Something strange with BB King band on Nieuw Statendam

Real NHDOC

We’ve been on our first week and were told initially there was a band member out sick (the female singer) so for the first couple of nights they played abbreviated sets of 30 minutes with 30 minute breaks in between. Basically they played two instrumental numbers and three songs with singing per set. Then both singers were on but still short sets and they seemed to stretch out the songs and played songs at slower tempo than normal which is noticeable when trying to dance to them. On Wednesday night they didn’t sing a single danceable song during the entire set we watched. 

Then last night they skipped the early sets completely because of “participation with the stage show” but in the past this has been limited to one singer and they usually don’t cancel the shows. Their first show was 10pm. 

This band has noticeably less enthusiasm and energy than the band on Rotterdam who was just outstanding in every way.  Hoping things improve but so far the band on Nieuw Statendam has been a bit disappointing. 

And to add another thing - I recall reading some recent reviews of prior cruises mentioning similar issues where they cancelled shows or band members just were missing. Something strange is going on. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

On the Volendam during the second week of March a member of the BB King AllStars passed away.   This might be the reason especially since the allstars are taken from various BB King bands

I think you might be thinking of this ship. It was one of the dancers who died at Curaçao port call early this month. On that cruise they didn’t perform for several nights but that was a couple of weeks ago. While I am sure that was traumatic I can’t imagine they are still so affected by it to be causing this most recent problem. But one thing is for sure, we’ll probably never know the real story. 

9 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

We'll be on NS tomorrow.  Thanks for heads up.

Like I said, I hope they improve. We’re staying on for the next couple of months. We chose these cruises because we enjoy BBK so much usually.

The trumpet player we recognize from prior cruises but none of the other band members are familiar. 

1 minute ago, Real NHDOC said:

Like I said, I hope they improve. We’re staying on for the next couple of months. We chose these cruises because we enjoy BBK so much usually.

The trumpet player we recognize from prior cruises but none of the other band members are familiar. 

We are on for the next 2 weeks, my son & his wife are joining us for the 4/1 leg.  We are not big BBK fans, just hope there is something to keep us entertained.  Maybe we'll see you on board- enjoy the rest of your time on NS.

47 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

I think you might be thinking of this ship. It was one of the dancers who died at Curaçao port call early this month. On that cruise they didn’t perform for several nights but that was a couple of weeks ago. While I am sure that was traumatic I can’t imagine they are still so affected by it to be causing this most recent problem. But one thing is for sure, we’ll probably never know the real story. 

Actually there was a memorial onboard and the Captain was very open about the death 

25 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Actually there was a memorial onboard and the Captain was very open about the death 

I meant we’ll probably never know the reason for the most recent issues with this band. The crew member death was widely and openly discussed as you said. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

I was on NS 3/11 - 3/18 and BB Kings performed their 45-minute shows several times each night (except the 1 night they're off) with both male & female singers.  I have no idea if it's the same people on this week, but the male was slender and not too tall, with dreds in his hair - nice voice, quiet kind of guy.  The female was plus-sized, long braids, beautiful strong voice, moved/danced around very well for a woman her size, lots of smiling.  I don't recall their names, as I only remember them introducing themselves one night.  There wasn't a lot of interaction between them - I think 1 song they sang together one night, otherwise it was just her or just him singing a series of songs until they switched up.  The trumpet player (white guy) and sax player were outstanding musicians and seemed to be really enjoying performing each show.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Banditswife said:

Yes, it might take awhile for them to replace the dancer who died in Curacao-so sad, so they might be using BBK people to fill in there.

I don't see how anyone but a trained dancer could do the Step One routines. Perhaps they can find someone who has just come off a contract who can step in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

There was also sadly a musician who passed away on Volendam a few weeks ago. He was in Ocean Band, not BBKings. 

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

On the Volendam during the second week of March a member of the BB King AllStars passed away.   This might be the reason especially since the allstars are taken from various BB King bands

The musician who passed was in Ocean Band. There's no overlap between musicians of Ocean Band and BB Kings - they are hired, trained and rehearsed by different companies 

1 hour ago, oceangal00 said:

The musician who passed was in Ocean Band. There's no overlap between musicians of Ocean Band and BB Kings - they are hired, trained and rehearsed by different companies 

There may have been both.  That poor sailing witnessed a lot of tragedies.  

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

There may have been both.  That poor sailing witnessed a lot of tragedies.  

Just to clarify- the Ocean Band member was on Volendam. I have friends who were on the ship at the time and was surprised no one mentioned it on this forum. 

Just now, oceangal00 said:

Just to clarify- the Ocean Band member was on Volendam. I have friends who were on the ship at the time and was surprised no one mentioned it on this forum. 

I was on the sailing. 

4 minutes ago, oceangal00 said:

It is so tragic. I just wanted to clear up the misconception that this would have anything to do with BBKing issues on NS. No musicians were transferred between ships.

The first musician who died on ship was a transfer (BbKing All Stars)and had indeed just transferred to the Volendam arriving sick.   The second, who was very ill, though hopefully recovered I personally did not hear the details as to his/her assignment.  

Edited by Mary229

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The first musician who died on ship was a transfer and had indeed just transferred to the Volendam arriving sick.   The second, who was very ill, though hopefully recovered I personally did not hear the details as to his/her assignment.  

I don’t believe two musicians died on Volendam. The one I know of was the guitar player in Ocean Band. Then there was the dancer on NS. Was there another?

2 minutes ago, oceangal00 said:

I don’t believe two musicians died on Volendam. The one I know of was the guitar player in Ocean Band. Then there was the dancer on NS. Was there another?

Someone else was evacuated on the last 2nd to last day of the cruise. Hopefully recovered.  Rumor has it was an entertainment employee. I listened to the Ocean band many nights up to the final night. They were all present from start to finish.

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Someone else was evacuated on the last 2nd to last day of the cruise. Hopefully recovered.  Rumor has it was an entertainment employee. I listened to the Ocean band many nights up to the final night. They were all present from start to finish.

Was there another band that played in Ocean Bar?

4 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

You are staying on the ship for two more months???   Then I need to follow this thread more closely.  You will be onboard the cruise that I, and several others, are taking May 14th.

Have you considered just doing a running review instead of posting separate observations from the ship?  It would be easier for us all to follow.