Using beverage package to pay for tastings?

Real NHDOC

We were told that we could use our have it all (signature beverage package) at a martini event in the Tamarind bar (a flight of three drinks was normally $22 so assume they run it through as a double drink). Also were told we could order wine by the bottle and deduct $11 from the price (though it really should be more).

Has anyone else had any offers to use SBP towards things like beer tasting events or mixology presentations?

No, SBP is for single drinks only - can’t be used for any tastings or a bottle of wine.

They have to be paid for via either your on board account or a beverage card (which is purchased - not part of HIA).

• Like 1

The martini and whiskey flights, mixology classes, and wine tasting events are not included in the SBP package. It would be nice if you could get a discount on a bottle of wine. Celebrity gives a 20% discount on wine bottles but their drink packages cost almost double what HAL charges.

• Like 2

Just telling you the policy on Rotterdam now allows you to use your SBP for at least the martini special which consists of three different types of martini in Tamarind and they do give you an $11 allowance towards bottles of wine (or flasks of Saki in the Tamarind). Maybe it is up to the ship’s beverage manager but they are less restrictive than you may think. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? Apparently not. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

1 hour ago, kazu said:

No, SBP is for single drinks only - can’t be used for any tastings or a bottle of wine.

Just reporting my experience is contrary to this statement and we’re on Rotterdam right now where they give $11 towards a bottle of wine if you have a drink package.  And accepted the drink package for the $22 martini tasting event at Tamarind bar too. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

Just reporting my experience is contrary to this statement and we’re on Rotterdam right now where they give $11 towards a bottle of wine if you have a drink package.  And accepted the drink package for the $22 martini tasting event at Tamarind bar too. 

45 minutes ago, Lizard13 said:

I was on the Rotterdam in January and was able to use my drink package for the martini tasting in the tamarind.  The bartender rang up each drink separately.  

Good to hear from both of you.  Maybe it depends on how you ask - or the bartender 😉 

2 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

On the Rotterdam last March the HIA signature beverage package got the martini flight. Hoping that it will be the same when I board on Saturday 

• Like 1

On the Koningsdam in January a bartender spoke to us about the $11 discount on a bottle of wine.  We usually order two glasses at a time - one each for DH and myself.  So we asked about a $22 discount.  No go.  But then he offered us double pours each.  No charge and we almost used the entire bottle on those two glasses.  Lasted us all afternoon on our balcony.  🥂 

• Thanks 1

It sounds like Rotterdam has some liberal interpretations of the package coverage. I know the package rules don’t  say anything about these policies but it goes to show that you can always ask and see if they will make exceptions for you too. It seems fair to allow these exceptions so hopefully they will expand them to other special offerings. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Now if only I could use my Mariner 50% discount on wine packages plus the $11 per bottle HIA discount I could be on a winner.

Interesting, especially for Cellar 2 and 3 bottles 🤣

• Like 1

The wine package is our go-to choice on HAL. One of the reasons we typically don’t buy have it all. I prefer to see them pour the particular wine we’ve ordered rather than rely on the bartender who will often just pour a glass of whatever is most convenient. Also, I always buy package 1 and not only do we like most of the choices there but we often ask the wine steward to recommend a substitute when we get bored of a particular wine and often get something really nice off the standard wine list (that would normally cost a great deal more).  For the longest time they didn’t have the french pinot noir and allowed us to have the Sokol Blosser Evolution instead. Now they have had a nice french called Les Sallices which is almost as good. It works out to cost around what we would pay in the liquor store (after the mariner discount) so is quite the bargain. 

• Thanks 1