Timing of Upgrade offer

SirJackDaniels

How unusual is it to receive the upgrade offer email prior to final payment?

Had an offer on 01/03/2023, final payment was/is due 17/03/2023 for 19/05 cruise (we've already payed in full).

Anyone had and made an offer before final payment and was this accepted?

38 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I am new to MSC and upgrade bidding. If I submitted a really cheeky offer is it likeley to be accepted? Thanks

It would depend on availability, demand for lower level cabins, how many others bid on your particular cruise and how much stronger their bids are.  We were successful with a very low bid on Azamara last year as sales were slow, with fewer bookings on suites. Currently we don’t get to bid with MSC. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

It would depend on availability, demand for lower level cabins, how many others bid on your particular cruise and how much stronger their bids are.  We were successful with a very low bid on Azamara last year as sales were slow, with fewer bookings on suites. Currently we don’t get to bid with MSC. 

Thanks, I am not sure how busy our cruise is but i might just give it ago anad see what we get

11 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Thanks, I am not sure how busy our cruise is but i might just give it ago anad see what we get

Only bid what you feel the upgrade would be worth to you.  In our case I wasn’t very optimistic - the cost to upgrade would have cost an extra $5000 - we bid $1000 total cos that’s all the value we saw for the extras we were gaining. 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cathygh said:

I am new to MSC and upgrade bidding. If I submitted a really cheeky offer is it likeley to be accepted? Thanks

At this point in time almost every cruise is sold out... A lower bid will most likely not win....

21 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Only bid what you feel the upgrade would be worth to you.  In our case I wasn’t very optimistic - the cost to upgrade would have cost an extra $5000 - we bid $1000 total cos that’s all the value we saw for the extras we were gaining. 

Sound advice as always Bea, Likewise, initially always book a cabin you are happy with - then if the offers are within your perceived value range go ahead and make an offer, even if it doesn't get accepted you'll still have a cabin you wanted.

• Like 2

I am familiar with the MSC bidding system, as it is the same one NCL uses.

I very rarely see the value in 'full price' bookings these days. I just do not see the value for Haven, YC, Retreat, whatever it might be - at the requested market rate. I also do not care if I succeed in a bid or not, and will only bid what I am happy to pay overall as others have mentioned.

I can only hope that cruise pricing 'normalises' again once the post-pandemic rush full shakes out, There is some comfort in the fact that more and more ships are coming online over the coming decade, which will increase overall capacity and theoretically reduce price, unless the market also grows correspondingly. It astonishes me that the high asking prices for premium cabins are sustained and continue to be 'asked' for.

I am minded towards Azamara/Oceania/Viking or the like due to the lessening price gap between 'ship within a ship' concepts and more premium lines, but have some concerns about the size of those ships/number of amenities available due to the size. I would like to sample Explora Journeys as well but see point above about price point and the value attached.  One of the big draws of the 'ship within a ship' concept is access to the more numerous amenities.

My last two MSC sailings were YC and my next is in Aurea and hope it is not too shocking an adjustment. I have a figure in mind to bid (if it opens up).  I like to think as World Europa has so many YC cabins at least some will be available to bid on. Combined with sailing in the 'off season' - I am quietly hopeful of a succesful bid but would not be devastated if it did not come off. I already intend to purchase a dining package to offset one of the larger drawbacks of MSC as I see it (the food).

Edited by Captain-John

The danger in any bid is where they put you if the bid is accepted. If you're absolutely sure they will put you on a deck with cabins above and below you, fine. Otherwise you could end up on a high deck but below the pool deck or below the buffet.

On a recent NCL cruise, I had booked an inside cabin and did not make a bid. Once on the ship I realized the sailing was only one-third full and inquired at Reception. They said the minimum bid was $125pp for a balcony. I agreed to make that offer on the condition I was on Deck 10 only, starboard side. Within a couple hours we got moved to our new home.

Bids can be great deals compared to initial prices but just know you have no control over where you go if the bid is accepted. You can pretend to create a new booking on the MSC website and generally see how many empties are still available for your sailing. That will give you an idea on the likelihood of a minimum bid being accepted or whether you should wait until you're aboard so you can negotiate your future location.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Is there a website on which you can make bids directly, like RCI & X, or do you have to wait to be invited by MSC first?

Regards,

Cublet

I made a final payment and the day after doing the check in, apart from Credit Card, I got an email from MSC to upgrade.

On 3/22/2023 at 3:11 PM, cublet said:

Hello,

Is there a website on which you can make bids directly, like RCI & X, or do you have to wait to be invited by MSC first?

Regards,

Cublet

@cublet, not that I'm aware of - you need to check the box in your Online account to subscribe as far as I know

On 3/22/2023 at 3:49 PM, RBrowny said:

I made a final payment and the day after doing the check in, apart from Credit Card, I got an email from MSC to upgrade.

@RBrowny this was one of the points to my post - strangely this time I received the upgrade offer before final payment was due, I'm hoping this will sort of give me better priority, but it is more likely just a quirk of iT at MSC - here's hoping the upgrade fairies are good to me

3 minutes ago, SirJackDaniels said:

@cublet, not that I'm aware of - you need to check the box in your Online account to subscribe as far as I know

Can you direct me to the box in the account, JD?  I’ve never received an upgrade bid offer and just thought that it’s not offered here. 

On 3/10/2023 at 8:02 AM, SirJackDaniels said:

How unusual is it to receive the upgrade offer email prior to final payment?

Had an offer on 01/03/2023, final payment was/is due 17/03/2023 for 19/05 cruise (we've already payed in full).

Anyone had and made an offer before final payment and was this accepted?

Won't be accepted until within 30 days or so but more likely 3-5 days unless you bid a large amount that equals what you could buy it for.

Also are you talking Yacht club?

No need to give the farm away so far out. There are hundreds waiting to upgrade.

4 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Won't be accepted until within 30 days or so but more likely 3-5 days unless you bid a large amount that equals what you could buy it for.

Also are you talking Yacht club?

No need to give the farm away so far out. There are hundreds waiting to upgrade.

YC Deluxe, Grand Suite Aurea with whirlpool and Premium Suite Aurea, online the Grand Suites are all sold out but there are currently 11 YC Deluxe showing as available for booking.

Strangely enough at the time, even the top offer was for less than current prices.

I put bids in for what I was comfortable with, all were considered 'strong' offers - will just have to wait out I guess

Edited by SirJackDaniels

2 minutes ago, SirJackDaniels said:

there are currently 11 YC Deluxe showing as available for booking

That's actually good for you.  But that will be 3-5 days prior to sailing they will assign them.

As sailing gets closer, watch prices as they may come down and then people may outright buy them.

6 minutes ago, SirJackDaniels said:

@Beamafar Login to your account > Account Settings > Privacy Settings and check the box 'Register for special offers and news from MSC Cruises' - don't forget to save the changes

Unfortunately I can’t log in.  Haven’t been able to for years.  Gave up trying to get them to sort it. 

The Ireland website was finally brought into the 21st century recently;  tried to log in but keep getting a notice saying my email has to be validated and that they’ve sent me an email for validation.  However I never get the email.  Yet, if I try to register with my email address they say that it is already associated with an account. 🙄

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

Unfortunately I can’t log in.  Haven’t been able to for years.  Gave up trying to get them to sort it. 

The Ireland website was finally brought into the 21st century recently;  tried to log in but keep getting a notice saying my email has to be validated and that they’ve sent me an email for validation.  However I never get the email.  Yet, if I try to register with my email address they say that it is already associated with an account. 🙄

The joy's of MSC iT 🤬

Incidently Bea, how then do you do check-in and access your docs for boarding/luggage?

4 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

That's actually good for you.  But that will be 3-5 days prior to sailing they will assign them.

As sailing gets closer, watch prices as they may come down and then people may outright buy them.

Good advice divina, hence my earlier post that when making your initial booking, always book a cabin you will be happy with, then if the upgrade fairy does decide to smile on you it's an added bonus 😉

Just now, SirJackDaniels said:

The joy's of MSC iT 🤬

Incidently Bea, how then do you do check-in and access your docs for boarding/luggage?

Name and booking number gives me access - but just to the particular booking;  not to my account.  Joys of MSC IT, alright. 🤣   Still, the new site is awesome in comparison to what we had before. 🤪

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

Name and booking number gives me access - but just to the particular booking;  not to my account.  Joys of MSC IT, alright. 🤣   Still, the new site is awesome in comparison to what we had before. 🤪

Surprised nobody at MSC can't just reset your password for you, saying that mind from some of the horror stories I hear that'd probably result in you being deleted from the system entirely, including any bookings

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SirJackDaniels said:

Surprised nobody at MSC can't just reset your password for you, saying that mind from some of the horror stories I hear that'd probably result in you being deleted from the system entirely, including any bookings

DH has a similar problem so it may be a glitch in the new site.  Guess I’ll live without the chance to bid for an upgrade.  🥴😆