Cruising for the 1st time in a while - what changes to expect?

We have cruised Carnival a lot, but not so much recently.  We are on a 5-night cruise on the Sunshine, leaving March 18, so I'm trying to be prepared (and not disappointed!).  I have read here and there about random changes.  I tried to search this forum but couldn't find anything specific that summarized the major changes over the last few years.  What I have seen:

1. No lobster on 5-nighters

2. Housekeeping is only once per day

3. Recent brunch menu changes?  just brunch?  or dinner too?

4. wifi package appears to be more expensive, as well as gratuities (and in stateroom bottled water delivery)

Anything else I should know?  

Thanks in advance!  We are excited!

Guest BasicSailor

Well, it's a skip and a hop to the port for you. So many changes to list. What once was is just too much to list. Hit that cruise and hopefully you will enjoy it. Come back here and post a review. So, we will gain from your experiences.

But a few will come along here and help, I'm sure.

Edited by BasicSailor

6 hours ago, cruising with the family said:

We have cruised Carnival a lot, but not so much recently.  We are on a 5-night cruise on the Sunshine, leaving March 18, so I'm trying to be prepared (and not disappointed!).  I have read here and there about random changes.  I tried to search this forum but couldn't find anything specific that summarized the major changes over the last few years.  What I have seen:

1. No lobster on 5-nighters

2. Housekeeping is only once per day

3. Recent brunch menu changes?  just brunch?  or dinner too?

4. wifi package appears to be more expensive, as well as gratuities (and in stateroom bottled water delivery)

Anything else I should know?  

Thanks in advance!  We are excited!

You can still get lobster some nights, it's just an upcharge and is listed with the (supposedly) better quality steaks on the menu. 

Housekeeping is only once per day, however, with one fairly recent exception for me, the housekeeping staff are just as friendly as ever and will go above and beyond if you do end up needing something extra some days.

Menus have changed all over to various degrees. Open times for various things have also changed (ex: no more 24 hour pizza, ice cream, more limited hours on some of the included non-MDR dining venues, etc). 

Prices on most things have gone up in the last year or have added charges (personally I don't find most of these to be drastic, but some people have made a huge fuss about most of these): some excursions, gifts/food/drinks ordered to your stateroom, gratuities, some specialty dining, small charge per plate if you order more than 2 entrees in the MDR, etc.

Muster drill is still currently just a check in at your station and watch their 40 second demo on how to use a life jacket. (Super quick and easy - just find your station as soon as your board and get this out of the way).

They have pushed usage of the app a LOT recently, which means you pretty much need to carry your phone around with you the majority of the time - menus, activities, reservations, dining check in, etc. That said, the paper copies of the Fun Times to your stateroom are supposed to be coming back, and you can always get a paper copy from the coffee shop or at guest services. You can always ask for a paper menu in the dining rooms.

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head

We just got off the Dream on Saturday.  If you wanted a paper copy of the Fun Times you had to go hunt it down.

The popcorn for a move was a $3 charge.  

Security was all over and by the 3rd day was starting to really step on the parents if their kids/teens were out of control.  Not a bad thing. 

Keep a half-full attitude.  I understand wanting to know what to expect.   But, it does little good to focus on a list of negatives, if that is, you plan to take the cruise anyway.  Enjoy.   

Room service menu for free/included items are limited now but there are a few more items added for a charge (minimal).  DS and DH have enjoyed several of these added items. 

If you have loyalty items to receive they are no longer in your cabin for the most part and you will need to go to other areas to pick them up if you want them (pixels for your platinum gift or any bar for your bottle of free water etc.).

Not sure how long its been since you have cruised but your S&S cards will be in your mailbox outside your cabin for pickup when your cabin is ready.  

You should go to your muster station (ask where it is located as soon as you board) and check in as that is pretty much it and will take you less than 2 mins to complete.  They will also show the process on your cabin TV once you can access your cabin.  This is one of the best things CCL has done in the last few years.  

Enjoy your cruise 

We just cruised with CCL for the first time in a couple of years (been doing other lines, AI's). Had a great time on the new Celebration. Thought entertainment was better even than in years past. MDR food was the same-ish. But I did like Big Chicken and Guys and the food trucks whatever they call stations on the lido. Also Chibang and Cochina de Capitano where free venues with Celebration so that was an added plus we took full advantage of. 

Not sure what the issue is that people have with once a day service, its fine and never an issue. Room was cleaned perfectly every day. Not having the blankets rolled down and chocolate on the pillow is no issue for us. 

Felt like the MDR service was a bit inconsistent. Felt weird ordering cocktails/apps/entrees/dessert all at once. 

CD, bars, service in general were all great. 

Edited by elcuchio24

Let’s see...we last cruised in 2013, I think...but that’s just a guess, to be honest. Since then, we’ve camped and done other land based vacations. This is going to be a huge change for several reasons. Our young teens are now adults, our preschooler is now a teenager, and we are now in our 50s. We haven’t ever cruised on Carnival as a family - our last cruise was on Royal Caribbean. It's been so long, I don’t even think we HAVE expectations other than enjoying ourselves!