Seattle airport transportation

catlady2

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

[J]ust an FYI, if you do take the bus to Pier 91, it lets you off on the bridge (overpass) and you will need to carry your luggage down 2 flights of stairs. Once at the bottom of the stairs, you will be walking about a quarter mile to the terminal building. Passengers do use the public transportation to get to Pier 91, but if you have any physical limitations, you may want to reconsider.

Excellent video. While the bus stop at which one alights given a bleak view of the port, the video shows the short walk to be much easier than that which it appears to be at first. Disappointing is the cumbersome and uninviting staircases, but there does appear to be plenty of room for the port to install elevators for access by disabled passengers and for those with a good amount of baggage. I used to face a similar length staircase, from the platform to the street, whenever I returned home on the railroad (until elevators were installed a few years ago), and that did not deter me from using the train. I would not hesitate to use the Metro bus in Seattle as shown in the video. Spending $45 to $65 for a car is not going to happen!

On 3/17/2023 at 8:55 AM, DaveOKC said:

Stay at a hotel near the airport (one that has a shuttle from the airport to hotel) and then take Seattle Express to (and from if you wish) to Pier 91.  SE stops at most airport hotels (and I think now at the airport as well) but you need a reservation.  Great service and runs on time plus reasonable price.

I am a solo traveler woman arriving almost at midnight before taking a cruise from pier 66. Just wondering how safe is a walk to Hilton Conference center at the airport.  I know its pricy, but looking for a shuttle to a cheaper hotel at midnight? Rest of my party arriving a few days earlier and I don't know what safer take a taxi/uber to them or stay at the airport .

5 minutes ago, oldplayer532 said:

I am a solo traveler woman arriving almost at midnight before taking a cruise from pier 66. Just wondering how safe is a walk to Hilton Conference center at the airport.  I know its pricy, but looking for a shuttle to a cheaper hotel at midnight? Rest of my party arriving a few days earlier and I don't know what safer take a taxi/uber to them or stay at the airport .

I've stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton and the Hampton Inn by SeaTac, and both offer shuttles that are free and a quick drive from the airport.  The Hilton Conference center also looks like it has a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I'd take the shuttle that late at night, it's hard to navigate from the airport to the hotel on foot. 

If you want to go downtown, the rooms aren't going to be cheaper than what you can find at the airport. If you're asking if it's safe to take  a taxi/uber to the hotel that they're staying at downtown to stay with them, then yes, it's safe to take a direct mode of transportation from the airport to downtown. 

Edited by psuboater
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 7:56 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@newtocruiseinblue, just an FYI, if you do take the bus to Pier 91, it lets you off on the bridge (overpass) and you will need to carry your luggage down 2 flights of stairs.  Once at the bottom of the stairs, you will be walking about a quarter mile to the terminal building.  Passengers do use the public transportation to get to Pier 91, but if you have any physical limitations, you may want to reconsider. 

A question.  is "Taking the bus"  the same as the Seattle Express.?

The two flights of stairs will be a challenge.

Thank in advance.

Headed to Seattle this July and pier 91

22 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

No, "taking the bus" is using public transportation.  Seattle Express drops you off along the U shape driveway area of the Pier 91 terminal.

Thanks. You just made me and my group very happy with this news. There are 3 of us getting knee replacements this fall and the two flights of stairs was worrisome.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 10:06 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

No, "taking the bus" is using public transportation.  Seattle Express drops you off along the U shape driveway area of the Pier 91 terminal.

Seattle Express is the way to go to and from the pier IMO.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, oldplayer532 said:

NO! Don’t even think about walking outside of the airport area after dark, I wouldn’t walk outside of the airport during the day much less at night. International Boulevard is not really a safe area. The Hilton Seattle Airport as an airport shuttle, I’d call them or take a cab or a Uber. But please don’t walk.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 8:34 AM, Lew Port said:

Thanks. You just made me and my group very happy with this news. There are 3 of us getting knee replacements this fall and the two flights of stairs was worrisome.

That’s a smart move taking Seattle Express and not taking the metro bus, those stairs can be treacherous at times especially when they are wet and you’re trying to navigate them with luggage. Seattle Express drops off towards the end of the covered walkway, it’s about 50 – 75 yards to the front of the terminal building.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 11:07 AM, oldplayer532 said:

Everyone that has offered you advice is spot on.  I've stayed at the Hilton Conference Center a couple of times in the past.  It is a nice property.  Don't walk there.  It is actually quite a bit of a hike, and the folks on International Blvd. at night you may not want to interact with.  All the airport hotels offer shuttle services, but that late at night, I'm not sure that all offer service that late.  You'll want to contact the hotel directly and find out what their shuttle hours are.  It could be 24/7, or it could be something like 5a-11p.  Shuttle availability also has a lot to do with if the hotel has a contract with an airline for crew overnights.  I'm pretty sure that the Double Tree does have a 24/7 shuttle because they have a number of aircrew lodging contracts.  Every time I'm at the Double Tree there's Southwest crew coming and going.

If the hotel doesn't have a shuttle, or you don't want to deal with waiting for them to drive the shuttle over after you call them, your backup plan is Uber or Lyft.  In the Seattle metro, for ground transport, I prefer the rideshare services over cabs.  They are cleaner, and the cost for your trip is already calculated when you hail the service, plus the charges are automatically put on your card by the service.  Uber and Lyft are also sophisticated enough that you can transmit your location while in the rideshare to your travel partners just in case.  The ride from the airport to the hotel won't be long, but budget for $20.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, joydisney said:

Is the rideshare location easy to find at the airport? 

At SeaTac, you will find the Ride-Share pick-up area on the 3rd floor.  You must take the skybridge from the airport terminal to the 4th floor of the parking garage (it's the only floor the skybridge connects to), and then take the elevator to the 3rd floor of the parking garage.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ferry_Watcher said:

At SeaTac, you will find the Ride-Share pick-up area on the 3rd floor.  You must take the skybridge from the airport terminal to the 4th floor of the parking garage (it's the only floor the skybridge connects to), and then take the elevator to the 3rd floor of the parking garage.

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...

We are flying from Detroit to Seattle for our June cruise to Alaska leaving from Vancouver. We are taking FLIX to pacific central station in Vancouver, then to a hotel for the night before boarding. My question: what’s the best way to get to FLIX station, 622 S Lane St., from SEATAC. It looks to me like the FLIX station is in Chinatown. We’re older and somewhat decrepit so public transpo not the best for us. Also, what’s the neighborhood like? We will probably have some time before boarding so we’re thinking lunch. Thank you for help.

14 hours ago, libtrek said:

We are flying from Detroit to Seattle for our June cruise to Alaska leaving from Vancouver. We are taking FLIX to pacific central station in Vancouver, then to a hotel for the night before boarding. My question: what’s the best way to get to FLIX station, 622 S Lane St., from SEATAC. It looks to me like the FLIX station is in Chinatown. We’re older and somewhat decrepit so public transpo not the best for us. Also, what’s the neighborhood like? We will probably have some time before boarding so we’re thinking lunch. Thank you for help.

The light rail is very easy, but given your mobility issues, an Uber or cab will be your best bet.  It will run you around $30-40 and take about 25 minutes in normal traffic. 

The international district is safe, some restaurants and stores have been boarded up since the pandemic and haven't recovered, so parts look "gritty" but I walk through there when it's dark in the evening in the winter to my train home and haven't had any issues. 

If you like dumplings and noodles, Dough Zone is my favorite place down there. It's Seattle's local answer to the famous dumpling house Din Tai Fung- just as delicious and literally half the cost. Right next door is Hoods Famous Cheesecake- the Ube cheesecake is definitely worth trying. 

If you like sushi, Murashi's International District is literally every time  where I pick up sushi on my way to the train when I'm heading home. Their sushi is delicious!

Uwajimaya Seattle is an awesome Asian grocery store that's a lot of fun to browse in as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, psuboater said:

Uwajimaya Seattle is an awesome Asian grocery store that's a lot of fun to browse in as well. 

Yes, agree with @psuboater, There is a lot to see and taste in the International District.  There also is a food court at the Asian supermarket Uwajimaya's that might work for you since you will have luggage.  Uwajimaya's is a Seattle institution, so it would be a great place to visit.

https://www.uwajimaya.com/visit/seattle/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Does anyone know the earliest Seattle Express would depart Pier 91 for the airport? We will do walk-off with our luggage and have an 11:45am flight. Alternately  We can use a cab or Uber. 

Seattle Express has passenger lists, so when you make your reservation with them, they know when you need to be at the airport.  I would give them a call and ask when their first shuttle leaves.  You can find Shuttle Express at Parking stall #R or #S on the right side of the driveway area in front of Pier 91.

PXL_20220802_165025831.jpg