Reykjavik Disembarkation

ericosmith

Starting to do some planning for our first Viking cruise this summer.  We disembark in Reykjavik for our independently booked return flight leaving at 5:00.  On the large cruise lines there are normally tours with airport drop off offered.  I'm wondering if Viking might have something similar (nothing is listed under shore excursions).  We have a privately booked Golden Circle tour the prior day so I'm just looking for something to fill the time before the flight that could accommodate luggage and an airport drop off.  If not, what time must you be off the ship and am I better off with a Viking or private airport shuttle?  

Thanks!

• Like 1

Well, unless you paid for a return transfer, Viking doesn't include transfers for passengers who book their own flights, so your only option (unless, again, you paid the extra fee for transfers) is to book your own transport from the ship.

I've never seen Viking excursions on disembarkation day; normal time for leaving the ship is usually in the mornings.

2 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Starting to do some planning for our first Viking cruise this summer.  We disembark in Reykjavik for our independently booked return flight leaving at 5:00.  On the large cruise lines there are normally tours with airport drop off offered.  I'm wondering if Viking might have something similar (nothing is listed under shore excursions).  We have a privately booked Golden Circle tour the prior day so I'm just looking for something to fill the time before the flight that could accommodate luggage and an airport drop off.  If not, what time must you be off the ship and am I better off with a Viking or private airport shuttle?  

Thanks!

Consider booking a tour that takes you to The Blue Lagoon where you can store your luggage and will then pick you up at a designated time to continue to the airport.( re.is).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Thanks!

We had a small group tour which accommodated luggage pick up at ship drop off at airport.  Had lunch at a local fishing village too   It was great.  Give me til Tuesday to find info.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, janetcbl said:

Consider booking a tour that takes you to The Blue Lagoon where you can store your luggage and will then pick you up at a designated time to continue to the airport.( re.is).

This is what we did but in reverse on the way to embarkation. 

19 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

We had a small group tour which accommodated luggage pick up at ship drop off at airport.  Had lunch at a local fishing village too   It was great.  Give me til Tuesday to find info.

Ok found it.  We did the Reyjkanes Geopark excursion with Gateway to Iceland (gtice.is).  They picked us and our luggage up at the ship.  Did 6 hour tour.  Got dropped at airport.  It was an awful misty rainy day but we had a great time.  It was the only day we wore both rain pants and  jackets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Ok found it.  We did the Reyjkanes Geopark excursion with Gateway to Iceland (gtice.is).  They picked us and our luggage up at the ship.  Did 6 hour tour.  Got dropped at airport.  It was an awful misty rainy day but we had a great time.  It was the only day we wore both rain pants and  jackets.

Thanks, Lorna!  What time did they drop you at the airport and what time was your flight?   Also, they say they need 4 adults to do the tour.  Did you find someone on the ship to go with you?  Unfortunately for us, they don't go every day and they don't operate on the day we arrive in Reykjavik nor the day we depart.

However, for those interested, I found the website:

https://www.gtice.is/reykjanes-geopark/

Edited by CCWineLover

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks, Lorna!  What time did they drop you at the airport and what time was your flight?   Also, they say they need 4 adults to do the tour.  Did you find someone on the ship to go with you?  Unfortunately for us, they don't go every day and they don't operate on the day we arrive in Reykjavik nor the day we depart.

However, for those interested, I found the website:

https://www.gtice.is/reykjanes-geopark/

My flight was at 5 pm.  Dropped at the airport around 2:20.  We were a little late getting going as the guide swung by a hotel in the morning twice looking for a no show.  We just booked us 2.  The mini bus held 12 but there were 8 of us.  Two others came off our cruise ship but we did not know them.  I guess if they did not get more then 2, they would have cancelled.

36 minutes ago, ericosmith said:

Thanks for the info! This is exactly what I was looking for.  Unfortunately it's not offered on the day we disembark and the two tours that are offered are too long. 

Same for us as well.   Will look for something else.

Thanks to TL and CCWine (BTW, very impressed at your Viking voyages, CC!) for the info and link to that tour company!  Dang, we will be in Reykjavik for 3 days prior to boarding the Saturn in May, but no dates line up for us either.  Their itinerary gives us a good idea of what to look for though.  I go on Roll Call if we need to round up more people for a private tour.  Works well, usually.