Ace Hotel Brooklyn

FritzG

21 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

I have never stayed there. You can walk to the original Jrs Cheesecake Restaurant, so in my book it’s good. lol. Just know it’s in an urban environment. 

Is it a safe area for seniors to walk around in the daytime?  We're only staying one night pre-cruise.

21 minutes ago, FritzG said:

Is it a safe area for seniors to walk around in the daytime?  We're only staying one night pre-cruise.

I have not stayed at this Ace Hotel but have stayed at the Ace Hotel in Manhattan and also the one in Seattle. Since you mentioned you are seniors it is worth mentioning that the brand as a whole is geared towards the very young hipster demographic. The hotels themselves are a bit sparse, louder music pumped through, very small rooms (even for New York and some have bunk beds), boisterous bars right in the lobby etc. They are well run and clean but just know what you are getting into. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, FritzG said:

Well the hotel is in an area that’s being gentrified. The issue is if you’re not used to being in an environment like that you might feel uncomfortable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FritzG said:

Is it a safe area for seniors to walk around in the daytime? We're only staying one night pre-cruise.

Yes, the area is commercial, the sidewalks are reasonably well-maintained, and there is only slight chance that you get into an accident while on the sidewalk that would cause injury, particularly in daytime when everything is well illuminated. Vehicular traffic is generally slow enough that is fairly safe crossing the streets (one block over from the hotel is Fulton Street, which is a transit-only mall, where it is likely even safer with the absence of general traffic on the street). Fairly recently the City of New York began installing count-down pedestrian signals at many intersections, allow one to know how much time remains to cross the street with a green traffic signal, thereby further increasing safety . . . especially for seniors and disabled persons who might walk more slowly and require allocating sufficient time to cross the street safely. New York City is one of the safest cities in the country for pedestrians.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 10:34 AM, FritzG said:

Brooklynite here, Another hotel you might consider is Brooklyn Hilton. It's a few blocks north of Ace Hotel. If you're planning on walking around, it's closer to Brooklyn Bridge pedestrian entrance (if that's something you might want to do- "Hey, can I sell you a bridge" lol ) also near the Brooklyn Heights promenade which overlooks lower Manhattan. I haven't stayed in either hotel and am basing my comments solely on the locations.

9 minutes ago, NotLikeBelleRosen,IHope said:

Brooklynite here, Another hotel you might consider is Brooklyn Hilton. It's a few blocks north of Ace Hotel. If you're planning on walking around, it's closer to Brooklyn Bridge pedestrian entrance (if that's something you might want to do- "Hey, can I sell you a bridge" lol ) also near the Brooklyn Heights promenade which overlooks lower Manhattan. I haven't stayed in either hotel and am basing my comments solely on the locations.

Thanks for the tip.  I think we're changing our plan and switching to a hotel in Williamsburg, possibly the Wythe. 

• Like 1