Bergen, Norway Excursion Questions

SakeDad

We are on NCL in July and have discounts for the Bergen on Foot & Funicular tour. But would it be better to do the Hop On/Hop Off bus on our own? We are there 9:00am-4:00pm. Or do you have other suggestions? Thanks

In my opinion, Bergen is easily enjoyed on foot including the funicular.  Unless you have mobility issues, I suppose.  However, ships can dock at a pier that is a little further walk than a pier that is closer to the touristy area.  When that happens, there is usually a shuttle that takes you part of the way to the touristy area and then you need to walk some more.  However, perhaps things will be different this cruise season.

Looking at the HoHo Bus route map, it takes care of picking up at that more distant cruise port.  So you would not need to do much walking if you used it.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SakeDad said:

We are on NCL in July and have discounts for the Bergen on Foot & Funicular tour. But would it be better to do the Hop On/Hop Off bus on our own? We are there 9:00am-4:00pm. Or do you have other suggestions? Thanks

Same tour, though in August. The question I had when reading the description was do they stop at the places they describe on the way, or just walk past. They all sounded interesting.

13 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Same tour, though in August. The question I had when reading the description was do they stop at the places they describe on the way, or just walk past. They all sounded interesting.

GREAT POINT! The description on NCL's website says they "pass" this and "pass" that with a guide. But if they are just walking by as they tell me something the HOHO busses will give just as much info and I can stop anywhere and stay as long as I want without being tied to a group and then trying to make it back to something I want to see more of.

8 hours ago, SakeDad said:

GREAT POINT! The description on NCL's website says they "pass" this and "pass" that with a guide. But if they are just walking by as they tell me something the HOHO busses will give just as much info and I can stop anywhere and stay as long as I want without being tied to a group and then trying to make it back to something I want to see more of.

Yes, that "pass by" also caught my attention. All those places passed by seemed interesting. If someone has done that tour, I hope they respond and tell us if they really just pass by or at least stop at those places for a bit.