Has anyone done the Petra excursion on Princess?

mrstmaxx

We are interested in this excursion but a little concerned when it says you have to walk 5-6 miles each way through the Siq and enter the city ruins (it's 1/2 mile from the entrance of the site to the Siq)  We wouldn't have a problem walking 10-12 miles at our own pace but not sure how much time they give you go walk to the City.  I did check the Activity Site (maybe it's called something else) on CC but there was nothing there that would answer my question.   Thank you for any info you may have if you've done this specific excursion.

We visited Petra on our own several years ago and not part of a cruise excursion. We spent two days in the site and didn’t see it all. There’s no easy way to explore it as there are no autos allowed and it’s quite a long distance to cover if you’re going to see much of it. There are mules and donkeys that can be rented to ride out but your guide would have to arrange them in advance and not sure if the excursions have that option.  

The excursion details should explain how long you will be at the site. How far in advance are you from your cruise?  If those details are not in there now search a different voyage that does Petra to see if it’s excursion has the details in it. 

Edited by gottagocit

21 minutes ago, mrstmaxx said:

We are interested in this excursion but a little concerned when it says you have to walk 5-6 miles each way through the Siq and enter the city ruins (it's 1/2 mile from the entrance of the site to the Siq)  We wouldn't have a problem walking 10-12 miles at our own pace but not sure how much time they give you go walk to the City.  I did check the Activity Site (maybe it's called something else) on CC but there was nothing there that would answer my question.   Thank you for any info you may have if you've done this specific excursion.

We did this excursion in 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed it.   Yes there is a lot of walking over uneven ground and can be very hot.  I cannot recall what time we arrived but we left the site around 1:00pm for an amazing buffet meal  at an area hotel in the way back to the ship.   DH had time to hike up to the monastery which is about as far away from the entrance you can get.  
We booked the excursion as soon as it was available.   Prices increased closer to the date.  There were many many buses from the ship, including a couple with only crew as passengers.

99BB1171-13B5-4EED-90BC-6FD03C0B9B61.thumb.jpeg.e99ab986a3e35498a1f1a995859408fb.jpeg

9367C5D8-EA21-4EFA-84B0-A18E8DE14D3B.jpeg

50CAC9D5-162F-46C1-BB24-B7D5D0FAC3B4.jpeg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mrstmaxx said:

Thank you so much!!  Do you think it was about 10 miles?   Beautiful pictures 

Total from the bus parking lot to Petra entrance and the hike to the Monastery could be around 10 miles round trip.   The trail to the from the city complex to the monastery has over 800 steps one way.   To make it to the monastery you need to move quickly to make the return time to the bus.   

2 hours ago, mrstmaxx said:

We just finished an NCL cruise on the Jade this past Nov/Dec and one of the places we visited was Petra. Starting at post #204, I provide an overview with plenty of pictures of what we saw on our NCL excursion. Hope this helps.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

What were the temperatures in Israel, Luxor and Petra at that time of year please ?

Thanks. 

If I recall they were in the high 70s to mid 80s, but definitely not uncomfortably hot.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1