What's the best whale watching tour in Icy Strait Point?

Sigyn

On 4/23/2023 at 1:16 PM, njsmom said:

I just booked Hoonah Whale Tours. Says the tours are limited to six people, so that's nice.

Excellent choice.

We were just on them last week!

I chartered it for my wife & I only as her anniversary present.

You can't get much more local than this family!

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Excellent choice.

We were just on them last week!

I chartered it for my wife & I only as her anniversary present.

You can't get much more local than this family!

Capt. Joardan and his wife are great. Just booked our second trip with them. Very personalized excursion.

Edited by Gia2cats

Guys, bout 16 yrs ago, went to Alaska in Sept, an booked a shore excursion with a company there on line, an without sayin names, cuz I can't remember the company's name, believed all the pictures & etc, that I read online, an thought that would be wonderful, took the tour, didn't see much cuz it was a cloudy day, saw a whale or two off in the distance, the owner of the boat, said, "the whales are all here in July & August, before they go down to mexico." Well it was Sept, an other than that, the tour turned out to be a bust. There were five other folks on the tour, from the ship, an ran into them, a couple of days later, an we compared notes, an we all thought the same thing, "the tour was lousy!!" After that, have learned not to believe the internet entirely.

18 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Guys, bout 16 yrs ago, went to Alaska in Sept, an booked a shore excursion with a company there on line, an without sayin names, cuz I can't remember the company's name, believed all the pictures & etc, that I read online, an thought that would be wonderful, took the tour, didn't see much cuz it was a cloudy day, saw a whale or two off in the distance, the owner of the boat, said, "the whales are all here in July & August, before they go down to mexico." Well it was Sept, an other than that, the tour turned out to be a bust. There were five other folks on the tour, from the ship, an ran into them, a couple of days later, an we compared notes, an we all thought the same thing, "the tour was lousy!!" After that, have learned not to believe the internet entirely.

I did a whale watching in Juneau recently also (in addition to Icy Strait Point). Except for in Mexico - all of my whale watching has been done in Juneau. It had been done with 2 companies multiple times (this was a new company this time). Sometimes it was excellent and other times it was tails and backs/fins (mediocre).

So this last time in Juneau - everyone on the boat was thrilled with tails and backs/fins. I wasn't overly impressed as I have seen much better. I wasn't thrilled with that whale watching company I picked up from the dock but it more dealt with the attitude of the Captain and employees than what we saw. A lot does have to do with how much the company is willing to search for the best viewing. For example - in Icy Strait Point, we could have continued watching the one whale but Capt Casey decided to look for something better.

Unfortunately - whales have a mind of their own. You can go with the best company and if the whales are not cooperating, your viewing may be minimal.

Same with bear viewing. I went on a bear watching excursion recently which was sort of risky as the salmon are not running and the bears are just coming out of hibernation. Did I see a ton of bears, nope - I saw 3 but the guide I was with was searching all over and we were lucky and saw 3. They were not up close but I am glad he put in the effort.

So yes - it is entirely possible the whales were not that active the time period you went. If you went in the morning, it is even possible that the afternoon was much better (or vice versa). I also think it is important to spend as much time viewing as possible - 3 hours is much better than 2 hours. It gives you more time for possible viewing.

So last week - I had one excellent whale watching in Icy Strait Point and one mediocre in Juneau. If you go enough -you will eventually have some great trips! Don't give up.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 11:03 AM, Coral said:

The port of Icy Strait Point is sort of bizarre. It is a cruise line invented port where they created all of these excursions there that they run within the port (zip line, gondola, a jungle park which name escapes me, whale watching). Very few passengers get to Hoonah from what I can tell. Hopefully someone who has come multiple times can elaborate.

I grew up in Hoonah, pre-cruise ship days. I've still got friends there. I remember one of them telling me he was enjoying his mid morning coffee in his skivvies in the recliner in the living room. He hears a noise. Peaks through the curtains. It's cruise ship tourists up on his porch, taking pictures of his carefully tended flowers. And then they picked a few.

I think most residents of Hoonah are fine with the cruise ship folks not spending much time in town.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AKStafford said:

I grew up in Hoonah, pre-cruise ship days. I've still got friends there. I remember one of them telling me he was enjoying his mid morning coffee in his skivvies in the recliner in the living room. He hears a noise. Peaks through the curtains. It's cruise ship tourists up on his porch, taking pictures of his carefully tended flowers. And then they picked a few.

I think most residents of Hoonah are fine with the cruise ship folks not spending much time in town.

It really is a cute village. You are probably right - they probably don't want tourists.

Learned something new about you 🙂

Edited by Coral

Hey Coral,when you went to Sitka an went on the bears, eagles & totem pole tour, an you went through the rain forest afterward, did you come upon any plants that had plaques about them, explaining what they were, also any streams, or bridges that you could cross, an also is the rock formations, that the native alaskans build? Was also wonderin, if I give you my email address, could you email me, an send me copies of the every day princess patters? Do realize, that things could change between now an Sept. Thanks.