Getting to the pools/hot tubs etc.

Onehowie

Hi all, complete newbie here so forgive me if this has been asked before. I’m going on my first ever cruise (solo) on Iona to the Fjords on 29th April. What do people wear whilst going to and from the pools/ hot tubs etc. I’ve tried researching this and getting mixed replies. Some say robes are available on request…some say not…some say you can purchase them. I don’t particularly want to take a robe with me as it takes up a lot room in my suitcase. I’m staying in a single balcony cabin. Any advice would be appreciated.

15 hours ago, Onehowie said:

Hi all, complete newbie here so forgive me if this has been asked before. I’m going on my first ever cruise (solo) on Iona to the Fjords on 29th April. What do people wear whilst going to and from the pools/ hot tubs etc. I’ve tried researching this and getting mixed replies. Some say robes are available on request…some say not…some say you can purchase them. I don’t particularly want to take a robe with me as it takes up a lot room in my suitcase. I’m staying in a single balcony cabin. Any advice would be appreciated.

A beach type cover up is needed. You do do not use the robes. 

I don't think I've ever seen anyone walking around in a robe. Usually I'd put on my swimwear in the cabin under my normal clothes (or a beach cover up if its hot) and then strip poolside. There's also poolside toilets you could just change in.

On a hot weather cruise I have been known to do the soggy dash back to my cabin with just a towel over my swimwear!

a loose cotton kaftan cover up will do the job and will roll and pack up small in your case.  and you can cover up in it when the sun gets too hot.  If you need to buy I would scout local charity shops for a bargain.   I still have my P and O logo dressing gown (bought as I remember) as a nice souvenir of our 2014 RWC, but that was for cosying up in the cabin rather than going to the pool. 

21 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone walking around in a robe.

I have - several times.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:04 PM, Onehowie said:

Some say robes are available on request

Not on P&O unless you are in a suite.

7 hours ago, sandancer said:

Agree with David - on our Arvia cruise we saw several people walking around in robes. Once even in the buffet. I pointed out to DH that they were suite guests because no one else gets them unless they buy them. 

Or were they coming out of teh Retreat spa area?

22 hours ago, CruiseCrew123 said:

It’s no different to a hotel so just wear your normal pool fiver up/shorts/dress etc . Would you walk around a hotel in a robe ? 

Onehowie's cruising to the fjords though - will it be cold wandering around in a cossie?

Hi, we did Iona to fjords in March last year, I put a loose dress over costume, in the jacuzzis on the side at the time there was a max number allowed in and time limit of 15 mins if people were waiting. There are chairs at the side. So be mindful of how warm/cold it may be whilst waiting, some people ignored the 15 min limit!  Afterwards whilst wet we wrapped in towels and made our way back with the towel under the dress, as was too cold to sit and wait to dry. There are toilets you could nip into to change if you prefer.

also in the bigger jucuzzis at the back some inconsiderate parents allowed their young children under 5 to go in without supervision, and the 3 year old was “diving “ under . Not very nice getting splashed whilst trying to read a book or relax.

• Like 1