Tracy Arm Fjords + other Alaska help.

EmilyJay

We are debating between a cruise excursion to Tracy Arm Fjords or something else. The excursion is very expensive (for us) and are debating whether we go for it as we may never go again or if anyone has any other recommendations. Originally we were thinking just doing Mendenhall Glacier but really like the look of Tracy Arm Fjords. 

I've had a look for independent excursions but have only come across 1 which is not in line with our docking time. (12pm-10pm)

Any help and advice is welcome!! 

Other help.... Wifi.

How available is wifi in Juneau, Skagway, Sitka + Victoria? Coming from overseas so using data isn't included in our phone package except for an extra charge. Literally just want to check in all is ok at home so nothing major. 

Thanks.

The Tracy Arm excursion is worth ever $$$ and is going to be far better than going to Mendenhall glacier, that is unless you plan on doing Mendenhall via helicopter and landing on the glacier.

Going to Mendenhall glacier from Juneau (via bus, taxi) is incredibly underwhelming. It has retreated quite a bit. Some enjoy the hike to Nugget Falls but I will take the Tracy Arm excursion over Mendenhall any day (even given the cost).

Usually the Tracy Arm excursion fills up - I would sign up ASAP.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, EmilyJay said:

Other help.... Wifi.

How available is wifi in Juneau, Skagway, Sitka + Victoria? Coming from overseas so using data isn't included in our phone package except for an extra charge. Literally just want to check in all is ok at home so nothing major. 

Thanks.

Wi-Fi is good in Juneau, Sitka, and Victoria.  Skagway - don't even try.  Cell service is also dismal in Skagway unless they've improved it post-Covid.  Easiest way to get Wi-Fi in Alaska is to go into a bar and order a drink, even a coke, and they'll give you the Wi-Fi password.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Taken last summer in Tracy Arm - South Sawyer, North Sawyer, icebergs, and waterfall with mountain goat.

image.thumb.jpeg.01ef9657640a14f0d7ec0cf15ed8fdeb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.72ab3e4bdedc77540b04e2c9c7e43c67.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf3d613a27964342afef772066030ce8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.89ac249d67beb15c78b33818fa23ec35.jpeg

Just WOW! Was this a ship excursion and what type of boat were you on for this excursion? 

Edited by EmilyJay

14 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Wi-Fi is good in Juneau, Sitka, and Victoria.  Skagway - don't even try.  Cell service is also dismal in Skagway unless they've improved it post-Covid.  Easiest way to get Wi-Fi in Alaska is to go into a bar and order a drink, even a coke, and they'll give you the Wi-Fi password.

Thanks for this info! Juneau + Victoria are the places Wi-Fi would be ideal, will happily purchase a drink to just be able to check in at home and to make sure our flight home is all good. 

50 minutes ago, EmilyJay said:

Just WOW! Was this a ship excursion and what type of boat were you on for this excursion? 

I was on a small ship that went up to the glaciers and then we went out in zodiacs to play.

• Like 2

The Tracy Arm excursion is one of the best I've taken.  Pictures don't do it justice.    I've been twice and actually prefer an overcast day for the colors.  Depending on the time of year, you may see harbor seals on the ice floes.

• Like 3

I am in port 9-9 July 16th and can't find a tour for Tracy Arm, any input? Allen Marine leaves at 9am, Adventure Bound at 8am and Celebrity isn't offering anything. As of now we have a hiking tour in Mendenhall and the Taku Glacier Sea Plane booked but if I could get to Tracy Arm, I'd cancel both of those. 

Thanks, Patty 

Edited by cw2go

1 hour ago, cw2go said:

I am in port 9-9 July 16th and can't find a tour for Tracy Arm, any input? Allen Marine leaves at 9am, Adventure Bound at 8am and Celebrity isn't offering anything. As of now we have a hiking tour in Mendenhall and the Taku Glacier Sea Plane booked but if I could get to Tracy Arm, I'd cancel both of those. 

Thanks, Patty 

Probably not. I book a cruise around being able to do this excursion.

If you can get a good enough sized group - AdventureBound has a 2nd vessel I believe (they used to). I know once on a roll call - they got enough people together on their roll call to commit that they left later on a second boat and they had their own group.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Sweetwatergal said:

I have heard that the Tracy Arm tour round trip from Juneau takes most of the day and most of the time is spent getting to/from Juneau. Is it still worth the $$$?

The travel time includes a box lunch so the time passes quickly.   There is a pause to see the sea lions enroute to Tracy Arm.

As a hobby photographer, this excursion is definitely worth the cost with its sea lions, whales, harbor seals, waterfalls, and floating ice chunks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sweetwatergal said:

I have heard that the Tracy Arm tour round trip from Juneau takes most of the day and most of the time is spent getting to/from Juneau. Is it still worth the $$$?

Yes it does take all day. The one I go with is 8-6. Though I think we are in port until 9:15.

For me - it is worth it. I have done it multiple times.

I am not big into shopping in Juneau. I find Mendenhall underwhelming.

7 hours ago, seagunthera said:

Interested in this excursion as well. Has anyone ever seen whales enroute to Tracy Arm?

The times I have gone - yes. One time, I saw far more whales than I have on whale watching trips - we probably saw 15 orcas all at once. Nothing is guaranteed. I have also seen 1 bear each time.

Edited by Coral

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

The travel time includes a box lunch so the time passes quickly.   There is a pause to see the sea lions enroute to Tracy Arm.

As a hobby photographer, this excursion is definitely worth the cost with its sea lions, whales, harbor seals, waterfalls, and floating ice chunks.

The trip I go on - you can bring your own food or for a modest amount, they will make you a sandwich (you choose lunch meat, cheese and toppings) and have chips and drinks to buy.

I find the time passes by somewhat quickly also. People will bring a book or music to listen to. We have also stopped for any wildlife, etc... Yes - waterfalls and ice.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:33 AM, cw2go said:

Thanks, Patty 

Check with Allen Marine - see if they will wait for you. AdventureBound will wait for those who dock at 8.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Coral said:

Check with Allen Marine - see if they will wait for you. AdventureBound will wait for those who dock at 8.

Thanks for your help, I actually called them a few weeks ago. No luck.

I sailed through Tracy Arm years ago so this time I am just going with the Taku is all new to us approach.

Like you I get out of port as much as possible. I have a cruise booked for July 2024 with a Juneau port time 7-9:30 ~ I'll eventually make it work 😊

Patty 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Like you I get out of port as much as possible. I have a cruise booked for July 2024 with a Juneau port time 7-9:30 ~ I'll eventually make it work 😊

Those are awesome times!

• Thanks 1

I'm so bummed that the Celebrity excursion at Tracy Arm is sold out (hoping someone cancels). We are going in early June and only there from 1:30 pm to 10 pm. Is that enough time? Too cold? 🙂 Love seeing all the pictures!

6 hours ago, Debbierpof said:

I'm so bummed that the Celebrity excursion at Tracy Arm is sold out (hoping someone cancels). We are going in early June and only there from 1:30 pm to 10 pm. Is that enough time? Too cold? 🙂 Love seeing all the pictures!

You would have to do it via ship. The 2 companies that do it from Juneau - your times do not work. These 1:30 or 2 pm to 10 pm schedules are not great in Juneau.