees to get them to walk. My balance is like tht of a very drunk person. I don't really understand your post. Not sure about other cruise lines but carnival outside rooms have way more than 2 feet by their beds when seperate..nto sure about when they are joined. I like narrow doorways myself as I use the doorjams and walls to help balance myself. I use a wheelchair for long distance but short distance i use a heavy sturdy cane. I refused a HC room because of ppl much more in need than me. Is there a fold up shower chair that can be rented/bought so that your hubby can sit safely in the shower? I'm small so my husband can hang onto me so that is a definate difference in our situations. It does sadden me of the abled disregard of the disabled. Long before I was disabled I had always been helpful to ppl whether handicapped or feeble for any reason..but then I was also a nurse who had seen what these ppl go thro so guess that makes a difference. I commented in that other thread but gave up. Its very obvious and was even stated..first come first serve by this board (not this thread but the general type). I am seriously thinking of leaving this board after just having joined it. I realize you will come across all types..but I am still dealing with the enourmous ego bash of my whole life changing from active full time nurse, wife, mother down to someone who basically is excess baggage. My family is wonderful but even though it has been 3 yrs now, I still feel so useless. Our society doesn't help but then again..for women if you arent under 30..thin as a pencil..you are less of a valued person anyway so disabled..filed even farther down society chain. Anyway, I give up. Time will educate them when they get old and the normal aches pains feebleness often coming with age. I can just hope their behavior comes to mind when they get the same treatment..because as we all know..it will come unfortunately.

I posted last night shortly after the thread came on the board. It appeared at that time that the OP was genuinely concerned about being put in a wheelchair accessible stateroom, but based on the OPs subsequent response, they really don't. I'm not even sure why the OP posted, unless it was to get other people's comments to help to assuage feelings of guilt.

What really disturbs me is if Travelocity is really showing these in the general inventory, then anyone can book them. The Crown is the first of the Grand Class ships to have any wheelchair accessible minisuites--you can't get any higher category than a balcony on the other Grand class ships. Perhaps we should all call Princess and complain/draw this to their attention that these staterooms are in the general inventory and not being held per the Princess policy. What might really help is that if someone who is a TA or has a good relationship with a TA could get some of those district/regional managers to call about this. Anyone else have any suggestions?

If the HC suite is the LAST minisuite available, why should the person feel guilty for taking that. If they can get something better for the same price, then fine, they should give it up.

I don't think the "Able bodied person" should be refused a minisuite just becasue the are not handicapped.

If the disabled person did not book intime to get the HC minisute, then they should take a standard HC room. Just like if I am too late to book a Minisute or balcony or what ever, then I should be happy with a standard.

Listen up Kinggartk! IF YOU ARE NOT HANDICAPPED, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO A HC CABIN. Is that plain enough for you??? Now my suggestion is that if you want a HC cabin so-o-o badly, go out and get yourself a good old case of rheumatoid arthritis and then while you are fighting the pain each and every minute of your life, call and book that handicapped cabin. Otherwise...have some compassion (ha!) and grow up. I love the way you try to make is sound like it's perfectly ok for you to do that by saying "if the disabled person did not book in time to get the HC minisute, then they should take a standard HC room". Apparently you have no clue that there are so very few handicapped cabins at all that those of us who truly need them sometimes have to wait months and months before we can find a HC available. My hubby is handicapped and we have been trying for a year to book an Alaskan cruise but to no avail....no HC cabins...all booked up. Hey, I get it...maybe you or someone with your mentality has already booked them. After all, to *$ with the poor schmuck who can't walk. It's not my problem. Is that how you feel kinggartk? God help us all.

Some able bodied people just don't care...but again these are probably the same ppl that don't care about anyone but themselves anyway. If you try to explain why its important..then you are accused of whining or feeling sorry for yourself in a pool of self pity. These are same ppl who probably raise heck if their waitress isn't at their elbow the minute their coffee is empty.

I truely do not feel sorry for myself and am quite sure most of you don't either. If we did, we would be wanting to sit at home rolling in self pity. Instead, we push to do things that ARE difficult for us. Going anywhere is a HUGE difficulty for many of us. When there are only 5 HC rooms...you would have to book well over a year to be assurred a room. Yet able bodied ppl can wait until almost a month before cruise to get a room. So maybe they don't get teh Lido deck..how big of a hardship would that be for them?? A bit of disappointment but they can still go on a cruise..the HC can not. Myself, I don't need the HC room and turned it down so that it was left open ( I thought) by someone who needed it.

I think we need to get AARP to petition for the cruise lines to demand a form from clients doctors explaining the need for HC facility..if not sold then they can use that room as one of the dirt cheap fares or offer as upgrade from an inner cabin. I think tho I am going to check at a medical supply for a fold up shower chair for myself. I was reading it on another thread. It would be nice if my hubby didnt have to hang onto me in the shower but then gives him a reason to shower with me lol. Anyway, there are organizations out there that would help us get the cruise lines themselves to be more disabled aware along with TA's at other companies. Maybe fine any TA that gives the room to someone without the medical proof of disability that requires handicap room type facilities.

Until they give the local police the fines for wrongful handicap parking (another big pet peeve of mine) and enlarge the fines (here in ms its only 200 dollars and that goes to the state..not the local sooo guess what..no one is fined), wrongful HC parking will continue. All of it is long fights but we can do it I'm sure :D

Sashalanda, I don't know which lines you have cruised but Princess has shower chairs. The first time I got one the steward (Maria from Mexico) very hesitantly offered me one. I think she was afraid I would be insulted. It was a godsend. Ever since then I have asked the steward for one as soon as we board. I am also a nurse, now not working, due to after effects of 3 knee replacements and post encephalitis. I also walk like the drunken sailor. I use a rolling walker to get around. I want to "buck you up". You are not worthless because you are not working. When you listen to a neighbor, tell a friend how to bandage their child's scraped knee etc. you are using your education. Even though you and I are not working we will be nurses until the day we die. I also don't reserve the handicapped rooms, although that may be in the future, for now I can still do the step into the bathroom and use the shower with the help of that chair.

Sashalanda, I don't know which lines you have cruised but Princess has shower chairs. The first time I got one the steward (Maria from Mexico) very hesitantly offered me one. I think she was afraid I would be insulted. It was a godsend. Ever since then I have asked the steward for one as soon as we board. I am also a nurse, now not working, due to after effects of 3 knee replacements and post encephalitis. I also walk like the drunken sailor. I use a rolling walker to get around. I want to "buck you up". You are not worthless because you are not working. When you listen to a neighbor, tell a friend how to bandage their child's scraped knee etc. you are using your education. Even though you and I are not working we will be nurses until the day we die. I also don't reserve the handicapped rooms, although that may be in the future, for now I can still do the step into the bathroom and use the shower with the help of that chair.

TY! I am taking carnival..which I have heard they try very hard to help HC as much as possible so could be they do. I will call and find out. I never thought about them carrying them :). I hope someday we are on a cruise together...we would fit right in late at night lol. Ty for the kind words. Its true I get a lot of calls..and i get asked tons when I play my online game star war galaxies. There ppl all over the world use my experience and just my shoulder to lean on. I do so miss my patients though. My favorite part of working was the back rubs. There was nothing like the natural high I would get from giving someone a warm lotion backrub that had been in pain, that fell asleep right under my hands or turned those grateful eyes in my direction..just nothing compares to that. Guess atleast I have all those 27 yrs of memories :)

Sashalanda, please don’t feel useless because of your disability. As long as you still have love and compassion to offer (and I’m reading here that you do) you are already much more useful than man people. I’m sure your husband, family and friends would be lost without your kind heart.

You mention that you do not understand one of my earlier posts. All I am saying that different people have different needs and nobody should judge without knowing all the facts. My husband hates admitting that he is disabled and would be the last person to take a HC cabin from someone else but he knows that he needs it. We have compared cabins within the exact category on both Princess and Celebrity and he could definitely not get around safely. Without going into personal details, the standard mobility and bathroom aids don’t work for him and, as a person with major health issues myself, I can’t help him in the way that your husband can help you.

Happy sailing.

If the HC suite is the LAST minisuite available, why should the person feel guilty for taking that. If they can get something better for the same price, then fine, they should give it up.

I don't think the "Able bodied person" should be refused a minisuite just becasue the are not handicapped.

If the disabled person did not book intime to get the HC minisute, then they should take a standard HC room. Just like if I am too late to book a Minisute or balcony or what ever, then I should be happy with a standard.

You Are Absolutely Clueless, Lady.

Now my suggestion is that if you want a HC cabin so-o-o badly, go out and get yourself a good old case of rheumatoid arthritis and then while you are fighting the pain each and every minute of your life, call and book that handicapped cabin.

That's how I feel too. If AB people realized how much HC people go through every day of their lives...they wouldn't want to book a HC cabin or park in HC spots. The extra space in a HC cabin is nice for an AB person, but necessary for a HC person - and yet, you know what? Even if it was just nice for HC people too, I would still want to give it to an HC person because they suffer enough on a daily basis that they are entitled to something nice like some extra room! It's not easy being disabled...the perks, while often necessary, are also well-deserved niceities.

I just booked a handicap cabin, so don't shot me.. I have had a stroke, and cannot shower without a shower chair and they are the only cabins that have them. I also am dibectic. But I cannot stand too long to shower, that is why they are giving me a Handicap Cabin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We booked a HC room for my daughter and myself over 20 months ago. Before you jump down my throat, my husband is wheelchair bound. Since the booking was more than 18 months before the cruise we could not book him and be able to get insurance. So we just booked for my daughter and myself and we will add him later. According to my travel agent she had no problems booking the HC room and no questions where asked. If we in fact did not really need it we would have had no problems getting it. I something happened before 2008 and my DH is not able to join us, I would diffently change rooms.

Last Janurarys cruise I needed a larger HC room since daughter decided at last minute to join us. I wonderful couple changed rooms with us. I really was suprised at how many handicap people where using the rooms. Believe me I was watching. We are out there traveling, no longer shut in at home.

Be glad you don't NEED these rooms. My husband would be glad to give up this room for the ablitity to use two fingers. Be happy you have to walk all the way down the hall to get anywhere. Be glad you can use the steps instead of the elevators. Be glad you can stand in the tiny little shower instead of having to be lifted to a shower chair. Be glad you can use the toliet instead of disposible bags. Be glad you can find an excursion that you can even go on. Be glad you can walk on to a tender and not have to stay behind. I could go on and on.

there is a reason Hc room are now mandatory. There where fought for and we will fight to keep them.

P>S. Just the other day I was going to park in a HC space and an attendent tried to wave me out of it. She asked where my hanging plackit was. I looked at her and said I have WC plates. She was startled. She said I didn't even look at your plates. DUH!!!

we sailed on the crown princess in a non-HC room. turns out despite what they advertise the tiny travel scooters cannot get into the doorways. It was very hard on me physically to get around with the scooter not in the room. Since we were on board I assume they would never move someone? The staff just said all rooms booked, then they told us that they always suggest people park the scooter in a public area, and "go get it" as needed. Also the auto door openers were off for the entire trip! I got stuck waiting for help when alone with the scooter. I can walk a bit so survived but I cannot walk without severe pain. What a choice.

My faxed letter got an blow-off response. NOT a cruise line I'll book again unless it chages. They should have been more concerned about the door openers and certainly shouldn't have built doorways where regulation travel scooters don't fit.

I'm over on a college admissions advice board and if you think cruising is bad you should read the attitude of parents. I am sure nice people just blinded by that want vs need. Today's was ' I have 300,000 in savings but I will NEED to spend it eventually. Can't I just not tell the college so I don't have to use it to pay for my kids".

Gee my husband has a nice salary but the govt. keeps taking TAXES ( probably to help pay for rich kids avoiding college tuition?) but we NEED to spend that tax money on cruises. Can't we keep it and let someone else pay?

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

I am a T5 para and have always had a HC rooom with my AB husband and daughter. This upcoming cruise or DD is bringing a friend so they will have thier own cabin. They are both 11. I booked a HC balcony cabin for my husband and a standard interior for the girls which is directly across from our cabin. It dawned on me the other day that I will not be able to get into the girl's cabin. While I find this less then ideal, I would not want to take a HC cabin away from someone else woudl need it since the girls certainly don't but it is hard thinking I can not tuck them in.

Jean

I guess that I'm not sure what you're asking. Did you want to get another accessible room for your daughter and friend? I wouldn't like that idea for a couple of reasons. First, a nearby AR is probably aways down the hall from you and I'm sure you wouldn't like them to be that far away from you. Secondly, they don't belong in an AR by themselves - a regular room maybe, depending where it's located, but not an AR.

I think that your only choice is to either bring them into the room with you and have them share a small couch or stay where they are with maybe a monitor between the two rooms. Mom, you'll just have to "tuck them in" at the door.

I hope that you have a wonderful cruise.

Judy - I was not asking anything just commenting. Thanks for the well wishes

Queenie2- you are so right. I just booked another cruise, same situation. Wouldn't it be grand if all the cabins had wide doors. (My SIL had a suite once that I could get into that was a treat)

Jean

I am booked in a suite, NON HC for an upcoming NCL cruise. I am bringing a scooter, they are not allowed to be in the halls on any ship by the way it is against Coast Guard fire regulations.

But that was not my point. I got a call Saturday from NCL asking about my medical conditions.

It bugs the Heck out of me that when I DO book HC rooms, out of need, I have to send in the paperwork etc. and all those AB's that book them obviously never do send in anything, and here I book a regular suite and they still want private information about me.

she asked if the scooter was just for mobility or if there was any other medical information they needed to know. I know that can be looked at from two ways but it just bugs me. They should ask every passenger for medical info in that case.

anyway I have been told the scooter will fit through the door of the suite so I hope it does. On the Majesty there are only 4 HC cabins, all of which were booked. So I booked the suite.

Please excuse me if I have misunderstood....... But why are some of you complaining about having to provide proof for needing such a special cabin?? Ok the system is obviously not working smoothly but this is the only way (some) cruiselines can try and "control" who is elligable for such a cabin and who not.

I know and it annoys the hell out of me too but unfortunately there are too many dr. out there who will dish out Dr. Notes when they are not really needed. This makes life for those cruiselines who try to "screen" very diificult since they are not allowed to "practice medicine without a license either" and just have to take the Dr. word for it.

So now I have a question for if you don't want to provide a form of documentation how should a cruiselines try to "screen" and decide who gets those unfortunately very few cabins? It is a very difficult one but perhaps I am missing something .....

I am also wondering if this problem is one based in the US since I cannot even get the cruiselines to even ask for HC inventory (mostly in Miami) without proper documentation from the potential passenger.

Archived