BOA RCI Visa Rewards - can I use them for excursions?

So - I applied for and received the BOA RCI Visa shortly after we booked our trip.  We paid for the trip with the Visa which resulted in about 33,000 rewards points.  I had hoped to use that toward my excursions costs, but it looks like the best I can do is to have OBC.

Is my only option to use the rewards putting the points on as OBC and then booking an excursion on the ship?  If so - boo.  My desired excursions could be sold out, and they won't have any pre-cruise discount.

I may have learned a stupid lesson here, I think...  😛

When you go to the Bank of America website to cash in your points for OBC, they will ask for your cruise info. Date, ship, reservation #, etc... it will eventually show up in your account. I can't recall how long it takes but someone else may know! 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sunluva said:

it will eventually show up in your account. I can't recall how long it takes but someone else may know! 

My experience is they show up in the planner 1-2 weeks after redemption.

• Like 1

I am patiently waiting for my OBC from my BOA Visa to show up on my planner. I redeemed them back in December. I called the rewards desk and they said they would show up about 2 weeks before our cruise. That is this coming Friday. I will be making a call if they are not there. I have been waiting to sign up for the beverage package. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BTSEN5 said:

I am patiently waiting for my OBC from my BOA Visa to show up on my planner. I redeemed them back in December. I called the rewards desk and they said they would show up about 2 weeks before our cruise. That is this coming Friday. I will be making a call if they are not there. I have been waiting to sign up for the beverage package. 

I know Friday is only 5 days away but I would call again. My OBC usually shows up in a few days, it's never been more than 2 weeks.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BTSEN5 said:

I redeemed points for OBC yesterday and today got an email with receipt showing credit applied. I also redeemed points towards a “free” cruise about a week ago. Nothing is showing up from that yet but an answer to an email I sent they said it would take about 15 days for it to go through.  I would call if your points aren’t showing up yet

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 5:22 PM, sunluva said:

When you go to the Bank of America website to cash in your points for OBC, they will ask for your cruise info. Date, ship, reservation #, etc... it will eventually show up in your account. I can't recall how long it takes but someone else may know! 

I wouldn't wait til the last minute to cash-in your points from BOA to RCCL (your account), it's not instant.  I'd try to do it at least two months before embarkation day.  Maybe a little overkill, but the old saying, "what can go wrong, will".  

BTW, my experience with BOA is that they bracket your points that can be cashed-in.  So, you can't cash-in every point.  BTW, I use "cash-in"  but it is actually a transfer.  

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 5:40 PM, sailor05 said:

My experience is they show up in the planner 1-2 weeks after redemption.

I always call the rewards deck to redeem and then ask them to make the transfer to OBC immediate because I want to purchase something through the Cruise Planner.

It is an extra step for them to preform, but they have always done it for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruisegus said:

I always call the rewards deck to redeem and then ask them to make the transfer to OBC immediate because I want to purchase something through the Cruise Planner.

It is an extra step for them to preform, but they have always done it for me.

A very good way to do it, for sure.  And I'm glad it worked for you without incident.  Chances are that's the way it will be.  

But there is Murphy's Law:

I (meaning me, no one else) don't usually like relying on phone customer service types.  A computer is programmed to do this when you do that, no human error or input is required.  Example:  Just 3 days ago, on a Sunday, I wanted to add two people to my already existing booked cruise.  I called to add them (Why?  I couldn't find a way to do it online!).  Without going into detail, that started 8 hours of being on hold, dropped calls, no callbacks, and repeating my experience to far too many people, and repeating it several times to each person.  This was with a "big box" TA.  So, I've made up my mind that I'll "TRY" to remember to use the online options from now on, if available.  And the above is only one example as it is my belief that even post-COVID many of these types are "work at home" employees and not closely monitored, trained, or caring.  Bottom line:  For me, if there is a way to do it online, I'll do it online.  I'm tired of poor customer service.  I don't believe BOA is immune to poor phone customer service, either.  

On 3/19/2023 at 8:42 PM, BTSEN5 said:

We have always called and had them expedited because we like to pre-book all of our excursions and 2 weeks out is not enough time. Hope this is helpful. 

On 3/19/2023 at 5:42 PM, BTSEN5 said:

I have redeemed twice now.  Each time it was at the 14 day mark that they showed up in my cruise planner online.  I wouldn't even bother redeeming until 20 days before cruise time. Honestly, I don't understand why they do it this way.  I wish they'd add it when you redeem them.  I'd like to be able to use it to take advantage of known good sale times.