Scooter questions, any tips from experienced cruisers?

Just a warning for everyone using a scooter for the first time on a ship.   

You are not allowed to leave the scooter in the hallway, outside your cabin. Leaving the scooter in the hallway is against the 'SOLAS' rules.

If you do leave your scooter in the hallway ship security will have a chat with you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yet another rule that seems to be selectively enforced 😞 We were on Radiance OTS in January and there were scooters parked (overnight) all over the place. NOT blocking the halls, but in the corners of the hall and in the Centrum "overlooks". 

YMMV

2 hours ago, GJustice said:

Yet another rule that seems to be selectively enforced 😞 We were on Radiance OTS in January and there were scooters parked (overnight) all over the place. NOT blocking the halls, but in the corners of the hall and in the Centrum "overlooks". 

YMMV

They can be left in areas where they're not blocking traffic, they just can't be left in hallways where people walk past.  

• Thanks 1

They've been in the hallways of the Anthem lately as well. I guess,SOLAS doesn't mean anything to the hotel director or customer service. My wife is a stroke survivor and needs a scooter. There were a few times we could not get to our room because  her scooter was parked in the hallway in front of her room.

1 hour ago, mets123 said:

They've been in the hallways of the Anthem lately as well. I guess,SOLAS doesn't mean anything to the hotel director or customer service. My wife is a stroke survivor and needs a scooter. There were a few times we could not get to our room because  her scooter was parked in the hallway in front of her room.

I would be inclined to switch stray scooters to push mode and move them out of the way, assuming you are able-bodied and could do so.  If people have to figure out where their scooter moved to, they might be more inclined to put in their room next time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gluecksbaer said:

I would be inclined to switch stray scooters to push mode and move them out of the way, assuming you are able-bodied and could do so.  If people have to figure out where their scooter moved to, they might be more inclined to put in their room next time.

My wife is in a scooter, not me. I'm well aware of that trick. Somehow the scooter wound up blocking her door. I wonder who did that?

8 hours ago, mets123 said:

My wife is in a scooter, not me. I'm well aware of that trick. Somehow the scooter wound up blocking her door. I wonder who did that?

You said "we could not get to our room" which implied that you were present at the time, but I didn't want to assume that you were capable of pushing the scooter out of the way just because you weren't the one using one yourself.

I'm actually a little bit confused about whose scooter was blocking whose door as it seems like someone else's scooter was blocking your door but you refer to "our room" but "her scooter" and "her room" without explaining who "she" is.  But I don't understand how your wife wouldn't have noticed her scooter leaving the room without her so this seems like it is someone else' scooter that you could have just pushed out of the way.

12 hours ago, gluecksbaer said:

You said "we could not get to our room" which implied that you were present at the time, but I didn't want to assume that you were capable of pushing the scooter out of the way just because you weren't the one using one yourself.

I'm actually a little bit confused about whose scooter was blocking whose door as it seems like someone else's scooter was blocking your door but you refer to "our room" but "her scooter" and "her room" without explaining who "she" is.  But I don't understand how your wife wouldn't have noticed her scooter leaving the room without her so this seems like it is someone else' scooter that you could have just pushed out of the way.

???????????

On 4/3/2023 at 9:34 AM, mets123 said:

We just came off the Anthem 3/19. I use a scooter, and had a standard balcony and I drove the scooter in and out of our cabin. I’ve used my scooter on many cruises, and I usually removed the armrests to fit easily through the doorway, but on Anthem I was able to leave armrests on. Most people who use scooters should be aware of the rules that you can’t leave your scooter outside of your cabin. It’s a safety issue. Maybe those folks who need to rent a scooter aren’t really aware of that rule. Our steward made mention of the rule to me, and I’ve had one or two stewards on other ships mention it too just in case I wasn’t aware. On our recent cruise, we didn’t see any scooters outside of our cabins, but we too have seen them before.

My husband just got his own scooter 2 weeks ago.   He can walk some but not far.  I've checked with airline and know they will transport the scooter, etc.  We are flying into FLL for cruise on Apr 30 for cruise leaving May 1.  Can anyone give me advice on how to transport scooter and us to hotel and then to port?

7 hours ago, velmasue said:

My husband just got his own scooter 2 weeks ago.   He can walk some but not far.  I've checked with airline and know they will transport the scooter, etc.  We are flying into FLL for cruise on Apr 30 for cruise leaving May 1.  Can anyone give me advice on how to transport scooter and us to hotel and then to port?

Many scooters can be broken down to four or five pieces in a matter of minutes and be put back together just as fast. At that point, they can be easily transported in a trunk of a vehicle. Is his model like that?

8 hours ago, velmasue said:

If his scooter can't be easily broken down to fit into a trunk, you can request a "wheelchair accessible" taxi that he can drive his scooter into (they put down a ramp).  The person in charge of the taxi-stand at the airport can set that up for you (if there's a line, have your husband keep your place in line while you go off to the side to give the person in charge heads-up that you need an accessible taxi -- he'll probably have to call one in).

You can also get the cab company's number from your taxi driver and you can call and schedule a pick-up at your hotel on embarkation day and again for pickup at the port at the end of your cruise.  

If the scooter is easily dismantled (to put into a trunk), you can use any regular transportation method -- cab, Uber/Lyft, shuttle bus.  I would just tip a few extra dollars to the driver for the loss of their time while you're dismantling the scooter and for handling all the extra pieces of "luggage".  

• Like 1