Hotel in Santa Monica vs Marina del Rey

the mice

Flying into LAX on the night of Oct. 31, cruising out on Nov.3, so a 2 day/3 night stay.  Plan to pick up rental from Hertz, go to the Petersen Automotive Museum and the Getty on one day, no definite plans for the other full day.  We aren't beach people (as in swimming) but enjoy walks along any shoreside promenades.  

Would like to use points for our stay (have Marriott, Hilton, IHG, as well as Radisson). Thought we would stay in Santa Monica, but noticed that hotels in Marina del Rey require a lot fewer points and/or $$.     

If we stayed in Santa Monica, I'm leaning toward the Santa Monica Proper, a Design Hotel, as my best Marriott option.  The Delfina is not available for our dates/

Would appreciate any local advice on one location over the other.  ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the mice said:

Plan to pick up rental from Hertz, go to the Petersen Automotive Museum and the Getty on one day, no definite plans for the other full day.

Sounds like a fun first day-- the Petersen is fantastic.

We aren't beach people (as in swimming) but enjoy walks along any shoreside promenades.  

Santa Monica has A LOT more going on than Marina del Rey. More restaurants, shops, bars, hotels, etc. 

Would like to use points for our stay (have Marriott, Hilton, IHG, as well as Radisson). Thought we would stay in Santa Monica, but noticed that hotels in Marina del Rey require a lot fewer points and/or $$.

Honestly the only reason I would opt for Marina del Rey with Marriott Bonvoy was if I got a good deal with $$ or points and was going to stay at the Ritz Carlton, which is nice, but still a bit dated. Otherwise it would be Santa Monica without even hesitating. 

If we stayed in Santa Monica, I'm leaning toward the Santa Monica Proper, a Design Hotel, as my best Marriott option.  The Delfina is not available for our dates/

Would appreciate any local advice on one location over the other.

The Proper, while I've never stayed there, is in a decent location, gets great reviews, and is walkable down Wilshire to the beach and promenade. Occasionally you can find a decent deal at the Fairmont Miramar which is along the same street as the Proper but in a better location-- that's always been a favorite. You can transfer points from Capital One into Accor to book free nights at the Fairmont or through a bunch of airlines. 

Hilton doesn't have super exciting options in my opinion in Santa Monica and IGH + Hyatt have hardly anything at all. 

Santa Monica has some fun independent hotels like Shutters on the Beach, Casa Del Mar, and The Georgian-- all of which tend to be very pricey except for The Georgian which is a bit more moderate. Shutters and the Fairmont Miramar are my favorite hotels in town if money were no object and you can also book them on points through Amex. 

I think if The Proper was what you were thinking your head is in the right place but you now at least have a little bit of a lay of the land. Definitely really consider staying in Santa Monica over Marina del Rey though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

Sounds like a fun first day-- the Petersen is fantastic.

Santa Monica has A LOT more going on than Marina del Rey. More restaurants, shops, bars, hotels, etc. 

Honestly the only reason I would opt for Marina del Rey with Marriott Bonvoy was if I got a good deal with $$ or points and was going to stay at the Ritz Carlton, which is nice, but still a bit dated. Otherwise it would be Santa Monica without even hesitating. 

The Proper, while I've never stayed there, is in a decent location, gets great reviews, and is walkable down Wilshire to the beach and promenade. Occasionally you can find a decent deal at the Fairmont Miramar which is along the same street as the Proper but in a better location-- that's always been a favorite. You can transfer points from Capital One into Accor to book free nights at the Fairmont or through a bunch of airlines. 

Hilton doesn't have super exciting options in my opinion in Santa Monica and IGH + Hyatt have hardly anything at all. 

Santa Monica has some fun independent hotels like Shutters on the Beach, Casa Del Mar, and The Georgian-- all of which tend to be very pricey except for The Georgian which is a bit more moderate. Shutters and the Fairmont Miramar are my favorite hotels in town if money were no object and you can also book them on points through Amex. 

I think if The Proper was what you were thinking your head is in the right place but you now at least have a little bit of a lay of the land. Definitely really consider staying in Santa Monica over Marina del Rey though. 

Thanks for the quick reply.  

The Petersen - DH is a car guy so this was his one request when he knew we'd be sailing out of LA.  He's wanted to visit for years  If there's a car museum where we travel, we try to include it.  Best one so far was the Louwman in The Hague, Netherlands.   Beaulieu near Southampton up there, too.  Simeone Foundation in Philly was very good, too.  Prince's Collection in Monaco a bit disappointing.  I'm sure there were others, but I don't recall as I'm not the car nut in this duo.  

Thanks for the hotel info.   While I'm a member of ALL Accor, I don't have any points nor do I have any with Capital One, so no transfer there.   Only AMEX and Chase - use those for flights.  So I think I will just book the Proper to lock something in.   (trying to manage details for 3 upcoming trips so going a bit crazy.....)  

Thanks again.  

36 minutes ago, ruready said:

Since you will have a car, staying in the Marina is fine.  You can also rent bikes in the Marina and bike down to Venice Beach or Santa Monica.  We have done this with visitors.  

Thanks for this info.  I have  booked the Proper but will take another look since we don't expect to be in the room much. 

And I will check out the Zimmerman although DH has probably seen his fair share of antique autos (several big shows in our area).  He's more into performance cars now.  Years ago we toured the Porsche factory in Germany and one day we will get to the Ferrari museums (trade offs for all the churches we visit in Europe 😄). 

Gotcha… then he may also like the Marconi museum, although it would be at least an hour away in Orange County.  I am sure you will have fun no matter what you guys do, as long as the weather cooperates!  

The Proper is, basically, a brand new hotel--it opened just prior to the arrival of Covid19...and, by all accounts, is a luxury 5-star hotel.  I don't know it...Though I've lived in the area most of my life, I've actually stayed in a couple of the nicer hotels in Santa Monica--Loews and Marriott LeMerigot--due to attendance at events...and love those hotels.

The Proper, to me, is a bit of a puzzlement.  Why would anyone build a 5-star hotel in Santa Monica in THAT location?  It's on 7th Street between Wilshire and Arizona.  When I was in high school, I had a part time and summer job at the surplus store at 7th and Santa Monica Blvd.  I NEVER would have imagined anyone choosing down the block from that being a high-end tourist destination.

To be real, it's not a LONG walk to anything.  Five blocks to the Third Street Promenade, seven blocks to Palisades Park, about 10-12 blocks from the Santa Monica Pier.  But it's also just a dull, heavily trafficked commercial street several blocks from the more interesting areas.  MOST of the other Santa Monica hotels are either on the beach, south of the pier, along Ocean Avenue across from Palisades Park with ocean views or right ff the Third Street Promenade.  Stay in those hotels and you can either roll right out of the hotel and stroll down the Promenade or wander right out of your hotel onto the beach or onto the pier or along the cliffs of the park..

The general exceptions to the prime area are the two newer chain hotels at 5th and Colorado, built to be near the Metro Station, but still not far from the pier and promenade.  Neither the Hilton nor the LeMeridian Delfina have ever been considered great locations being off the beach and across the 10 Freeway and away from the attractions.

Having a rental car gives you some benefits--because walking isn't an issue...but parking can be.  I'm a local and know where to park.  Certain streets near the Promenade have free street spaces (as opposed to meters)--if you are patient and can find an open spot.  The city operates a few large parking structures within a block to either side of the Promenade--with 90 minutes of free parking and $2.50 an hour past that...But, if you're at the Proper, it's not worth the hassle vis-a-vis the walk.  Parking at the beach or down in Venice to enjoy the Boardwalk, you'll likely just have to deal with high parking fees.

I would probably consider the Proper only if 1)  I wanted to eperience a the brand-new luxury hotel and 2) I was getting a great deal--or free with points.

If you stayed in Marina Del Rey, Venice Beach may be very walkable (depending on which hotel you were at)...There are lots of restaurants both in the Marina AND along Venice Beach (Personally, I recommend C& O Trattoria on Washington Blvd. at the beach...Visiting Santa Monica, you just deal with that parking situation.  Touring elsewhere in the LA area using your hotel as a base, Marina Del Rey is not much difference in convenience than Santa Monica except for often adding ust a few minutes to your drive.  Good luck.

• Like 2

@Bruin Steve You have given me more to think about.  I am trying to use points since we have enough of them (and DH is getting new sports car in July - $$$ - in addition to big trip to Asia shortly after this one). 

So I will look again.  Understand that parking will be an issue wherever.  IF I were to look in Marina Del Rey do you have any suggestions? 

As for the hotels in Santa Monica by the metro, are you referring to the Hampton Inn and the Courtyard?  I read about homeless sleeping around there?  Is it an issue / safe? 

Main requirement is clean, comfortable, does not need to be 5 star, can be mid-range.  We have stayed in our share of Courtyards, etc. We are not high maintenance. 

TIA. 

22 hours ago, the mice said:

but noticed that hotels in Marina del Rey require a lot fewer points and/or $$.     ..

That is because Santa Monica is a better, much more desirable area.

Look at the Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach and westdrift Manhattan Beach too.

• Like 1

The one thing about MdR is that the traffic on PCH (aka Lincoln) is atrocious!!!  I don't know if the old way down Pacific from Santa Monica to Washington and then in to Admiralty Way to the end of MdR to get back on Lincoln.  I used to live on Pacific & 28th Ave and Venice & Canal St back in the day.  

I'd stay in Santa Monica now.

I checked Le Merigot again.  Note on website says "Transformation underway through December 2023 with work confined to specific floors. All amenities remain open. Daily destination fee USD 45 plus tax will be added to room rate." And housekeeping is every third day for that fee!  Well, renovations should be about over by the time we are in Santa Monica, but this is not exactly enticing for more points than staying at the Proper.  Walking a few extra blocks isn't an issue.  NYers are used to walking (I regularly do 3-4 miles carrying 3 lb. weights in each hand).  We might even walk down to Venice Beach from Santa Monica.  

Based on this, I had another thought:

Our flight arrives in LAX on 10/31 around 7:30 and not sure if we will be able to do carry on only since we are cruising for a couple of weeks. Arrival will be like 10:30 ET.  So, I was wondering if we should just stay in a hotel around LAX and then pick up our rental car the next morning and drive to the Petersen museum. Then head to Santa Monica that night for 2 nights.   Have to return the car Friday morning in San Pedro which still might be over the 2 day rental period time (not sure how my corporate retiree rate charges).  But we'd avoid having to deal with picking up the rental car and driving to Santa Monica after night time arrival.  

DH thinks this sounds better to him but he's willing to go either way. OK idea or bad idea?  

29 minutes ago, the mice said:

Walking a few extra blocks isn't an issue.  NYers are used to walking (I regularly do 3-4 miles carrying 3 lb. weights in each hand).  We might even walk down to Venice Beach from Santa Monica.  

If you do walk from Santa Monica to Venice make sure you do a stretch along Main Street and stop at The Galley for some drinks or a bite to eat-- one of LA's great little hole in the walls. Weird but fun little steakhouse. Total nautical kitsch from the 1930's that's somehow made it to today. 

32 minutes ago, the mice said:

But we'd avoid having to deal with picking up the rental car and driving to Santa Monica after night time arrival.  

DH thinks this sounds better to him but he's willing to go either way. OK idea or bad idea?  

Personally I'm a big fan of not moving around a bunch if I can avoid it. Yeah, the night of arrival will be a PITA but you wake up where you'll be home based for 3 days instead of running around. Plus you hit the first morning running with your car already in hand vs going through that process and wasting time when you can be at places like the Petersen. Plus LAX airport hotels are fairly uninspiring. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, princeton123211 said:

Personally I'm a big fan of not moving around a bunch if I can avoid it. Yeah, the night of arrival will be a PITA but you wake up where you'll be home based for 3 days instead of running around. Plus you hit the first morning running with your car already in hand vs going through that process and wasting time when you can be at places like the Petersen. Plus LAX airport hotels are fairly uninspiring. 

For the first night, we will need sleep more than inspiration 😁 so a fancy hotel isn't a necessity.  My DH isn't keen on the idea of dealing with getting the rental car and all that late at night (ala NY time) which is why I posed the question.  But if I really insist, he'll do it, even though he'd rather not.  Does LA have a morning "rush hour" or is it always jammed on the freeways?  Being retired, we don't have rigid timetables anymore, and for these 2 days in LA, we don't have the need to race around. So we don't need to be at the Petersen when it opens.  If we see the Petersen one day and just walk to Venice the other, that's fine with us.  Seeing one of the Getty museums would just be a bonus if we can comfortably fit it in.  

4 hours ago, the mice said:

Does LA have a morning "rush hour" or is it always jammed on the freeways?  Being retired, we don't have rigid timetables anymore, and for these 2 days in LA, we don't have the need to race around.

Traffic can pop up whenever for no reason at all, but the major issues will follow morning and evening rushes. Having the car already in Santa Monica will give you an advantage vs waking up the next morning in LAX and going from there. 

4 hours ago, the mice said:

Seeing one of the Getty museums would just be a bonus if we can comfortably fit it in.  

Neither the main Getty or the Villa are very close to the Petersen. The main Getty museum requires timed tickets that are specific to a date so you'll have to plan in advance for it and there is a monorail ride up and down which can eat some time. 

• Like 1

Logistically speaking, you are far ahead of the game if you get the car the night you arrive and drive one hotel for three nights.

At LAX the car rentals are all off site so if you get the car the next day you'd get a shuttle from the airport to a hotel the night you arrive, take the hotel shuttle BACK to LAX the next day to get a shuttle to the car rental agency.

Now you have your cruise luggage with you. I think it is a very bad idea to have your cruise luggage for a two week trip in the trunk while you are seeing a sight in LA.

• Like 2

Definitely stay in Santa Monica over Marina del Rey. There's so much more to do in Santa Monica, and to walk to from your hotel. You won't regret the choice. 

As for traffic, there is always traffic in LA. One time it took me two hours to go from Santa Monica to Beverly Hills. That's 3 miles. You just never know what is going on or why it's suddenly a hot mess on the roads. 

I lived in Venice Beach and then the South Bay for a long time, but not anymore. We were out there for vacation last summer, however, and we did the late night arrival thing and went ahead and got our car at the airport at midnight and drove to our Airbnb and arrived at 1 am. It was a pain to do that, but so much nicer to wake up that first morning and be settled into where we were staying for our entire visit. You don't want to traipse back and forth to LAX for a car rental, etc. That is just a waste of your vacation time and you never know when a half hour trip can turn into two hours due to unexpected traffic. 

As for your choices, you will LOVE the Petersen automotive museum. it's fantastic. The Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is enjoyable, so you might want to stroll down that, and see the street performers on your unplanned day. Check out Abbott Kinney Blvd. in Venice Beach, too. Lots of interesting shops and things to see there. The Getty is great, but I've heard that now you'll need to reserve parking in advance. It fills up fast. I haven't been there in years so I'm not sure about the process, but there's info on their website. 

Edited by njsmom

@njsmom  Thanks for this additional info.   We have some time to figure out what we want to do other than the Petersen.  So long as we do that, my DH won't care much about anything else!  I will look at the Getty Center and Getty Villa websites and decide if one or the other, or neither, is what we want to do.  Walking and wandering may be just the ticket (or actually, lack thereof!)

Seems like everything now requires timed ticket reservations.  We are fortunate that we did a lot of traveling in the '90s and 2000's before that became a thing.  As organized as I am, I still find it more than a little annoying to have to "timestamp" my vacation.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, the mice said:

@njsmom  Thanks for this additional info.   We have some time to figure out what we want to do other than the Petersen.  So long as we do that, my DH won't care much about anything else!  I will look at the Getty Center and Getty Villa websites and decide if one or the other, or neither, is what we want to do.  Walking and wandering may be just the ticket (or actually, lack thereof!)

Seems like everything now requires timed ticket reservations.  We are fortunate that we did a lot of traveling in the '90s and 2000's before that became a thing.  As organized as I am, I still find it more than a little annoying to have to "timestamp" my vacation.  

I hear you on the timestamp stuff. So annoying! It's why we didn't visit the Getty on our last trip. I used to go there fairly regularly when I lived nearby, often just to wander around the gardens, but now it's such a pain. Throwing out another idea - the South Bay (Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach in particular) offer really cool beach towns. Both Hermosa and Manhattan have piers that you can walk down, and there are nice restaurants on the water for brunch. You might want to look into those and see what you can find. I took my family there on our last trip and they really enjoyed seeing my old haunts. It hadn't changed THAT much from 20 years ago, which isn't usually the case. It's still the South Bay and still full of surfers and a laid-back beach vibe. There's a boardwalk that runs for miles and you can park your car, get out, have lunch, and walk as far as your heart's content to see the scene. If you do that, I'd probably start in Hermosa, eat and park there, and walk north up toward Manhattan Beach. 

I used to live in Hermosa Beach. I love that place. I can't believe how expensive it is now. What I thought was expensive THEN, is insane now! 

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, the mice said:

Seems like everything now requires timed ticket reservations. 

To be fair to the Getty, I believe the main location on the hill has always had timed entry, back to the late 90s, due to parking and the need to utilize the People Mover system to get up to the campus. I can't speak for what the Villa did prior to the main Getty Center opening. 

I could be wrong but I remember even in the early 2000s needing a reservation to go to The Getty and it was a hot ticket. 

16 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

To be fair to the Getty, I believe the main location on the hill has always had timed entry, back to the late 90s, due to parking and the need to utilize the People Mover system to get up to the campus. I can't speak for what the Villa did prior to the main Getty Center opening. 

I could be wrong but I remember even in the early 2000s needing a reservation to go to The Getty and it was a hot ticket. 

I took my mom in 1999 and I didn't need a timed ticket then. but it could have changed soon after. 

Edited by njsmom