Largest Ship that sails to Venice

browerjs

What is the largest ship that sails to Venice?  I read that the largest aren't allowed to dock there.  I've only sailed on the larger cruise ships, with the exception of Disney Wonder/Magic, so I'm a little hesitant to trying a smaller (older) ship.

Edited by browerjs

MSC has several ships that port at Venice, but not the old passenger terminal, I think they are using Marghera on the other side of the lagoon.  It is still Venice, technically.

Check out MSC sailings on the Lirica, the Armonia, the Sinfonia.

Viking Sea, Viking Star are listed as using Marghera.

Higher end lines like Silverseas and Seaborne list Venice as a port.  Azamara does as well.

Costa has the Deliziosa, 

Norwegian Gem is also listed at Marghera.

Only extremely small ships (less than 25,000 gross tonnage) are allowed to actually dock IN Venice proper now. Ships such as Windstar.

Even the small ships of Azamara and Oceania are not allowed. 

So if you want the experience of sailing into Venice, then along the Guidecca canal, you will have to book on one of these small ships.

Azamara appear to be using Fusina and Chioggia, industrial ports that are a short distance from Venice. Another option being used by a few lines is Marghera.  Because these are industrial ports, the lines are often processing cruise passengers at the (old) Marittima port in Venice, then transporting them to the actual docking location. Best to check with each line regarding how this is being managed.

image.thumb.png.a7140eaba8b8bced123938474b52d043.png 

Larger ships are mostly now departing from either Trieste, or Ravenna, both of which are quite a distance from Venice (~2 hrs), making it nearly impossible to daytrip effectively to Venice if the ship is in port on a one-day port call. Also has caused some scrambling from lines to provide transportation to and from the ports for those embarking and disembarking.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, browerjs said:

What is the largest ship that sails to Venice?

To dock in Venice proper, as mentioned Windstar, Seadream Yacht Club (which I would highly recommend), Star Clipper line. Its small but there are options. Even the small ship luxury lines like Seabourn or Silversea's ships are considered too large.