Live from the MSC Virtuosa 4/7

Lena11033

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Lena11033 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

This was a last minute booking. Originally I was supposed to be going to a convention but things didn't work out and the cost of the cruise was the same as the hotel alone in London so it seemed like a no brainer.

This is my first time on MSC my other cruises have been with Celebrity but 1 the pricing for them is just not always affordable for me as I travel alone and 2 I was looking for a cruise line that was available close to the UK as I didn't want to add more flights in.

My cruise is on Virtuosa and I'm leaving from Southampton. I fly out from Canada to London on March 31st in the evening arriving in London on April 1st. From where I live there are no direct flights so I have a one hour flight to Toronto then from there to London.

I'm staying in London close to where I grew up from the 1st to 6th and then going to Southampton for the night with the cruise leaving on the 7th.
I'm going to be staying in the Yacht Club which when booking was the only one available as it's Easter holidays I'm presuming the other locations are sold out with families traveling.

This cruise is going from Southampton > Hamburg > Rotterdam > Le Havre (this may change due to the protests in France as I've seen a few people who's ports have changed from this last minute).

I did packing on the weekend but now questioning if I have enough as the weather is possibly going to be a bit of everything. I'll probably do a check tonight or tomorrow. I did last minute shopping for shampoo on the weekend (I know hotels etc have free stuff but it doesn't play nicely with my hair) and discovered yesterday I can't find my locks for the suitcase which I had on my cruise a couple of weeks ago so just ordered extra from Amazon which should come today.

Also my AirPods broke yesterday 🙃The nearest Apple store is an 1.5 hour drive which I don't have time for at this point so ordered new ones which should get here tomorrow and will deal with the old ones when I get back as it's still within warranty. 

This week has been busy with work, there is a project that needs me and we're supposed to have 6 weeks, I was told 2 weeks ago a date which was not 6 weeks so asked for 1 more week and was told on Friday no they won't change the date and as there is no one to cover instead of 4-6 weeks to migrate everything I had 4 days. And then deal with the rest of the project when I get back and this is why I don't have time for driving almost 2 hours one way to sort out my headphones last minute 😅

As mentioned before I travel alone, my husband is a home body so he stays home with the kids

The kids:
image.thumb.jpeg.200130cf1d9f0876032d3fbc7c7d42ae.jpeg

Anyway, it's been a really busy few months so I'm looking forward to this trip, total trip is 2 weeks and 1 week will be the cruise itself.

So if people have tips for first time on MSC I'm open to them.

• Like 2

I follow your X cruises and I'll follow this one.  We were in London in Jan/early Feb and we loved it so much.  We stayed at Hampton Waterloo.  We're going back at the end of November and going to Paris for 4 days.  We were supposed to go to Paris for 1 day, but we cancelled as the Eiffel Tower and public transport was on strike.  ( seems like they have a lot of strikes).  

Look forward to following. We'll be on Virtuosa in May for the third time, love the ship. I'm sure you'll have a great time especially as you are travelling in YC which can be a nice relaxing escape when the ship is very busy.

• Like 1

Following these Virtuosa trips.

Be interesting as we did 2 of these outside school holidays that were great.

I suspect you will be grateful of the sanctuary of YC they can get very busy with lots of kids.

There is an Apple store in Southampton in the west quay mall if spending a precruise day.

They start boarding at 10am use your YC fast track to get on the ship early.

Have you picked your hotel in Southampton?

Give yourself extra time for disembarking our cruise did not get into Southampton till noon due to the French strikes and using Amsterdam.

They have avoided delay on other strike dates by using different alternative port.

23 hours ago, calicakes said:

I follow your X cruises and I'll follow this one.  We were in London in Jan/early Feb and we loved it so much.  We stayed at Hampton Waterloo.  We're going back at the end of November and going to Paris for 4 days.  We were supposed to go to Paris for 1 day, but we cancelled as the Eiffel Tower and public transport was on strike.  ( seems like they have a lot of strikes).  

Yeah I'm kind of expecting from recent news that maybe the French stop may be changed but it happens. Heck last summer my Celebrity cruise ports for like 3 days were changed around meaning one of my excursions was completely cancelled because there was not enough time to make it there and back.

20 hours ago, treesah said:

@Lena11033Hope you have a great cruise.  If possible, could you post your impressions of the cruise after you've returned home?  I'll be traveling solo on the Virtuosa in June and perhaps you could provide some ideas for a solo traveler.

Yep I can do that no problem

15 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Following these Virtuosa trips.

Be interesting as we did 2 of these outside school holidays that were great.

I suspect you will be grateful of the sanctuary of YC they can get very busy with lots of kids.

There is an Apple store in Southampton in the west quay mall if spending a precruise day.

They start boarding at 10am use your YC fast track to get on the ship early.

Have you picked your hotel in Southampton?

Give yourself extra time for disembarking our cruise did not get into Southampton till noon due to the French strikes and using Amsterdam.

They have avoided delay on other strike dates by using different alternative port.

yeah I forgot about Easter, when I booked my trip last year to the UK I was just thinking about making it to the convention and less jet lag. Oh well it will be fine but yeah from what I hear YC will be appreciated.

Thanks for the heads up about the boarding, I was looking up if I could board earlier than the time they gave me. I guess its something from covid they probably didn't really change. 

I booked the train from London to Southampton but not the other way. I just figured with the possibilities of delays it wasn't worth risking it or being stressed out. I figured I should be able to just get a ticket once I know when I'm getting off the ship.

It's the day before my flight, I've wrapped up everything I can at work. I've booked a meeting with my team to remind them again with everything with the project and pretty much it's hope for the best and deal with everything on the 17th April 😅

I got my head phones they came an hour ago which was cutting it close, yesterday UPS it was showing as delayed but at the airport a few hours away after being shipped from the US.

This morning consisted of last minute things like picking up medication from the vet as one of the dogs has epilepsy. Filling up the car with petrol/gas and then picking up alcohol and groceries for my husband (he'll probably still order food in but at least he's starting with a salad).

I've done my check in for my flight for tomorrow. Forecast right now has rain for the whole day its saying 15-20mm but most seems to be overnight right now and the flight is 6pm and then 10pm.

Last few months at work have been really busy and with this project it's made it x10 that so really looking forward to disconnecting from work.

So right now watching some cruising videos on YouTube with a gin and tonic. Tomorrow morning will do one last check of suite case (I feel like I take too much but always worried if I don't take it I'll need it). Also packing the last few things to go in like hair straightener, brush etc and then that's it with heading off to the airport - husband is driving he's been trying to get out of it again but it's like a 20 min drive in the country 🙃

• Like 1

I look forward to your report. It will make me think back to a wonderful time a week ago on the Virtuosa and your very different perspective will make it interesting.

But most importantly, I wish you a wonderful trip with unforgettable moments 🙂

• Like 1

Have a great trip Lena. I’m following along. Also, just got off the ship this time last week! We’ve been onboard four times so just ask any questions. We have sailed mostly in YC so again, if you think of anything- get in touch! It’s a beautiful ship. I recommend the silent disco and the paid for shows in Carousel lounge. (Cheaper of booked in advance).

I also love the treats available in the evenings in the Top Sail Lounge! 😋

Enjoy! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Have a great trip Lena. I’m following along. Also, just got off the ship this time last week! We’ve been onboard four times so just ask any questions. We have sailed mostly in YC so again, if you think of anything- get in touch! It’s a beautiful ship. I recommend the silent disco and the paid for shows in Carousel lounge. (Cheaper of booked in advance).

I also love the treats available in the evenings in the Top Sail Lounge! 😋

Enjoy! 

thanks for the info I did book one maybe I’ll do the other. Is it easy to do from the app? I don’t have access to a computer anymore. I decided I wasn’t bringing my work laptop save space in luggage for clothes lol

Yesterday was travel day and it was hectic. It started with me waking up to a email of ‘your flight may be impacted by weather’. 
Work was well interesting I was told a third project is being launched which I’m responsible for and launching while I’m gone. Oh well good luck 😆

Got to the airport two hours ahead like they said. The previous flight was on time but then departure time came and went. Ended up being delayed an hour causing us to be delayed an hour all because lack of ground crew and they put luggage on the wrong plane first. 
Got to Toronto and another 15 mins once landed to get us to a place to open the plane and let us off about half the flight we’re running for a connecting flight. I had booked a flight with a three hour connection so at this point had an hour and a half. I went to the lounge for 30 mins before boarding. Got to the gate for boarding and they kept us waiting for almost 45 mins before boarding started. 

Finally boarded and on my way. We ended up making up lost time being only ten mins late but had no sleep on the plane as there was turbulence the whole way. Heathrow I think is pretty easy to get through, get to the border scan my passport and go collect my bag. I took Heathrow express and then a cab as I was too tired to drag around my bags. 

once at the hotel while waiting to check in the hostess gave my Prosecco which I’m not going to argue about. Have my room and unpack most my clothes some are specifically for the ship so left them in the bag and then headed out to grab a sandwich and top up for my UK SIM card. I was going to go Camden but I’m exhausted so just trying to stay awake at this point 

dogs seem better today. Yesterday the youngest kept waiting for me by the door 😭

5E089400-A8F0-4D69-9931-939843F6E648.jpeg

8A03F260-A97E-4B6B-92FA-A550DBB01F66.png

323F70A8-452A-49C9-8274-130DB2B6B460.jpeg

1896C41F-7904-496F-8F6B-2BFA863CC192.jpeg

F800C6C9-46DA-44F0-A9AF-F5CC0E931E82.jpeg

9E50D55A-1C57-4C6C-80E1-1A112F1D248C.jpeg

0ED89CBB-FBFA-4E36-A446-6E9FF9D7B79C.jpeg

4CF0FC1C-B282-471B-BB6D-540F2AFCCFC5.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, calicakes said:

Awww, the sweet pup picture breaks my heart!!  

I just got off a FaceTime with my husband. Our dog with epilepsy was happy to see me but the youngest (one from the camera) wouldn’t even look at me. He is mad lol

He will forgive me when I get home 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

thanks for the info I did book one maybe I’ll do the other. Is it easy to do from the app?

I just looked on my app for forthcoming cruise on Virtuosa in October but cannot see the shows to book. You could have a look on yours. If not there, you can always book with your concierge. The concierge desk in YC can help you with all bookings, internet queries (connecting etc) and an other help you may need.

if you like the show you booked you can always book the other. It’s only a few € more. If you like one show- you’ll like the other one. 
You get good seats if in YC! Enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks I’ll go by concierge when I board then. 

After the night of turbulence on the plane I was in bed yesterday at 9pm and woke up when my Apple Watch was reminding me to stand (forgot to adjust sleep) so ended up sleeping 9.5 hours. 

Today I took a walk along the Thames which was interesting as there was a race on so trying to cross the road was like frogger. After that did some shopping on Oxford st (I love the look of the Elton John items at Selfridges but not for £50 an t shirt) I had lunch then headed back to the hotel for some rest. Later headed out to dinner at a restaurant near the hotel called Dishoom, I had a booking for 5pm and people in front of me were already being told they had a hour wait for a table. I have one night I haven’t booked dinner so will remember that I’ll either go to a market or need to book something in advance. I had a murgh malai and chocolate pudding, the pudding was more like a spicy lava cake but delicious none the less
After dinner took a small walk along the Regents canal before heading back to call my husband (puppy is now not ignoring me yay)

D0B18F5B-4283-43DA-BADC-A78A89DAF71C.jpeg

B1012E5F-5671-4023-83C4-C826694A0EAD.jpeg

4AA6D61F-55D0-4623-8A98-212CB4D75F82.jpeg

0983EAEF-FCD2-4BBC-874F-C8B2529243DF.jpeg

C91D443E-FF19-4387-8832-88B103C64013.jpeg

6C3E29FC-7C8D-4F90-8C33-14EBDEB03294.jpeg

1A48272D-2AE1-4633-975F-BC52B61F7EE1.jpeg

• Like 4

Last couple of days have been me taking it easy, walking, seeing areas I grew up with, shopping and eating (really going to have to be good when I get home).

I heard this week Le Havre was taken off the route due to strikes so will see if they still have it next week on my cruise. 

Monday was Covent garden/Leicester square and shopping then out for dinner. 

yesterday I woke up late (been tired from all the walking) so went to borough market then walked along the Thames. After I walked along Regents canal to Camden for lunch and a walk around which I’ll probably go back to this morning as it was packed due to school holidays. I didn’t feel like going out for dinner so grabbed sushi and came back to my room to eat. 

42ADFDC5-5399-4AF1-A980-AF5F4EDECFE7.jpeg

8532CA41-052F-4467-857A-B82E280407A9.jpeg

E0E84189-C91F-41A7-8F50-F7E2DECF39F5.jpeg

F7CC2147-EF6B-46CC-9D54-82009BEC3E96.jpeg

D4F9F7AC-3B03-4FEB-82D3-7710357A79F1.jpeg

7120071D-08D9-41A4-BB8C-22B6C0EDC0D4.jpeg

EF26A5A9-D082-4B14-BCF5-8AD4790E3BD5.jpeg

66ACBFC4-70B9-4C4D-BB9C-F17FF7C6CBFB.jpeg

BD60685B-E7C2-4782-9580-FBF702ADD7CA.jpeg

61C4A488-4600-49B9-B440-DDA5648E781D.jpeg

3D4A8E12-2504-410E-B2C8-1E20235A5F53.jpeg

• Like 2

How fun. I'm re-living my january London trip through your pictures. Borough market was my favorite, we went twice,one on an official food tour. There is some amazing food in that market. If you go again, try the humble crumble.

I did go humble crumble, not sure I’ll have time to go back it’s going to depend on what time I get back to London next week. I have a couple of food items I want to pick up before my flight on Saturday (chocolate and macrons). Plus wanted to go back to the Harry Potter store I found but if not it’s not a big deal I did at least get something. 

this morning I checked out Renaissance St Pancras hotel and took a cab to Waterloo (I looked at Uber prices but was more expensive when I checked). The guy dropped me off at the platform level once he looked at my suitcases 😆

honestly they aren’t bad but I haven’t packed the best. I packed so I only had to open my carry on bag today and tomorrow morning not a pack for long travel. I took the train from Waterloo I think when I bought in advance was $20 Canadian. I haven’t booked return ticket because of departing the ship I can’t guarantee how long it’s going to take to get off so figured after I’ll just go and buy the ticket then even though more expensive. 
FYI if taking the train there is no where for big suitcases so was on the seat next to me and Southampton train station has renovations so when you get off at platform 4 you need to go over to platform 1 to get a taxi (the lift is temperamental so don’t stand near the front it doesn’t like it). Taxi to my hotel cost £6.60. Now I’m settled into Moxy hotel for the night and have a free drink at the bar waiting. Need to figure out dinner as I don’t really feel like going out so will see what the bar has if nothing I like will just Uber eats it. 

310255DB-312B-4565-A489-88DD2E7EA6B0.jpeg

E31A3DBB-C560-4613-9862-3B0EC97806CF.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

I did go humble crumble, not sure I’ll have time to go back it’s going to depend on what time I get back to London next week. I have a couple of food items I want to pick up before my flight on Saturday (chocolate and macrons). Plus wanted to go back to the Harry Potter store I found but if not it’s not a big deal I did at least get something. 

this morning I checked out Renaissance St Pancras hotel and took a cab to Waterloo (I looked at Uber prices but was more expensive when I checked). The guy dropped me off at the platform level once he looked at my suitcases 😆

honestly they aren’t bad but I haven’t packed the best. I packed so I only had to open my carry on bag today and tomorrow morning not a pack for long travel. I took the train from Waterloo I think when I bought in advance was $20 Canadian. I haven’t booked return ticket because of departing the ship I can’t guarantee how long it’s going to take to get off so figured after I’ll just go and buy the ticket then even though more expensive. 
FYI if taking the train there is no where for big suitcases so was on the seat next to me and Southampton train station has renovations so when you get off at platform 4 you need to go over to platform 1 to get a taxi (the lift is temperamental so don’t stand near the front it doesn’t like it). Taxi to my hotel cost £6.60. Now I’m settled into Moxy hotel for the night and have a free drink at the bar waiting. Need to figure out dinner as I don’t really feel like going out so will see what the bar has if nothing I like will just Uber eats it. 

310255DB-312B-4565-A489-88DD2E7EA6B0.jpeg

E31A3DBB-C560-4613-9862-3B0EC97806CF.jpeg

Not long now then! All very exciting! Did you travel with hand luggage and a big case or less than that? I used to take big cases but now we get the train, I have learned to pack in a small suitcase that is acceptable as a cabin bag. 

• Like 1