Need knowledge/info

cruzbound

Hi all

We booked our first NC cruise. We smhave been on like 20 cruises but we have been loyal to ——.  Don’t want to get in trouble for saying another cruise line name. 

Anyway we are going on Spirit and am hoping for information on NC in general. I know they don’t have the typical first and second dinner times so I was wondering what time of dinner reservations we should book if we want the chance to catch the shows?  On our other cruises we usually take a late dining option bc we are dmscuba divers and don’t want to get back from excursions at 4 pm and have to rush to get ready for dinner. 

How is the food on NC?  Do they accommodate picky eaters?

How are the shows on NC?

We booked the flight with NC also. Any positive or negative stories from using them?  We are doing the Honolulu to Papeete cruise. By booking with them, they are responsible for making sure we get there before the ship leaves, right?

In regards to the two bottles of wine per person. If we bring bottles they do not need to be opened with a corkscrew and we keep them in our room do they still charge the corking fee?

Any other info/suggestions/insight would be very appreciated. 

Thanks

cruzbound

I saw that about the beverage package but why would you bring wine when you have a beverage package. Makes no sense to me. The other line we use only charges a corkage fee if you bring it to the dining room. I guess that is why we use the other line. 

Anyone have any other info on my other questions and/or just insight to provide us since we have never been on this line. Thanks 

4 minutes ago, cruzbound said:

I saw that about the beverage package but why would you bring wine when you have a beverage package. Makes no sense to me. The other line we use only charges a corkage fee if you bring it to the dining room. I guess that is why we use the other line. 

Anyone have any other info on my other questions and/or just insight to provide us since we have never been on this line. Thanks 

The beverage package might not cover one’s expensive taste in wine.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Denversail said:

The beverage package might not cover one’s expensive taste in wine.

This. I've been looking at the under $15 glasses included in the package and most of that is borderline undrinkable to me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cruzbound said:

How are the shows on NC?

Just got off a Celebrity Apex cruise, and have to say that I find NCL shows are broadway caliber.

35 minutes ago, cruzbound said:

In regards to the two bottles of wine per person. If we bring bottles they do not need to be opened with a corkscrew and we keep them in our room do they still charge the corking fee?

No cork fee if you have the alcohol package. NCL alcohol package covers drinks up to $15 dollars, anything above that, you paid the difference with a 20% gratuity.

Thank you all for the responses. No need to answer on the wine question anymore please. 

Would love insight on dinner times, accommodations for picky eaters such as can I have them minus things from meals or change out a potato for a veggie, those type of things?

Experience on flights booked thru NC. Are they responsible for making sure we get to the cruise in time?  We booked air and shuttle thru them

Thanks

52 minutes ago, cruzbound said:

Hi all

We booked our first NC cruise. We smhave been on like 20 cruises but we have been loyal to ——.  Don’t want to get in trouble for saying another cruise line name. 

Anyway we are going on Spirit and am hoping for information on NC in general. I know they don’t have the typical first and second dinner times so I was wondering what time of dinner reservations we should book if we want the chance to catch the shows?  On our other cruises we usually take a late dining option bc we are dmscuba divers and don’t want to get back from excursions at 4 pm and have to rush to get ready for dinner. 

How are the shows on NC?

We booked the flight with NC also. Any positive or negative stories from using them?  We are doing the Honolulu to Papeete cruise. By booking with them, they are responsible for making sure we get there before the ship leaves, right?

Any other info/suggestions/insight would be very appreciated. 

Thanks

cruzbound

You can make reservations for some restaurants online ahead of boarding. In the past, I've never had to make reservations ahead for the free sit down restaurants though. I was recently told by a rep from NCL that only 20% of the available restaurant reservations are available to book before boarding. Don't worry if there are no times available. 

Food is subjective. You will get different opinions from everyone. My expectations for a cruise line quality of food is low, so I'm normally not disappointed. We like going to the sit down restaurants instead of the buffets. I've always thought the food was ok to really good. My least favorite is at the O'Sheehan's Bar and Grill. Part of the free at sea usually includes 2 specialty dinner restaurants. We found Le Bistro to be one of the best specialty dining restaurants. 

If you can see the times of the shows ahead of time that would be helpful and then book your dining reservations from there.  I think on my last cruise, there was an early showing and a late show for the broadway show Six. Usually the shows have two times.

Norwegian is freestyle, so you don't need to dress up for dinner, can eat anytime during the meal times and you normally don't have the same section/table for a meal.

I would search this message boards for experiences of those who book through NCL for their airfare. Mostly bad stories. 

Edited by genealogyfan

Thanks genealogyfan. This is helpful information. So just to confirm you say you don’t have to dress up for the sit down dinners. Anywhere even the specialty restaurants?  What do you mean by not dress up?  Can you wear shorts?  

If you book the BOGO air the general consensus is to request a one day deviation to arrive 1 day before the cruise. You have to do it at least 75 days out though. You get a credit and more peace of mind in case of unfavorable flights. 

2 minutes ago, cruzbound said:

Thanks genealogyfan. This is helpful information. So just to confirm you say you don’t have to dress up for the sit down dinners. Anywhere even the specialty restaurants?  What do you mean by not dress up?  Can you wear shorts?  

I think normally one of the free sit down restaurants doesn't allow shorts, but pants like jeans, casual are allowed (possibly at least one or more of the specialty restaurants don't allow shorts either). You can wear casual pants, jeans, etc..

2 minutes ago, cruzbound said:

Destar

Are those specialty restaurants?  Sorry for all the stupid questions but I know totally nothing about NC. 

Le Bistro and Palomar are specialty restaurant. In the main dining room you can get away with shorts and t-shirt. NCL is very casual.

5 minutes ago, cruzbound said:

Hi carohs

What do you mean you get a credit?  What type of credit for what?

We are still six months out from the trip so we have time to make changes if it benefits us for sure

Thanks

OUR DATE DEVIATION PROGRAM

Want to spend extra time exploring ashore? We can arrange flights that arrive or depart up to two days before or after your cruise, so you can make the most of your vacation. Below are the program’s Terms and Conditions:

Guests can deviate their travel dates by arriving up to two days prior to embarkation and up to two days after disembarkation.

Date deviations can be added up to 75 days prior to embarkation for existing reservations.

An air credit of $25 per guest per deviation will be applied to your reservation.

Adding or removing a date deviation updates the air dates on the original reservation. If the change is made inside the cancelation period, a cancelation fee may apply.

Some sailings may not be eligible for date deviation requests.

I would suggest search the info and deck plans of your ship. That will tell you what dining options they have and which are free and which are specialty dining.  Also when you log into your NCL account and selection view your reservation,  you can explore the dining options, reservations, entertainment, excursions etc..under the "explore & plan" tab.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/spirit#!#things-to-know

1 hour ago, cruzbound said:

How are the shows on NC?

You're allowed to mention other cruise line names. Sometimes that even helps as folks have traveled on more than one and can help you equate an experience with restaurant X to the one you can look forward to having on the particular NCL ship you'll be on.

Specialty dining restaurants usually require a reservation. You can (and should) pre-book these before you get on board. You can usually shuffle them around and change the days/times when you get on board as needed. For the regular dining room, no reservations are needed unless you have a large group. 

Main theatre shows tend to be at 7pm and 9:30pm. So you could always get back on board, shower, then head to the first showing and eat dinner after. Or, plan on seeing the later show if you wanted to eat first.

I'm a picky eater, and I manage just fine. If it's already listed on the menu, you can easily swap out proteins or veggies, or ask for sauces on the side or not at all. Now if you want a mushroom risotto without mushrooms - not going to happen as that is already incorporated into the dish itself. But I've had no problem swapping a veal cutlet with a chicken one, or getting a potato side instead of broccoli and things like that. If you're looking for them to make something from scratch that's not even on the menu, that's a different story.

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask what is on the kids menu too. This most recent trip I order off of there a few times as I wanted something simple. Chicken noodle soup, mac & cheese, pizza.... there's a lot they already offer and can easily made. So I often use a kids meal choice as my appetizer since I don't eat seafood or shrooms and many choices have them in the MDR options.

Flights - read the information (all of it) provided by them on their website, in your confirmation letters and documents, including the fine print, very carefully. I've had no issues with the flights and have saved thousands by using NCL to book them, but the airport transfers I will no longer be using from NCL. Do some research here on the port of call forums for your embarkation/debarkation ports and see what a ballpark price for taxi/Uber/Lyft would be. If it's similar to what NCL is charging, you're better off doing it on your own. With the NCL transfers you have to wait a long time before you get onto a bus with 50+ other passengers. We almost missed our flight home yesterday and had to take a Lyft and forgo the included NCL bus to the airport. So flights will be fine - ask for a deviation if going international for safety (meaning you fly in at least 1-2 days early).

1 hour ago, cruzbound said:

I saw that about the beverage package but why would you bring wine when you have a beverage package. Makes no sense to me. 

If you get the drink package (if you plan on having 2-3 drinks per day, plus sodas, it's 100% worth it in my opinion with the free at sea promotion), then you do not pay any corkage fee at all. The reason folks bring their own wine even with the package is either because there is a particular wine they like which the ship doesn't offer (choices for sweeter wines or higher end wines are very limited), the wine they like is pricier than the $15 limit allowed in the drink package and they prefer to just bring something from home than pay the $1-3 per drink overage charge, or they want a full bottle to have in their room at a time of their choosing. With the regular drink package it only includes wine by the glass. So if you want a full bottle, you would have to pay extra - or bring your own.

• Like 1

NCL does not guarantee they will get you to the ship. Think of them simply as a travel agent who are booking flights for you within their time guidelines. If you book your flight to arrive the day of sailing, they may try to help if you run into delays, but they are not going to pay for a flight to the next port.

4 hours ago, cruzbound said:

How are the shows on NC?

The Spirit is one of the oldest and smallest ship in the NCL fleet. But, it was refurbished in 2022 where they demo'ed the ship's public areas down to the deck plates and rebuilt them. So,,, it is fresh and new. The refit was intended to make the ship more upscale catering to the adult demographic (for example, they removed the kids clubs). 

NCL embraces Freestyle dining. For the main dining rooms, show up when you are hungry or when it fits your dive or show schedule. No need for reservations, just show up. If you have a show you are trying to see, tell your waiter and they will serve you in the time you have specified (e.g., I am trying to make a 7:30 show"). 

Not sure what "accommodate picky eaters" means. If you have a dietary restriction, they will ensure you are served foods that won't make you sick. If you are asking if you can custom/off menu order a bison steak for dinner, no, it is not Cunard grill class. 

Freestyle dining also means no "Formal Nights". You Dress Uup or Not (NCL's slogan). Shorts are allowed in all restaurants (MDR and specialty) for all meals except Le Bistro and the Windows Main Dining Room (aft) where gents are asked to wear long pants (dockers or jeans are fine). There will be photographers out every night if you want to take a picture (dressed up or not). If you are asking "is everyone wearing shorts to dinner", the answer is "no", but it is not prohibited. You won't see any tuxes,,, and very very few suits... The "most dressed" folks are the young adults trying to impress each other. 

The main theater production shows, Blazing Boots and Elements are above average traditional cruise shows (i.e., not true Broadway, but excellent). 

For departures from Honolulu, I would request a 2 day deviation (showing up 2 days early). It will help you get over the jet lag of getting to Hawaii. Also, it is hurricane season and provides some "pad" in case of weather delays. NCL will provide shuttle service to the ship (although it is fairly close from Waikiki to the port). NCL will assist you if you arrive late, but they will not hold a ship if your flight is late. If you miss the ship, NCL will help you get to Kauai to meet the ship there.

NCL Air Good/Bad? They book flights. They will book you on the cheapest flights they can find shortly before your cruise. Most people complain about the flights booked. Once booked, you can work to sort out seats, etc. Most flights (even if you book them yourself) from Honolulu to the mainland are red eyes. Which people complain about incessantly. 

Most people take the Free at Sea beverage package (paying only for the gratuity on the package). If you have included the Free at Sea beverage package with your reservation, there is no corkage fee for any wine brought aboard, regardless of where it is consumed. If you elected not to take the beverage package, then you have to pay the corkage fee on every bottle, regardless of where it is consumed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, destar said:

Le Bistro and Palomar requires slacks or jeans.

There is no Palomar on the Spirit.

Le Bistro doesn’t allow shorts and in the past Windows (aft dining room) has also not allowed them. The dress code in the aft dining room can vary by ship, but I would expect this to still be the same on the Spirit.

Shorts will be fine everywhere else.

• Like 1

IMO when it comes to flight, you will generally only see reviews of people complaining so take it with a grain of salt. I've used it on my cruise last summer and am using it again this summer. It was alright. I got decent flights though I do live near Chicago which is a big hub so that might have been a factor. The only thing for me was that the flights as assigned "late". I'm a "plan early" type and since the flights aren't assigned until 60-30 days out, looking to book hotel and transportation to/from airports had to wait. I like having that all settled as early as possible so I was biting my nails waiting for the confirmations. If you like control over that, book your own flights and take a pass on letting the cruise line book them.

• There have been reports of folks booking air through NCL and missing their cruise, passengers get cheaper flights but it’s not a program guaranteeing they get you to the ship. We are a family of 7 and never made MDR reservations, never had to wait. We used to pay corkage on wine even with the UDP to have bottles in our room, or at our table (I’ve found drink service to be slow), happy it’s now free.