Walk off at Galveston

What time is realistic to walk off the ship with our bags in Galveston? We are thinking of catching a 930 flight from Hobby. Currently we are on 11 o’clock but hoping to get the 930. Thoughts? Thanks.

Hubby has done walk off 3 x in last 2 months. Off the ship and in the car by 7:30-7:45. That's parking in the North Lot Premium or North Lot without having to wait on or take a shuttle. I think a 9:30 flight is unrealistic with traffic, security and boarding. Why put so much stress on yourselves? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ace1zoe2 said:

Hubby has done walk off 3 x in last 2 months. Off the ship and in the car by 7:30-7:45. That's parking in the North Lot Premium or North Lot without having to wait on or take a shuttle. I think a 9:30 flight is unrealistic with traffic, security and boarding. Why put so much stress on yourselves? 

We are just exploring. Our 11 o’clock is already booked, and we don’t want to stress out. Our daughter has an event at school that she would love to make it to, but it’s not really that important. If we could walk off at 6:30 we would probably be fine but 730 would be pushing it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ace1zoe2 said:

Agree. They ask you to check into your flight 2 hours ahead and houston isnt that close. That's assuming a perfect time shuttle experience and taxi not allowed into the port to line up .. unfortunately. I would take a taxi myself but they arent in the new terminal. 

40 minutes ago, clover18 said:

We are just exploring. Our 11 o’clock is already booked, and we don’t want to stress out. Our daughter has an event at school that she would love to make it to, but it’s not really that important. If we could walk off at 6:30 we would probably be fine but 730 would be pushing it.

There is no 6:30 am walk off times. I'm onboard radiance and did allure. 7:30 if nothing goes wrong is the current time earliest to walk off. Key and suites get off first. 

If things go great 7:15 am might be possible. 

Last month we walked off the ship and were waiting for the shuttle before 8:00 AM.  The shuttle stopped a Hobby first and it was around 9:00 AM.  I don't think you'll be able to make a 9:30 flight.

Also, you never know about the fog in Galveston. It was foggy the weekend before we left on the cruise and that caused some arrival delays.  Good luck and happy cruising.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the flight before yours isn't full, airlines will usually let you on the earlier as standby.   You likely would be middle seats apart from each other, but you could keep that in mind as an option if you are able to get there early enough.  

10 hours ago, clover18 said:

Thanks for all the replies. Taking an Uber to hobby from port and sticking with our 11:00 flight. 

Uber does not yet have port privileges, so not really an option.  Lyft will be sky-high ($250 or so to Hobby) at that time (and the addition of Uber in May (?) is unlikely to change it much).  Do a shuttle service like Galveston Express instead.

Uber/Lyft FROM Houston TO Galveston works fine, because there are lots of such drivers in Houston.  Uber/Lyft FROM Galveston TO Houston is a disaster from 8 to 11 a.m. because there are not many drivers in Galveston.

Edited by DavidMutchler

7 hours ago, DavidMutchler said:

Uber does not yet have port privileges, so not really an option.  Lyft will be sky-high ($250 or so to Hobby) at that time (and the addition of Uber in May (?) is unlikely to change it much).  Do a shuttle service like Galveston Express instead.

Uber/Lyft FROM Houston TO Galveston works fine, because there are lots of such drivers in Houston.  Uber/Lyft FROM Galveston TO Houston is a disaster from 8 to 11 a.m. because there are not many drivers in Galveston.

I saw a post as of 2 or 3 weeks ago uber does have privileges. They paid the terminal. Seen it posted several times. My uber driver had no issues dropping me off. .. we will see today picking me up.

42 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I saw a post as of 2 or 3 weeks ago uber does have privileges. They paid the terminal. Seen it posted several times. My uber driver had no issues dropping me off. .. we will see today picking me up.

Thanks for the update.  Please do let us know your experience with the Uber pickup today.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, DavidMutchler said:

Thanks for the update.  Please do let us know your experience with the Uber pickup today.  Thanks!

Good and bad though uber was great. 

It said walk off 730, but we docked late. I am not good so thought I'd schedule a set time and pay more. Time kept getting pushed back. Scheduled a over optimistic 7;45 am. I coukdnt find a way to change the time. Finally at 645 am says I can cancel and rebook 1 hour ahead ..its now 1 hour and 1 minute.

I was able to message him and tipped a extra $20 to wait 5 or 10 minutes extra. .. on top of a higher fare for setting a time but my uber guy was waiting at the curb at the terminal. We were on our way before 8 am. Live and learn. Next time I'll pick a later time  .I wasnt smart. 

We docked late. And then because we went to Panama had to show passports, couldnt do facial recognition. People on my roll call still complaining about the terminal. .. wasnt their fault. 

Uber guy was parked right at the curb waiting for me. He was great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2023 at 1:30 PM, clover18 said:

Thanks for all the replies. Taking an Uber to hobby from port and sticking with our 11:00 flight. 

Hoping you don't mind reporting back if it worked.  Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Good and bad though uber was great. 

It said walk off 730, but we docked late. I am not good so thought I'd schedule a set time and pay more. Time kept getting pushed back. Scheduled a over optimistic 7;45 am. I coukdnt find a way to change the time. Finally at 645 am says I can cancel and rebook 1 hour ahead ..its now 1 hour and 1 minute.

I was able to message him and tipped a extra $20 to wait 5 or 10 minutes extra. .. on top of a higher fare for setting a time but my uber guy was waiting at the curb at the terminal. We were on our way before 8 am. Live and learn. Next time I'll pick a later time  .I wasnt smart. 

We docked late. And then because we went to Panama had to show passports, couldnt do facial recognition. People on my roll call still complaining about the terminal. .. wasnt their fault. 

Uber guy was parked right at the curb waiting for me. He was great. 

How much was it? 

7 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

How much was it? 

$26.53 plus the $20 tip to wait for me. Otherwise I'd have been charged and missed the ride. 

I'd guess 3 miles. I never tried the book the time in advance before. Was a very nice car, very clean. A taxi is over $25 last one I took. 

Actually it was worth it as those that got off later said it was a mess. Facial recognition and docking late, they said not enough porters when everyone got off at once. ...and looked like rain.

20230406_184604766.jpeg

• Thanks 1