Hong Kong Disembark and Flights

I am pondering what to do about flights for a Bangkok to Hong Kong sailing in Feb.  I purchased flights into Siam Reap to visit Angkor Wat precruise, and returning home from Hong Kong.  With Asia heating up, would it be prudent to get a backup flight?  The last port stop before Hong Kong is Hanoi.

O has been substituting Taipei for Hong Kong since they resumed sailing but if things heat up in the South China Sea, Taipei will definitely not be the answer.

My TA is cancelling 6 of the 9 sailings I have booked with O but the 3 remaining bookings are places I really want to visit so I’m keeping those bookings.  After the O debacle in Myanmar, with all the bombings and sanctions and O refusing to cancel the port, I finally cancelled that sailing.  I’d rather be overly cautious in February and have my own back up plan as opposed to relying on O and losing another $24k.

Any opinions on Hong Kong next year and alternative cities to fly home from?

3 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

I am pondering what to do about flights for a Bangkok to Hong Kong sailing in Feb.  I purchased flights into Siam Reap to visit Angkor Wat precruise, and returning home from Hong Kong.  With Asia heating up, would it be prudent to get a backup flight?  The last port stop before Hong Kong is Hanoi.

O has been substituting Taipei for Hong Kong since they resumed sailing but if things heat up in the South China Sea, Taipei will definitely not be the answer.

My TA is cancelling 6 of the 9 sailings I have booked with O but the 3 remaining bookings are places I really want to visit so I’m keeping those bookings.  After the O debacle in Myanmar, with all the bombings and sanctions and O refusing to cancel the port, I finally cancelled that sailing.  I’d rather be overly cautious in February and have my own back up plan as opposed to relying on O and losing another $24k.

Any opinions on Hong Kong next year and alternative cities to fly home from?

IMO: Flying in and out of Hong Kong should be safe.  Its airport is operating smoothly and back to "normal".  Its "national" airline, Cathay Pacific, has  resumed all its flight globally.  Hong Kong has lifted all COVID restrictions and people are travelling all over the world again. 

I would not worry about flying in or out of Hong Kong!

You may not want to put any more trust in O, but would it make sense to let them handle (only) the return air arrangements? That way if there are changes you don't have to mess with them. Understand completely if that is not something you wish to do! 

The airlines I fly have no change/cancel fees, just fare-difference charges. Just wait and see...if you are still unsure when final payment comes around, run the numbers and cancel if they don't come out to your liking. Fly somewhere nice with your flight credits and enjoy yourself. Vacations should not cause this much angst.

Good point about waiting.  If it looks at all dicey closer to final payment, I’ll cancel.  I had a 4 segment B2B2B2B booked but now I’m only going to do the first segment.  Cruises really are getting so stressful with all the no cancellation no refund policies even in war zones.  

The last few land trips I took were so much more relaxing.  One trip, we were staying in Milan, decided spur of the moment to go to Switzerland to see the Matterhorn.  Beautiful train ride and we stayed longer that we anticipated as Zermatt is so much fun and there were spectacular hikes, when we arrived late back in Milan, THE HOTEL HAD NOT SAILED!!!

I purchased the Siem Reap/Hong Kong airline tickets with miles so no worries about cancelling or changing.  Biz tickets are so expensive to Asia that I save miles specifically for those trips.

I’m not concerned about flying to Hong Kong now but they are opening their port for cruise ships in the next few months and if the China/Taiwan situation blows up, I wonder if Hong Kong will be off limits for cruise ships again hence where to disembark fly home from after Vietnam.

I would not count on O for air though.  Too many people have had flights changed or cancelled and O is typically no help in rebooking as they sell a group rate and basically have last priority.  With my FF status, I have fairly good luck rebooking flights.

Hong Kong is now a fully integrated part of the PRC. If anything stupid happens, I would not count on going anywhere in the PRC or Taiwan. I also wouldn’t count on Cathey Pacific being able to fly from there to the US. Probably not a good place to book a cruise to currently.

Pinot, I agree 100%.  I think in that case, which is getting more likely every day, Hong Kong is fully integrated and will be a no go for a very long time.  

The question is, will O be transparent and let us know where the Thailand Vietnam sailing will end if Hong Kong is off the table so we can get flights?  O tends to say everything is peachy until a few days before the sailing then change plans.

I am half tempted to book a backup flight from Singapore back to the US as I know I can get to Singapore from anywhere in Asia.  

1 hour ago, the more ports the better said:

The question is, will O be transparent and let us know where the Thailand Vietnam sailing will end if Hong Kong is off the table so we can get flights?  O tends to say everything is peachy until a few days before the sailing then change plans.

I think you answered your own question.  O will do what is best for O.  Speaking as someone who had O cancel a SA cruise hours before I was scheduled to board a flight to Buenos Aires.  

Anyone who thinks O will do more than the absolute minimum required is going to have a rude awakening when things go south.

I like the product, but I have no more loyalty to the O brand then they have to me.  

Edited by shepherd really

3 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

I am half tempted to book a backup flight from Singapore back to the US as I know I can get to Singapore from anywhere in Asia.  

That is a tempting idea! If you have time you could even plan on a few days in Singapore at the end of your cruise. Then that wouldn't be a "backup" it would be plan A. Less pivoting required if anything changes. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 6:31 AM, the more ports the better said:

Pinot, I agree 100%.  I think in that case, which is getting more likely every day, Hong Kong is fully integrated and will be a no go for a very long time.  

I am on the same Bangkok to Hong Kong sailing in Feb. I purchased the return flight ticket using miles so I can easily cancel and rebook.  If Hong Kong is off the table due to China/Taiwan war, I personally think there will not be cruise ships sailing in Southeast and East Asia.

I believe you are right.  The entire South China Sea will be unstable.  Hopefully it won’t come to that, imagine the world economy if the Straights of Malacca closed.

I did go ahead and purchase back up tickets returning from Singapore.  I also use miles so can chose which flight to take at the last minute.

This itinerary has been at the top of my list for years.  I really hope that we can travel there before the region destabilizes!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 12:50 PM, babysteps said:

That is a tempting idea! If you have time you could even plan on a few days in Singapore at the end of your cruise. Then that wouldn't be a "backup" it would be plan A. Less pivoting required if anything changes. 

Great idea!