What's the best whale watching tour in Icy Strait Point?

Sigyn

1 hour ago, Gia2cats said:

Hoonah Whale Tours. Small 6 person boat with Captain Joardan. Hoonahwhaletours.com. Doing that for the second time in June. 

I booked with them for May.

Chartered it for just my wife & I.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 7:59 AM, njsmom said:

Ah, Glacier Wind is sold out for our day. Bummer. 

We've been out with Glacier Wind twice. They are excellent. If they are booked up, call them to see who they recommend for a similar experience. They are very nice. Speak to Teresa.

• Like 2

We took the whale watching excursion thru our ship (Celebrity) and it was fine.  The catamaran held about 40 people.  It didn't take long to reach the area where were were treated to whales bubble feeding, saw lots of fins and tails, and we did have one whale breach.  We were there long enough that about half the passengers got bored of watching the whales which left the rest of us with lots of space to easily move around (upper deck and lower deck).  After leaving the whale watching area, we set out and saw other marine animals, including a raft of otters.  Very cool.

I will be back to ISP in a couple of weeks and we have a whale watching booking with Glacier Wind.  

• 1 month later...

Very pleased with Glacier Wind! Would definitely go in a heart beat with them again.

I prefer small boats and like dealing with local companies directly.

Teresa is amazing to work with at Glacier Wind.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

We have a ship excursion booked ... Discover Alaska's Whales: Small-Group Experience ... will be interesting to see who has been chartered.

I think I saw those boats. There were 7 lined up at the end of the day when I was walking back to the ship (in Icy Strait Point). I took a picture as they were all in formation which I found interesting and odd at the same time 🙂   Edited to add the link I found that said 20 passengers max was for Juneau.

The port of Icy Strait Point is sort of bizarre. It is a cruise line invented port where they created all of these excursions there that they run within the port (zip line, gondola, a jungle park which name escapes me, whale watching). Very few passengers get to Hoonah from what I can tell. Hopefully someone who has come multiple times can elaborate.

image.thumb.jpeg.b4e370d352c0997f3810d878284d6b74.jpeg

Edited by Coral

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Very few passengers get to Hoonah from what I can tell. Hopefully someone who has come multiple times can elaborate.

All you have to do is walk along the water into town.  

All the tourist amenities are at the cruise port, although there is a restaurant, and a hardware type store in town.

4 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

All you have to do is walk along the water into town.  

All the tourist amenities are at the cruise port, although there is a restaurant, and a hardware type store in town.

Well - I did two tours in Hoonah. Whale watching and bear watching.

I guess my point was that the town is not really financially benefitting from the cruise stops. Very few passengers do make it into town. They all stay in the cruise port. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I guess my point was that the town is not really financially benefitting from the cruise stops. Very few passengers do make it into town. They all stay in the cruise port. 

It is all own and operated by the Tribe (with some exceptions).  The tribal members do benefit financially.  They do hire outside seasonal employees to work thru cruise season.  The locals really don't 'need' cruise ship passengers coming into town, but they are welcomed.  Supplies are limited, as there is one barge that comes into port April thru October, so the town isn't really set up to sell to cruise passengers. 

For example, the folks who own Glacier Winds are retired school teachers that lived and worked in Hoonah.  Now they have an amazing summer whale watching business.  As for their supplies, Capt. Shawn travels to Juneau to pick up what he needs.  Community members who want to work during cruise season have ample opportunity to do so.

On 5/28/2023 at 9:32 AM, Coral said:

Very pleased with Glacier Wind! Would definitely go in a heart beat with them again.

I prefer small boats and like dealing with local companies directly.

Teresa is amazing to work with at Glacier Wind.

Teresa and her family run an amazing business.  I highly recommend Glacer Wind for Whale Watching.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, luv2cruise668 said:

Teresa and her family run an amazing business.  I highly recommend Glacer Wind for Whale Watching.

I completely agree! I met Teresa and Casey (and loved them) but have not met Shawn or Kyle. Such a nice family.

This is the first year that I had Icy Strait Point on my itinerary. Will definitely seek it out in the future. One of my best whale watching trips also!

• Like 1