Cruise Connect from Scotland (Edinburgh)

earn

Can anyone who has used this service for a P&O cruise give us a short review, please?   When is the usual pick up and where?  Are the buses comfortable or is it a bit like being on a BA economy transatlantic flight 😂.  

We did this last year and wouldn’t do again .Coach and driver were lovely .We didn’t arrive in Southampton till 3.50pm .

Coming back we were transferred from a small bus to another terminal to pick up our coach .Long delays .

Cruise connect seem to pick up all P& O Princess and Cunard passengers on one coach ,so check which ships are in port that day .We dropped off Princess passengers before we went to our berth .

Just our experience .Happy cruising .

I agree with the above comments. We have done this journey from Newcastle and although the coaches have been good the journey is long and the return journey is always a nightmare. We have always encountered delays in picking up passengers from another terminal as despite being assured that they will be ready to board this was never the case. Although we are not cruising at present when we return we will go by train the day before and send our luggage ahead using a courier service - is this an option for you?

• Like 1

Regarding Cruise Connect, we have had a number of cruises on P&O. Whichever berth they are in the coaches are parked there ready.As other ships are berthed far apart passengers from other berths do not come in. On all our coaches it has always been just the passengers from the ship in that berth where the coaches are waiting that board the bus. Maybe it has something to do with running to Scotland or the number of people wanting to return to Edinburgh.

I do the same journey - but only by train.   I don't fly and the thought of sitting in a bus for that long doesn't do me any favours.  I set up train ticket alerts for their release and definitely doing down the day before.

Edinburgh - Birmingham New Street, then New Street to Southampton Central

Forgot to say the usual pick up for Edinburgh is the St,Andrews square bus station .I think 2.15am .Glasgow is 3.15am .

47 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Regarding Cruise Connect, we have had a number of cruises on P&O. Whichever berth they are in the coaches are parked there ready.As other ships are berthed far apart passengers from other berths do not come in. On all our coaches it has always been just the passengers from the ship in that berth where the coaches are waiting that board the bus. Maybe it has something to do with running to Scotland or the number of people wanting to return to Edinburgh.

Last year we went from Preston to Bolton to pick up one lady and she was doing a Princess cruise ..Then we went to Burtonwood ? There was minibus waiting that had brought folks from Liverpool .

Felt sorry for the driver .

Thank you everyone.  That’s great info and pretty much what I thought.  I remember getting the bus to London as a student and that was bad enough then 😂. We’ll take the car and stop half way overnight. Train is an option but with all the strikes etc, I’m not so sure.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, earn said:

Thank you everyone.  That’s great info and pretty much what I thought.  I remember getting the bus to London as a student and that was bad enough then 😂. We’ll take the car and stop half way overnight. Train is an option but with all the strikes etc, I’m not so sure.

Doing the same myself from Glasgow, the bus would probably sufferable if coach went straight to Southampton then it would be about 7 hours but with all the pick up's it takes way too long.

I will never be driving to Southampton agan.  We have done it three times but the last time was a complete mare.   Literally from the outskirts of Southampton to the Lakes my average speed was 33 mph.  After the lakes it was OK.  It was stop stop all the way.

This year we are flying Edinburgh Southampton day before and back via Heathrow.

We returned yesterday and took the coach from Newcastle. No pick up/off on either journey. Two drivers on each so no hanging around for rest periods. So easy. Flying no good because of luggage, and I don't think I will ever risk a train again 

• Like 1

We either drive down the day before (from Lancashire) or get the coach from Preston which is what we will be doing in May for our Arcadia Fjords cruise. I enjoy coach travel and have never had any problems, yes there are a few pick up and drop off points but it's all part of the holiday experience.

Something to consider is driving down to the Newcastle pickup point, which is actually Washington Services on the A1. There are two hotels just behind the service station where you can stay overnight. Then take the coach from there. It leaves at 6:00 am and is usually at Southampton around 2 ish if not before. The ones I have been on usually pick up around 4 people at Scotch Corner (other passengers don't get off). A 10 minute stop for more passengers and a quick toilet/coffee run. Then a lunch break 30-45 minutes.

Coming back we usually arrive at Washington just before 5:00 pm. You would though have to get your cases over the other side of the A1 with stairs involved to get back to the hotel.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:53 PM, earn said:

I haven't used this service but the thought of 12 hours on a coach gives me the fear.  We drive down from Perth the day before and stop a the Premier Inn Didcot for the night. That gives us an hour or so to drive in the morning.